Link: Is Marshawn Lynch sending kids the wrong message? Larry Foote thinks so.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
It doesn't seem like the Seahawks mind. I guess the league is the regulatory body, like the SEC and FINRA. That is who he seems to be showing defiance toward. Good for him.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
Eh...the reality is that developing or possessing a unique skill set provides one the leverage to comply or not. I think it is more important to encourage kids to develop skills than to comply with a system. The reality is that, to some extent or another, everybody leverages their skills for something. It may be money, or it may be autonomy, or it may be something else. Better to be a little cocky and willing to work to back it up than to focus on submission/compliance.
In practice, I wouldn't disagree with Foote in 99% of the cases, but I think calling Lynch out on this is bogus. Lynch seems to a have a pretty good idea of how valuable his skills are and what that affords him. The problem is not that Lynch knows what he's worth, it's that a bunch of kids without skills don't.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sports writers and commentators are just upset that Lynch has the gall to tell them to their faces how unimportant they really are.
Larry Foote isn't a sports writer. He's an Arizona Cardinals LB. His comments weren't just about Lynch not talking, either:

"The biggest message he's giving these kids, he might not want to admit it, is 'The hell with authority. I don't care, fine me. I'm gonna grab my crotch. I'm gonna do it my way.'"

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Larry Foote isn't a sports writer. He's an Arizona Cardinals LB. His comments weren't just about Lynch not talking, either:
I was reacting to the video on the link, sorry, should have made that clear.

As for everything else, the sooner people realize that someone shouldn't be their kids' role model just because they're good at playing a game, the better off we'll all be.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
In fact, regarding press responsibilities, Lynch has pretty much perfected figuring out exactly what compliance is required of him and offering exactly that.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I was reacting to the video on the link, sorry, should have made that clear.

As for everything else, the sooner people realize that someone shouldn't be their kids' role model just because they're good at playing a game, the better off we'll all be.
Again, go back to what Foote says:

"He always mentions his foundation and what he likes to do for the city of Oakland," Foote said in an interview with 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh. "I'm from the same type of urban environment that he's from.
Lynch has a foundation where he works hands-on with kids. By doing so, he's making himself a guy kids look up to.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
It is going to be hard to dispute Foote, if we accept his view of Lynch's message. One can also see someone who is standing up for what he believes, and not simply going along with the status quo.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It is going to be hard to dispute Foote, if we accept his view of Lynch's message. One can also see someone who is standing up for what he believes, and not simply going along with the status quo.
I don't care one way or the other about it to be honest. But isn't speaking responsibilities in the contract the player's sign to play in the NFL?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm under no illusions as to Lynch's suitability as a role model. Kids shouldn't act the way he conducts himself in public.

But there are dozens of other players who do far worse, and get no rebuke for it. At least as far as what's publicly known about him, he's far down the list of players I'd single out.

Hooks4bama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2005
Montgomery
Eh...the reality is that developing or possessing a unique skill set provides one the leverage to comply or not. I think it is more important to encourage kids to develop skills than to comply with a system. The reality is that, to some extent or another, everybody leverages their skills for something. It may be money, or it may be autonomy, or it may be something else. Better to be a little cocky and willing to work to back it up than to focus on submission/compliance.
In practice, I wouldn't disagree with Foote in 99% of the cases, but I think calling Lynch out on this is bogus. Lynch seems to a have a pretty good idea of how valuable his skills are and what that affords him. The problem is not that Lynch knows what he's worth, it's that a bunch of kids without skills don't.
That's like saying "Im a genius in school, so I don't have to do the work".

I don't see a problem with the way he goes about answering questions. The rule doesn't state you have to give well articulated answers to the media. If the media had any sense, they wouldn't ask a question 20 more times after the first 10 were all the same.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So being fined once for grabbing his crotch and then doing it again, which leads to a second fine is standing up for what he believes?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
So being fined once for grabbing his crotch and then doing it again, which leads to a second fine is standing up for what he believes?
That's how he stands up for what he believes in, by grabbing his crotch. My dog does something similar. When I tell him to go outside and he doesn't want to. He casually raises his leg and begins licking himself as if he didn't hear me.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I feel like this is simpler than we're making it. An athlete known as BeastMode grabbed his crotch. That's kind of the extent of it. He's not a distraction to his team and he isn't known around the league as a 'thug' as far as i know. Heck, the guy is best known for:

EATING SKITTLES.

Seriously, if Larry Foote, or anyone for that matter, wants to dissect the validity of NFL players as role models go ahead...but Lynch isn't TO, Michael Irvin, Ray Rice, Suh, Albert Haynesworth, Hernandez, or any of the NFL big names with lengthy histories. I've seen worse while watching The Simpsons.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Methinks the NFL became WAY too self-important at some point during the last decade or two. It is becoming almost unwatchable because of the daily soap opera it produces.

Oh and yes. The media is the worst part of that soap opera.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Methinks the NFL became WAY too self-important at some point during the last decade or two. It is becoming almost unwatchable because of the daily soap opera it produces.

Oh and yes. The media is the worst part of that soap opera.
It's when people showed they'd pay anything to watch it. Anyone ever priced the NFL Sunday Ticket? Gone to an NFL game lately? It's ridiculous at what it costs yet it seems people can't get enough. It's all about supply and demand. There's a huge demand for the NFL and it appears there's no end in sight.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.