Link: Is Marshawn Lynch sending kids the wrong message? Larry Foote thinks so.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well very few people had problems when the 90's cowboys so I really dont see why everyone is so upset about the Seahawks. I wasnt pulling for the hawks on sunday, but I dont hate them like some do. I actually think Sherman and lynch are great players. I think the public has a dislike of sherman because he runs his mouth,but fails to mention that more often than not he is classy after the game (exceptions U mad bro and Crabtree). I feel like the NFL has invented this persona altogether for Lynch tho. I really dont see the issue of not wanting to talk to the media. Seriously how many of you before 2013 wanted to hear a word that marshawn lynch said, but where marshawn crosses the line is some of his vulgar celebrations. but then again the NFL made him the villian, and he is giving it back to them. The NFL should seriously stop worrying about something as petty as someone not wanting to talk to the media and start worrying about some of the players activities off the field.

Last edited:

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
It's sad that the media takes themselves so seriously on this issue. SNL could do a skit on this, comedy gold. A group of sportswriters could conspire before an expected interview, and ask him off-the-wall questions, one-word questions...I don't know, something to make it funny and interesting. Whining...hmmmm...not interesting.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Lynch has a foundation where he works hands-on with kids. By doing so, he's making himself a guy kids look up to.
And I'd humbly suggest those kids know more about who he really is than we'll ever get from the media snippets we're using for judgement.

Would I act like he does? No, probably not. But I'm not going to act like he's doing something wrong when I'm only seeing a very tiny sliver of his life.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
On a serious note. I think a lot of the disdain from the average Joe comes from the fact that these guys live in such a different world than the normal person. They complain about having to give interviews while making millions upon millions per year in salary. It's hard getting someone with an 8-5/40+ hour a week "regular" job to feel sorry for someone whose "problem" is talking to the media while raking in millions of dollars playing football. Does the media ask the same stupid questions over and over and over? Yup, but at the end of the day, having to go through the dog and pony show (while making mega millions) is nothing. If they don't like it so bad then quit and go get a regular job with the rest us commoners.

I can promise you that six months at having to clock in at 8 and clock out at 5 while making $12/hour would do a lot of these guys some good. It would definitely put a lot of things into perspective. Heck, pay me the kind of money Lynch makes and I'll answer any dang question you want to ask.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
On a serious note. I think a lot of the disdain from the average Joe comes from the fact that these guys live in such a different world than the normal person. They complain about having to give interviews while making millions upon millions per year in salary. It's hard getting someone with an 8-5/40+ hour a week "regular" job to feel sorry for someone whose "problem" is talking to the media while raking in millions of dollars playing football. Does the media ask the same stupid questions over and over and over? Yup, but at the end of the day, having to go through the dog and pony show (while making mega millions) is nothing. If they don't like it so bad then quit and go get a regular job with the rest us commoners.

I can promise you that six months at having to clock in at 8 and clock out at 5 while making $12/hour would do a lot of these guys some good. It would definitely put a lot of things into perspective. Heck, pay me the kind of money Lynch makes and I'll answer any dang question you want to ask.
A lot of the gripe for people who like college and not the NFL usually list the reason "I dont follow it because they get payed X amount of money to play football.". What people fail to realize is that it is a 6 day a week job that they can lose at anytime and the lower life expectancy and later life health issues that come with it . Its not like college where they practice after school or during special periods during the day and then they are done. It isnt like they are just handed the millions of dollars for nothing. Now Ill agree some salaries are ridiculous.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...756606-an-inside-look-at-game-week-in-the-nfl

Back to Lynch... He has a reason he doesnt do interviews, and if he is better at his game when he avoids interviews then the NFL probably should attempt to compromise with him if players in front of a mic is a huge deal. Lynch at first was civil about the issue, but the NFL and media outlets labeled him a villian and he ran with it. Lynch has done Tv spots and actual interviews through the year that noone mentions like Ink master and Conan last week so its not like he is totally reclusive. Like I said, other than the obscene gestures I think the NFL should let him be, because him and lacy are the only huge marketable rbs in the league since Rice and Peterson did what they did. and the more the NFL pushes lynch will push back.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
A lot of the gripe for people who like college and not the NFL usually list the reason "I dont follow it because they get payed X amount of money to play football.". What people fail to realize is that it is a 6 day a week job that they can lose at anytime and the lower life expectancy and later life health issues that come with it . Its not like college where they practice after school or during special periods during the day and then they are done. It isnt like they are just handed the millions of dollars for nothing. Now Ill agree some salaries are ridiculous.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...756606-an-inside-look-at-game-week-in-the-nfl

