Looks Like Alabama Won't Have the No. 1 Class. Does anyone care?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I'll try to tread lightly here. I don't care about rankings anymore. I care about positional coaching and player development. We've had the #1 Class about 6 of the last 8 years and I think we were #3 and #5 the other two years yet we still lose games we shouldn't and have positional weaknesses at times that we shouldn't.

I want to see the OL play to a higher standard and I really want to some competent DB play. We seemed to really make DB a priority this year signing 5 Top Tier guys for that Unit ranked #2,3,4,11, and #13. Add that to Tony Brown and Marlon Humphrey and I am ready to see an end to our secondary getting embarrassed on deep balls. We have the talent so let's get them looking for the ball and knocking it down.

In other words I don't care if we are #1 or #2 or #5 in final recruiting rankings anymore. I want to see that our coaches are getting the best play out of that talent.
Anybody else note during the Super Bowl the DB`s looking back for the ball?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
It IS a great class, but I agree with the poster above in that I think now we need to concentrate a tiny bit more on coaching even if it means not having the #1 class every single year. 10 top 100 players is very impressive, though.

rtr

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It IS a great class, but I agree with the poster above in that I think now we need to concentrate a tiny bit more on coaching even if it means not having the #1 class every single year. 10 top 100 players is very impressive, though.

rtr
Coaching is not the key problem, period, end of story. People easily forget, but you know which school had some of the top classes the past few years? Which one actually had better classes than even what UM was doing at Ohio State?

Florida.

Let that sink in, there coaching was a problem. But, no one wins 'em all. Pete Carroll is clearly a great coach, clearly knew what he was doing, but he didn't win championship after championship at USC, even with the top talent and what was clearly great coaching. Urban Meyer ran out of luck at Florida, even with all the talent and clearly great coaching ability.

There are too many variables, but the main one that eats away at programs like that is the NFL. If you have a guy 3 years instead of 5, that makes a heck of a difference. Losing your best guys every year to the NFL catches up to anyone, even if the coach happens to be good enough to win the BCSCG and the Super Bowl.

Last edited:

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I'll try to tread lightly here. I don't care about rankings anymore. I care about positional coaching and player development. We've had the #1 Class about 6 of the last 8 years and I think we were #3 and #5 the other two years yet we still lose games we shouldn't and have positional weaknesses at times that we shouldn't.

I want to see the OL play to a higher standard and I really want to some competent DB play. We seemed to really make DB a priority this year signing 5 Top Tier guys for that Unit ranked #2,3,4,11, and #13. Add that to Tony Brown and Marlon Humphrey and I am ready to see an end to our secondary getting embarrassed on deep balls. We have the talent so let's get them looking for the ball and knocking it down.

In other words I don't care if we are #1 or #2 or #5 in final recruiting rankings anymore. I want to see that our coaches are getting the best play out of that talent.
I hear what you are saying and don't take it as you criticizing the team. We lost someone who was really good at getting the most out of our db's. I think he was under appreciated when he was here with the job he was doing. Coach Saban is the best in the business but he can't spend to much time on one area. If his sole function was coaching db's we would have never had a drop off but he is involved with every aspect of the program. I think we have some really talented coaches coming in. You don't become a defensive coordinator in the NFL if you don't know your stuff. I would bet the farm we will see major improvements in that department next year. All year I was in the boat of it was just a fluke, the deep passes, but after taking off my crimson glasses once the season ended I can now see we were flawed in the back end. Our defense was outstanding other than deep ball coverage. Get that fixed and we won't come close to losing a game. We all know our run d is nasty and may be better next year.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
The answer to the question, to forgo all of the discussion, is, "Not anyone with an opinion worth listening to."

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I hear what you are saying and don't take it as you criticizing the team. We lost someone who was really good at getting the most out of our db's. I think he was under appreciated when he was here with the job he was doing. Coach Saban is the best in the business but he can't spend to much time on one area. If his sole function was coaching db's we would have never had a drop off but he is involved with every aspect of the program. I think we have some really talented coaches coming in. You don't become a defensive coordinator in the NFL if you don't know your stuff. I would bet the farm we will see major improvements in that department next year. All year I was in the boat of it was just a fluke, the deep passes, but after taking off my crimson glasses once the season ended I can now see we were flawed in the back end. Our defense was outstanding other than deep ball coverage. Get that fixed and we won't come close to losing a game. We all know our run d is nasty and may be better next year.
Who are you thinking of? Greg Brown?

Last edited:

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
Which one actually had better classes than even what UM was doing at Ohio State?

Florida.

Let that sink in, there coaching was a problem.
Ya. And where did Florida's coaching problem end up, now?

Oh yeah.

YAY!

(Seriously, we beat "Boom" everywhere he's been, often badly. They'll get better because THEY CAN'T GET WORSE, but ...)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Ya. And where did Florida's coaching problem end up, now?

Oh yeah.

YAY!

(Seriously, we beat "Boom" everywhere he's been, often badly. They'll get better because THEY CAN'T GET WORSE, but ...)

I suspect Auburn's defense will be better but good night alive. Could it really get any worse? But I agree. We've "toe-up" Muschamp at dang near every stop so I don't think he's striking fear into any of our coaches.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
The only complaint I have is that it was over so early . But , it's been raining all day and I have a tin roof and got some good quality sleep !
Having our entire class signed, sealed and delivered before I've had my second cup of coffee is really a sign of the times here at the Capstone. Being a #1 or #2 rated class overall to boot is extraordinary. Coach really has this thing humming on all cylinders!

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
It is nice to be #1, no doubt about that. But..it doesn't bother me at all. It means more with how you develop their talent than what their ranking is before they even start practicing.

Look back in recent years and you can see how many "busts" there are.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.