Link: Is Marshawn Lynch sending kids the wrong message? Larry Foote thinks so.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
Dude Have you looked up TO's net worth??????? he has $0. His house is in forclosure, bankruptcy etc etc. also Im not talking about just high pick draft bust Im talking about the entire league. Look it up its widely known for the two players you named I could name 20 that are in the poor house. Just because they sign lucrative deals now does not mean they will have it 10 years from now. Heck Mike Tyson blew 300 million, Darrel Strawberry over 100 million, Kurt Schilling 65 million and the NFL guys are just as bad. Im just saying Ill bet Lynch falls into the 70%,... the dude can tote the rock but the dude aint smart.
If you are talking about most of the high draft picks that end up busts then you are 100% correct, but most late projected players have their degrees and a plan B. As far as Lynch its hard to say, because he has ridiculous endorsement deals and he is a marketable player. If you need proof of someone like him then look no further than Alexander City's very own TO. He still is doing pretty well for himself and so is the Boz.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
People defying authority has led to some of the greatest moments in our world's history.
I absolutely love your posts most times WMack, but I'm going to need you to tell me how being a jerk in an interview for your fans is going to change world history. He's not standing up for other players, he's not defending rights of the downtrodden or misrepresented. He's pitching a five year old tantrum because he doesn't want to be there. Nothing more. I'm sure everyone on this board does something that they don't like to do at their job for far less money than this guy does. Why can't he suck it up and answer questions for five minutes?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I absolutely love your posts most times WMack, but I'm going to need you to tell me how being a jerk in an interview for your fans is going to change world history. He's not standing up for other players, he's not defending rights of the downtrodden or misrepresented. He's pitching a five year old tantrum because he doesn't want to be there. Nothing more. I'm sure everyone on this board does something that they don't like to do at their job for far less money than this guy does. Why can't he suck it up and answer questions for five minutes?
Couple things: I'm not equating him to Joan of Arc, the Boston Tea Party, or the Civil Rights Movement. Just saying that defiance isn't the wrong message to kids. They should be encouraged to challenge the status quo.

As for Lynch in particular, maybe he has social anxiety. Maybe he feels that at some point in the past, his character was unjustly besmirched by someone in sports media. In any event, it's not like what's happening now came from nowhere. For the past 5 years, he's politely declined interview requests. But people still want to shove cameras in his face. There are 57 other guys on that team to talk to. Russell Wilson & Richard Sherman LOVE the camera. Go talk to them.

I've read tweets from several journalists that I respect a lot: "if you don't wanna talk to me, I sure as heck don't wanna talk to you." But yet cameras and mics are shoved in his face.

At this point, I don't know why anyone thinks that you can FORCE this man to do something he doesn't want to do. There are other ways for his fans to interact with him..on his terms and without other people putting words in his mouth.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Dude Have you looked up TO's net worth??????? he has $0. His house is in forclosure, bankruptcy etc etc. also Im not talking about just high pick draft bust Im talking about the entire league. Look it up its widely known for the two players you named I could name 20 that are in the poor house. Just because they sign lucrative deals now does not mean they will have it 10 years from now. Heck Mike Tyson blew 300 million, Darrel Strawberry over 100 million, Kurt Schilling 65 million and the NFL guys are just as bad. Im just saying Ill bet Lynch falls into the 70%,... the dude can tote the rock but the dude aint smart.
What about him says that he's not smart?

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
So why is it that people decry celebrities giving their uninformed opinion on all sorts of things, and then when one doesn't want to, we say he's a jerk?