Back to Lynch... He has a reason he doesnt do interviews, and if he is better at his game when he avoids interviews then the NFL probably should attempt to compromise with him if players in front of a mic is a huge deal. Lynch at first was civil about the issue, but the NFL and media outlets labeled him a villian and he ran with it. Lynch has done Tv spots and actual interviews through the year that noone mentions like Ink master and Conan last week so its not like he is totally reclusive. Like I said, other than the obscene gestures I think the NFL should let him be, because him and lacy are the only huge marketable rbs in the league since Rice and Peterson did what they did. and the more the NFL pushes lynch will push back.
* NFL jobs aren't the only jobs that have this impact. There are a lot of much lower paying jobs that aren't good for long term health and work six days a week.

**I asked this earlier but didn't get an answer. Aren't media obligations written into player's contracts that they sign? Or the labor agreement?

briancm

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2003
Sheffield, AL USA
Don't ask him any questions, don't look at him, don't write stories about him, walk away, in time he will start talking as he should. IMO. If he doesn't, we don't have to listen or read his repeated statement.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
NFL jobs aren't the only jobs that have this impact. There are a lot of much lower paying jobs that aren't good for long term health and work six days a week.
This will probably step on some toes but I'd wager most NFL players have consistently worked harder than most anyone (physically) to get (and stay) where the are, but I get your point.

I asked this earlier but didn't get an answer. Aren't media obligations written into player's contracts that they sign? Or the labor agreement?
I'm sure it's part of the contract, hence his doing the bare minimum to avoid being fined. He hates doing them.

*shrugs*

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
If the media ask real questions it would be one thing, but they hammer these guys, knowing full well they can't answer how they want to. Look at how they ruffed up CNS at Miami, when the had him between a rock and a hard place.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
That's like saying "Im a genius in school, so I don't have to do the work".
That's certainly not what I meant.

There is a story about Jimmy Johnson, when coaching the Cowboys, finding a special teamer asleep in a meeting. He cut him. Asked what he would have done if Troy Aikman had been asleep, Johnson replied that that was easy...he would have gone over and woken him up.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
* NFL jobs aren't the only jobs that have this impact. There are a lot of much lower paying jobs that aren't good for long term health and work six days a week.

**I asked this earlier but didn't get an answer. Aren't media obligations written into player's contracts that they sign? Or the labor agreement?
* Yes there are, but if they found a way to get in a position to make millions of dollars legally then good for them.

**This is the grey area of the arguement.

Players – Players must be available to the media following every game and regularly during the practice week as required under league rules and their contracts and as noted above. It is not permissible for any player or any group of players to boycott the media. Star players, or other players with unusually heavy media demands, must be available to the media that regularly cover their teams at least once during the practice week in addition to their required post-game media availability. This applies to a maximum of one or two players per team only. The minimum for such players does not include other required media obligations such as visiting team conference calls, network production meetings, and national media interviews arranged by the team.
All NFL players, upon request of their club public relations director, are required to participate in weekly conference calls with the media from the opposing team’s city. While a player is encouraged to be available for this call every time he is requested by his club public relations director, no player is required to do more than five such opposing team/media conference calls each regular season. No player, however, can refuse to participate in the weekly media conference call during the playoffs.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Look, when you make millions of and your skill set is pretty useless outside of a game kids play for free, you should really try to do what that organization asks. They want him to answer questions so the people who pay his salaries can read about him, watch him on espn, or see him on the internet. His total lack of respect for this process is a total lack of respect for the people who allow him the privilege to make millions playing a game.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Look, when you make millions of and your skill set is pretty useless outside of a game kids play for free, you should really try to do what that organization asks. They want him to answer questions so the people who pay his salaries can read about him, watch him on espn, or see him on the internet. His total lack of respect for this process is a total lack of respect for the people who allow him the privilege to make millions playing a game.

