Link: Dont'a Hightower Saves The Super Bowl And Nobody Notices...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Re: Dont'a Hightower Saves The Super Bowl And Nobody Notice

It's still a Bama site -- we can give Hightower 100% credit for the win, if we want to.....

it's our prerogative !

We don't need permission to make our own decisions.....
;)

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

I bet his coaches noticed that play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA

Yep. He has a torn labrum and will have surgery.
Torn labrum is no joke, I tore mine, and I couldn't do mundane tasks like put on a shirt ( easily) or reach into my back pocket. I don't even want to think about tackling an NFL RB...

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL

Hightower was a big reason they were there in the first place. I sure would like to see more Bama players on that team, they would at least get an opportunity. Are you listening Mark?

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)

The fact that the play occurred late in the game makes it no more crucial, IMO.
Plays in sports are not fungible - especially in sports that are timed.

The later in the game that a particular play occurs, the less time there is for teams to adjust to the circumstance.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

Hightower was a big reason they were there in the first place. I sure would like to see more Bama players on that team, they would at least get an opportunity. Are you listening Mark?
NE's backfield is more muddled than NO's. I think the Patriots had 5 different starting RB's this year.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

NE's backfield is more muddled than NO's. I think the Patriots had 5 different starting RB's this year.
Very good point. I think they should make Blount the man and he would be a super star IMO.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)

Very good point. I think they should make Blount the man and he would be a super star IMO.
I don't think NE likes to have a star running back - they seem to prefer a running back by committee approach.

Lot's of teams try that approach, but really only the Patriots have seem to make it work. Maybe it's because they don't seem to rotate the backs during the game.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

Pegging a guy with the volatility level of Blount as one of your teams superstars doesn't seem like something that New England would do. Blount's talent has never been in question but he seems to be less than stable.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014

It was just one play in the game. There were a lot of great plays in that game. The fact that the play occurred late in the game makes it no more crucial, IMO.

ETA - Not taking anything away from Hightower. He had a great game. Just de-emphasizing the last few plays of the game.
You can't win a game on the first plays of the game. But you can on the last plays of the game.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Pegging a guy with the volatility level of Blount as one of your teams superstars doesn't seem like something that New England would do. Blount's talent has never been in question but he seems to be less than stable.
Good point but if anyone can do it it is Belichick and the Pats. He is the perfect NFL RB in the Lacy, Lynch, Bell mold.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

You can't win a game on the first plays of the game. But you can on the last plays of the game.
That thought process doesn't take into consideration everything that happens over the course of a game to make the last play relevant. Change any number of outcomes over the course of that game and none of the last few minutes would have mattered.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham

It was just one play in the game. There were a lot of great plays in that game. The fact that the play occurred late in the game makes it no more crucial, IMO.

ETA - Not taking anything away from Hightower. He had a great game. Just de-emphasizing the last few plays of the game.
Hindsight is 20/20.

Sure, some plays throughout the game are as impactful as those at end but it's foolish to say a TD saving tackle in the waning seconds of game isn't more crucial than a 3rd down PBU early in the 3rd. We don't know what would have happened without that PBU but we do know what was prevented because that tackle was made inside the 5.

I agree in that every play should be played like the SB depends on it but the reality is not every play is weighted the same.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA

That thought process doesn't take into consideration everything that happens over the course of a game to make the last play relevant. Change any number of outcomes over the course of that game and none of the last few minutes would have mattered.
So you would assign the same value to a 3 point lead taken with 13:42 remaining in the 3rd quarter as a 3 point lead taken with 0:30 left in the game?

If you were the opposing coach, would you feel as comfortable being down by 3 with 0:30 left in the game as you would being down by 3 with almost two quarters left in the game? The answer to that question indicates the true worth of a TD-saving tackle late in the 4th quarter as opposed to the same play earlier in the game. The outcome in the final score might not be different, but the probability of winning the game is greatly affected by when the play occurs because that factor affects how many opportunities to overcome a deficit will be afforded to the team that is behind on the scoreboard at that time.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

So you would assign the same value to a 3 point lead taken with 13:42 remaining in the 3rd quarter as a 3 point lead taken with 0:30 left in the game?

If you were the opposing coach, would you feel as comfortable being down by 3 with 0:30 left in the game as you would being down by 3 with almost two quarters left in the game? The answer to that question indicates the true worth of a TD-saving tackle late in the 4th quarter as opposed to the same play earlier in the game. The outcome in the final score might not be different, but the probability of winning the game is greatly affected by when the play occurs because that factor affects how many opportunities to overcome a deficit will be afforded to the team that is behind on the scoreboard at that time.
We are talking past one another. You are talking about one thing, and I am talking about another. No single play decides a game - EVER.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham

We are talking past one another. You are talking about one thing, and I am talking about another. No single play decides a game - EVER.
You're over-thinking this and wanting to play some sort of abstract theory game. For most games you may be correct but not this one. A last second interception at the goal line does decide a game. Same as if Lynch would have toted the ball in.

There's a reason teams hold up 4 fingers and coaches institute S&C programs (4th Quarter), it's because they realize there are more crucial and decisive times in a game than others.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.