There's an interesting e60 piece on lynch that can be easily found on youtube.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Listen to what Foote said. He's absolutely correct. He's teaching kids (or even young adults) that it's ok for them to openly defy authority because he does. He should understand and realize that not everyone has the leverage he has, and most importantly, not everyone he is looked up to by has the capacity to understand that doing what he does in the REAL WORLD will get you terminated from your job faster than he can grab his crotch. I guarantee you as soon as his antics outweigh his production his leverage will disappear instantly. Unfortunately that lesson will be lost on those who look up to him.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
In any event, it's not like what's happening now came from nowhere. For the past 5 years, he's politely declined interview requests. But people still want to shove cameras in his face. There are 57 other guys on that team to talk to. Russell Wilson & Richard Sherman LOVE the camera. Go talk to them.
I'm not sure why that simple concept is lost on some people.

If somebody is good at playing football, I'm not sure why they are expected to be good at public relations. We want our sports figures to entertain us while they are on the field, but that's not enough. They are expected to talk to the press. And they better say nice things, we don't want them saying anything that might upset anyone.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Let me ask you, did TO and the Boz get in front of the camera and say, "I'm only here because I have to be?" No. They made themselves marketable by being available and giving the reporters something to write. When I've heard him speak I'm not really sure Lynch is qualified to shake salt on fries at McDonald's, much less endorse any product that may require some sort of recognizable verbal communication.

I will add this after pulling up several YouTube videos of his interviews. He's a joke. He's a waste. He has zero respect for his fans and the people who have put him in the lap of luxury by spending their hard earned money to buy his jerseys, watch him play, or purchase anything he endorses. He epitomizes what's wrong with the NFL: Talent trumps all.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Well the ironic fact is that marshawn lynch has done more than one phrase interviews. They are just not for the nfl. Look at last week's Conan.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah, I just don't have a problem with him refusing to speak to the media. I don't believe any of them should be forced to. Hell, I don't believe the coaches should be forced to, either. They can post the injury reports online now. There really is no need for these ridiculous press conferences every 5 minutes.

Again, I'm just not a fan of today's sports media, especially those who cover the NFL. Folks like JessN and Cecil Hurt are just so rare these days.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yeah, I just don't have a problem with him refusing to speak to the media. I don't believe any of them should be forced to. Hell, I don't believe the coaches should be forced to, either. They can post the injury reports online now. There really is no need for these ridiculous press conferences every 5 minutes.

Again, I'm just not a fan of today's sports media, especially those who cover the NFL. Folks like JessN and Cecil Hurt are just so rare these days.
We all know what's it's about ($$$$). The NFL is a product and the more they can get that product on tv the more advertisers and $$$$ will come a callin'. If the NFL took away the rule of having to talk to the media for everyone (coaches and players). Then you wouldn't have the NFL Network. Most of the shows on ESPN would be non existent. Interviews and access provide material to put on tv and ultimately tv is about the almighty dollar.

Last edited:

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
The irony, of course, is that by making performance art out of his mandatory media availability, Marshawn Lynch fulfills the intent of the rule much better than those who play it straight. Everybody goes nuts about him making a mockery of something that is already a mockery. Why do they keep calling his number when he makes no secret of his disdain for the charade? Because not just despite the hand-wringing, but because of it, everybody wins.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
We all know what's it's about ($$$$). The NFL is a product and the more they can get that product on tv the more advertisers and $$$$ will come a callin'. If the NFL took away the rule of having to talk to the media for everyone (coaches and players). Then you wouldn't have the NFL Network. Most of the shows on ESPN would be non existent. Interviews and access provide material to put on tv and ultimately tv is about the almighty dollar.
You are right. And that is why I do not have the NFL Network, nor do I watch 95% of what ESPN produces. It is a product I'm not interested in consuming. But so many millions are and that's why the charade plays on.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I hate the mainstream media and love how Marshawn handled the press conference. The NFL execs only want these players to do interviews because it brings the league MORE $$$$$$$$. Greedy, irresponsible {insert word that means a child without a father}. The media has a history of asking inappropriate questions and otherwise giving Marshawn (and other players for that matter) a very hard time in interviews when it isn't warranted. They are sharks and jerks. I fully support his "boycott" or "peaceful protest" against the machine that is the media.

