Link: Dont'a Hightower Saves The Super Bowl And Nobody Notices...

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
3. Dont’a Hightower saves the Super Bowl and nobody notices. You’ll remember that play Butler made for the rest of your life if you’re a football fan. What you probably already don’t remember, though, is what happened on the previous play. You already know that Lynch ran the ball for four yards to set up that second-and-goal situation on the 1-yard line. Do you know why he didn’t get into the end zone? Watch what no. 54 does here:

That’s an incredible play by Hightower in a spot where the margin for error is basically nil. First, he fights off a block from one of the best left tackles in football, Russell Okung. That gives him a tiny window in which to tackle Lynch, arguably the most difficult man in football to bring down, and Lynch is running away from a basically standstill Hightower at full speed. Hightower somehow manages to dive at Lynch’s knees and trip him up, with Akeem Ayers diving on a falling Lynch as the Seahawks star goes down.
If Hightower doesn’t get off Okung’s block, it’s a touchdown. If Hightower doesn’t get enough of a swat at Lynch’s knees, he either runs in for a touchdown or Ayers’s tackle drags him into the end zone. Sure, the Seahawks made the wrong call to throw the football on the next play. Seattle fans are going to spend the rest of their lives stewing over that call. As easy as it is to say the Seahawks lost this game because of their own mistakes, the Patriots had to make some incredible plays to win. Hightower’s Super Bowl–saving tackle was one of the plays that will unfairly get lost in the shuffle.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/super-bowl-new-england-patriots-seattle-seahawks/

RTR!!!!:biga2:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Dont'a Hightower Saves The Super Bowl And Nobody Notice

It was just one play in the game. There were a lot of great plays in that game. The fact that the play occurred late in the game makes it no more crucial, IMO.

ETA - Not taking anything away from Hightower. He had a great game. Just de-emphasizing the last few plays of the game.

Last edited:

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

It was just one play in the game. There were a lot of great plays in that game. The fact that the play occurred late in the game makes it no more crucial, IMO.
you wouldn't say that if the play had been made by some ole OSU player!;)

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

Kind of reminds me of the 3rd down stop in the 79 Sugar Bowl. Everybody remembers the great 4th down stop to beat Penn St but the play before was maybe better.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

ETA - Not taking anything away from Hightower. He had a great game. Just de-emphasizing the last few plays of the game.

Just one play....but a very important play that helped seal the win. Almost like CJ tipping the pass from Aaron Murphy to seal the SECCG. Or even the extra yards that TJ got when he was stopped. He didn't score, but that one play set up the AJ to Cooper touchdown. I will never forget that "one play" that TJ made.

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa

This makes it a little more impressive

@RapSheet: With the Super Bowl over, the plan is for #Patriots LB Dont'a Hightower to have labrum surgery, I’m told. Played mostly with one arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

Then why do teams defer the kickoff or want the ball last in OT? The later in the game it is the more important the play becomes, depending of course on the score. I know the other argument, just don't buy it.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN

I agree that plays that occur late in the game sometimes get too much attention. However, given what is at stake, I think making an amazing play late in the game is more crucial, if only because of the increased pressure. If a guy makes two pressure free throws to win a basketball game, that's a bigger deal than someone making those baskets early in the game, even though both counted for two points.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I agree that plays that occur late in the game sometimes get too much attention. However, given what is at stake, I think making an amazing play late in the game is more crucial, if only because of the increased pressure. If a guy makes two pressure free throws to win a basketball game, that's a bigger deal than someone making those baskets early in the game, even though both counted for two points.
I can't argue your point - it makes too much sense. The play was awesome. I'll leave it there.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Wouldn't have been just one play if he hadn't made it. It would have been the play that won the Super Bowl.
Assuming that Brady didn't take the Pats all the way down the field to tie it or win it. Remember, the Seahawks scored in just 29 seconds at the end of the first half. They got the ball with 31 seconds left. You just never know.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004

Great play, with his injury, maybe even epic. Super Bowl saving I can't go that far. What I would do if I was Hightower though is, call Barkey's fat butt and tell him I got a ring and BAMA gave the Barn a beatdown.

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida

Agreed

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.