Looks Like Alabama Won't Have the No. 1 Class. Does anyone care?

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
I just checked Rivals and, because USC has had a monster day, they are now ahead of us by 32 points in the rankings.
I'm just curious if this bothers anyone.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
No. I've paid little attention to recruiting this year compared to previous years. Actually my interest in recruiting has been waning for the past few years. I'd much rather win a NC in early January than in early February.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I just checked Rivals and, because USC has had a monster day, they are now ahead of us by 32 points in the rankings.
I'm just curious if this bothers anyone.
Slightly bothered by not getting another OT or TE that we wanted, but to complain would be silly considering another group that is loaded with talent and easily among the nations' best. Keyword: slightly.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Consensus instead of unanimous...

and at the end of the day (as the young people say), you still have to go out and play. All of this projecting is just that.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Thanks SJC. We obviously can say we had the #1 class. I appreciate that info and interesting to note the Barn moved up to #2 on Scout and the other services have them in the 6-9 range.
That's not really interesting - certainly not surprising in the least - considering the people involved with that site.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It's a beauty pageant. As long as we finish in the top five, heck even the top ten, we're getting excellent talent.
You pretty much nailed it. People have pretended for a while that the talent gap between say Alabama, and Auburn, Florida, etc... was massive. As I said after the Florida game, it's not! They have been getting a lot of top tier recruits, Alabama might get a couple that are higher rated or what not, but in the end that might mean nothing. It reminds me of someone trying to explain the Alabama and Ohio State talent game, what it came down to was a couple 5 star recruits basically. That alone doesn't mean all that much.

It's been proven that you need good classes to win championships, but if you're hanging around the top ten you'll have the talent pool required, the rest of coaching and really luck, just because a kid had the abilities doesn't mean he'll mature into a game changer.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
It will certainly be interesting when Bama takes the field against the Trojans next year. If Nick is still with us, I hope he can keep his season-opening streak at Alabama intact.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
its all subjective anyway. The fact that we are even top 5 every year re-affirms the idea that we are simply reloading.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'll try to tread lightly here. I don't care about rankings anymore. I care about positional coaching and player development. We've had the #1 Class about 6 of the last 8 years and I think we were #3 and #5 the other two years yet we still lose games we shouldn't and have positional weaknesses at times that we shouldn't.

I want to see the OL play to a higher standard and I really want to some competent DB play. We seemed to really make DB a priority this year signing 5 Top Tier guys for that Unit ranked #2,3,4,11, and #13. Add that to Tony Brown and Marlon Humphrey and I am ready to see an end to our secondary getting embarrassed on deep balls. We have the talent so let's get them looking for the ball and knocking it down.

In other words I don't care if we are #1 or #2 or #5 in final recruiting rankings anymore. I want to see that our coaches are getting the best play out of that talent.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'll try to tread lightly here. I don't care about rankings anymore. I care about positional coaching and player development. We've had the #1 Class about 6 of the last 8 years and I think we were #3 and #5 the other two years yet we still lose games we shouldn't and have positional weaknesses at times that we shouldn't.

I want to see the OL play to a higher standard and I really want to some competent DB play. We seemed to really make DB a priority this year signing 5 Top Tier guys for that Unit ranked #2,3,4,11, and #13. Add that to Tony Brown and Marlon Humphrey and I am ready to see an end to our secondary getting embarrassed on deep balls. We have the talent so let's get them looking for the ball and knocking it down.

In other words I don't care if we are #1 or #2 or #5 in final recruiting rankings anymore. I want to see that our coaches are getting the best play out of that talent.
No team wins all their games, period. No matter the talent, no matter the coaches. Alabama has been by far the best team over the past few years, and if your aspirations go beyond that, the only real issues is your aspirations.

Edit: There are far too many variables, and one of them is experience. No team can always have an experienced secondary, it can't happen because a guy has to go from inexperienced to experienced while playing. The problem is, once again Alabama loses their best guy in the secondary, which happens every year, and ironically the problem is the talent...

The scholarship limit also is severe, plus the signing limit. Alabama only gets so many shots, and if they miss? There's only so much to be done.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Truth be told, Bama wasn't filling all of its needs in some of those classes. The OL talent wasn't great the last couple of seasons. Much better after the last two recruiting classes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.