I also get sick of all of these holier than thou people who have done no research on Sherman, Lynch or any of the other flambouyant and outspoken players to find out the good things they do in their communities that the media conveniently doesn't cover. Get over yourselves.

Kids like these players because of what they do on the field, not off of it. I have taught my son that vulgar things, like a crotch grab, are rude and classless regardless of who does it. The fact that Marshawn does that is of no effect to him because he knows better. Parents, do YOUR job in raising your kids right and it won't matter if their football idol does something stupid.

Ugh. <rant over>

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm not a Seahawks fan, and I honestly don't care what Marshawn Lynch does.

Kids learn hypocrisy by observing their parents saying one thing and then doing another.

"Don't have sex until you're married" - from the parents who were married and had the kid (uh) prematurely at five months.....

"Don't lie to me" - from the parents who then look at who is calling on the cell phone and say, "No, I'm not talking to them right now" and then call later with the kid watching and say, "Yeah, I wasn't around when you called." This used to be as simple as "tell X I'm not here!"

You tell them to obey the law and then you speed - and then you watch a cop pull over a speeder and tell them how important it is that the law is enforced

"Don't drink until you're 21" -from the parents who then spend time with their old buddies talking about all the evil stuff they used to do, including getting a buddy to buy them beer in college when they were only 17

"Don't cheat on your exams at school, you're only short-changing yourself" - from the same parents who then boast about how the incompetent person running the register gave them $1 too much in change

And my PERSONAL favorite: "Cam Newton and a lot of those black athletes are just poor inner-city kids who was offered six figures. When you're in the city like that you don't know it's wrong."

My response? "Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting a person is dumb enough to think folks just walk through inner-city neighborhoods and fork over $200,000? The mere fact you keep your mouth shut tells you all you need to know about it being wrong."

=================

Does ANYONE seriously think that five minutes of Marshawn Lynch even compares to all the hypocrisy the kids observe firsthand?

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
Selma,

Your points are very valid but I don't think it's just the 5 minutes of Lynch but the constant barrage of that kind of behavior over years from athlete's in all sports, at least it is for me. This just happens to be the most current view of it. As you mentioned with parents, years and years of spoiled athlete's has to take some toll on kids. Which song is it that ask where have all the heroes gone?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Selma,

Your points are very valid but I don't think it's just the 5 minutes of Lynch but the constant barrage of that kind of behavior over years from athlete's in all sports, at least it is for me. This just happens to be the most current view of it. As you mentioned with parents, years and years of spoiled athlete's has to take some toll on kids. Which song is it that ask where have all the heroes gone?
Well its nothing new and the players like Lynch and Sherman are probably not the biggest problems.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
I hate the mainstream media and love how Marshawn handled the press conference. The NFL execs only want these players to do interviews because it brings the league MORE $$$$$$$$. Greedy, irresponsible {insert word that means a child without a father}. The media has a history of asking inappropriate questions and otherwise giving Marshawn (and other players for that matter) a very hard time in interviews when it isn't warranted. They are sharks and jerks. I fully support his "boycott" or "peaceful protest" against the machine that is the media.

I also get sick of all of these holier than thou people who have done no research on Sherman, Lynch or any of the other flambouyant and outspoken players to find out the good things they do in their communities that the media conveniently doesn't cover. Get over yourselves.

Kids like these players because of what they do on the field, not off of it. I have taught my son that vulgar things, like a crotch grab, are rude and classless regardless of who does it. The fact that Marshawn does that is of no effect to him because he knows better. Parents, do YOUR job in raising your kids right and it won't matter if their football idol does something stupid.

Ugh. <rant over>
I like what you said except one thing. Foote is complaining (if I understand correctly) that Lynch has basically set himself up as a role-model for these inner-city kids in Oakland. MANY of those kids don't have parents capable of or interested in teaching the things that you taught your children.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.