Well people label richard Sherman as a donkey because he wont shut up, and Marshawn Lynch a donkey becuse he wont speak up. But the crazy thing is they both have college degrees to fall back on plus they still would get endorsement deals after they get out. So they would still be making a considerable amount of money even if they get out now, and people would still be complaining because they are making bookuus of money while sitting on the beach,smoking monte cristos, and going to work when they feel like it. So I think they would be considerablly successful without the NFL.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Lynch is a great RB. As for the rest - he shows us what he wants us to see. We certainly don't see enough to know the man. I don't care for his actions, but I don't care for what constitutes journalism today, either - so I don't mind his form of rebellion. Not sure what the whole "crotch grabbing" thing is all about, but it makes him look really foolish. My oldest son said that he needs to learn a new trick because that one is "so last week".

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
Did you watch the espn special BROKE! 70% of these guys loose EVERYTHING within 4 years of leaving the game. They have NO CLUE how to manage money or know what its like to have to actually work for anything. I don't think there will be many takers on a .... eyed crotch grabber for endorsements after he is done with football. My money is that Lynch will be penny less within 7-10 years, I doubt his "intended studies" of "Social Welfare" at Cal, (I could not find out if he graduated) are going to provide him with the same amount of security that he has now, so I hope those ACL'S hold up for the punk. Sherman, although a loud mouth, appears to be fairly intelligent so maybe he will make it into the 30% that actually keep some of there money. Anyway, stand up to da man, show the world how bad you are and keep grabbing your crotch and pay dat fine bro! Oyea Donte Hightower says good luck at the drive thru in 5 years.
Well people label richard Sherman as a donkey because he wont shut up, and Marshawn Lynch a donkey becuse he wont speak up. But the crazy thing is they both have college degrees to fall back on plus they still would get endorsement deals after they get out. So they would still be making a considerable amount of money even if they get out now, and people would still be complaining because they are making bookuus of money while sitting on the beach,smoking monte cristos, and going to work when they feel like it. So I think they would be considerablly successful without the NFL.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Methinks the NFL became WAY too self-important at some point during the last decade or two. It is becoming almost unwatchable because of the daily soap opera it produces.

Oh and yes. The media is the worst part of that soap opera.
Couldn't agree more. This year I decided to not watch any ESPN or other sports shows concerning the NFL (except for about 15 min of media conjecture after the Super Bowl -- that was all I could stand). I ended up enjoying it much more. I may watch more games next season. I'm ok with free speech but the media spoils the game no matter the sport.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Did you watch the espn special BROKE! 70% of these guys loose EVERYTHING within 4 years of leaving the game. They have NO CLUE how to manage money or know what its like to have to actually work for anything. I don't think there will be many takers on a .... eyed crotch grabber for endorsements after he is done with football. My money is that Lynch will be penny less within 7-10 years, I doubt his "intended studies" of "Social Welfare" at Cal, (I could not find out if he graduated) are going to provide him with the same amount of security that he has now, so I hope those ACL'S hold up for the punk. Sherman, although a loud mouth, appears to be fairly intelligent so maybe he will make it into the 30% that actually keep some of there money. Anyway, stand up to da man, show the world how bad you are and keep grabbing your crotch and pay dat fine bro! Oyea Donte Hightower says good luck at the drive thru in 5 years.
If you are talking about most of the high draft picks that end up busts then you are 100% correct, but most late projected players have their degrees and a plan B. As far as Lynch its hard to say, because he has ridiculous endorsement deals and he is a marketable player. If you need proof of someone like him then look no further than Alexander City's very own TO. He still is doing pretty well for himself and so is the Boz.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
If you are talking about most of the high draft picks that end up busts then you are 100% correct, but most late projected players have their degrees and a plan B. As far as Lynch its hard to say, because he has ridiculous endorsement deals and he is a marketable player. If you need proof of someone like him then look no further than Alexander City's very own TO. He still is doing pretty well for himself and so is the Boz.
Let me ask you, did TO and the Boz get in front of the camera and say, "I'm only here because I have to be?" No. They made themselves marketable by being available and giving the reporters something to write. When I've heard him speak I'm not really sure Lynch is qualified to shake salt on fries at McDonald's, much less endorse any product that may require some sort of recognizable verbal communication.

I will add this after pulling up several YouTube videos of his interviews. He's a joke. He's a waste. He has zero respect for his fans and the people who have put him in the lap of luxury by spending their hard earned money to buy his jerseys, watch him play, or purchase anything he endorses. He epitomizes what's wrong with the NFL: Talent trumps all.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.