David Cornwell & Blake Barnett

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I know Blake Barnett is the flavor of the latest recruiting class when it comes to quarterbacks. But if you have time go pull some HS film on Cornwell throwing the ball. He's got NFL written all over him. Amazing quick release and to be honest just looks the part. What are the chances we keep both these guys and can we space them out enough to make that possible?

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I know Blake Barnett is the flavor of the latest recruiting class when it comes to quarterbacks. But if you have time go pull some HS film on Cornwell throwing the ball. He's got NFL written all over him. Amazing quick release and to be honest just looks the part. What are the chances we keep both these guys and can we space them out enough to make that possible?
I've been on the guys bandwagon for 2+ years. I think Cornwell can beat out Coker for the job this year. He is a natural born team leader also AND works his tail off to get better. He is LEGIT. I'm hoping we can keep both too but it's tricky. Even redshirting Barnett will only keep them 1 year apart.

The only scenario I can think of is let's say Cornwell starts this year and is the starter for 3 years. He leaves for the NFL and then Barnett has his Jr and/or Sr. years left to Start 1-2 years before HE goes Pro.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Cornwell came in cocky..had to get that out of him. Barnett's in the same boat right now...

but whatever..I don't care as long as they can play

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Cornwell has an NFL build but needed work when he came. His overall arm strength was not as good as the older guys and he didn't get to play much in high school thanks to some family issues that kept his family moving. When he did play he was impressive enough. Alabama signed him to see if they could develope his talent that was not given much chance in high school. How much he has improved over the last year will determine if he can hang in this competition.

I think Barnett is a more polished product that we have been getting in the past but probably needs a year in the weight room to survive playing in the SEC.

We will probably see attrition in this area before fall.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If Cornwell doesn't win the job next year, I think it becomes an either or type situation. If Cornwell does win the job, and he proves to be legit on the big stage, the question becomes if he'll leave early or not, which could make room for Barnett.

I liked Cornwell a lot, but with the injury and what not he lost a lot of momentum. He's a bit like Coker in that both look the part, both physically are what you'd want, but that doesn't always translate immediately, if it did Coker would have been the starter because he clearly had the physical characteristics over Blake.

But... Barnett? He's the type of guy college coaches salivate over. He has the size, the arm, and he has the ability to run which can destroy defenses in college. It's kind of hard not to pull for him because of what he can do. Alabama hasn't had that do it all type quarterback really, someone who has size, speed, and a legit arm, it would be nice to see what Alabama can do with a Vince Young/Tim Tebow/Cam Newton/(Insert Ohio State quarterback here) type. I don't see him starting next year, I'd expect it to be Coker and if not Coker, then Bateman with Cornwell as kind of a dark horse. However, he'd have a great chance at the job the year after and I suspect the loser in that QB battle between Cornwell and Bateman might transfer.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Cornwell has a much quicker release than Coker. His arm motion is very quick. When he decides to throw, the ball is gone out of his hand in a flash. It's always the mental aspect of the game that is the hardest to predict. But watching his film Cornwell has loads of potential.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Cornwell has a much quicker release than Coker. His arm motion is very quick. When he decides to throw, the ball is gone out of his hand in a flash. It's always the mental aspect of the game that is the hardest to predict. But watching his film Cornwell has loads of potential.
Again I'm with you on this one. He's been nothing but impressive. Back when 247 evaluated him he was the #3 Ranked Pro-QB. Here's how they graded his skills...

Arm Strength. 9/10
Accuracy. 8/10
Feet. 7/10
Pocket Presence 8/10
Intangibles 7/10
Delivery 9/10
Reactive Quickness 7/10
Size 10/10

He works really hard as well and the other guys really like him. Like I say I think he is going to flat beat out Coker.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Honestly I'd rather see Barnett redshirt anyways and get some bulk added. I just think his size right now will not get him through the season in the SEC. Other than that I agree in that he is the type of QB coaches beg to get. Unless our QB situation is worse than we thought, I really want to see him not have to learn on the fly this year. That is asking a lot of any QB to step in right away at Bama with our expectations, start and do well and continue to play.

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
I think we have some really good quarterbacks on our roster. Spring and Fall camp will be very interesting to see who emerges as the front runner for the starting spot.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Cornwell has an NFL build but needed work when he came. His overall arm strength was not as good as the older guys and he didn't get to play much in high school thanks to some family issues that kept his family moving. When he did play he was impressive enough. Alabama signed him to see if they could develope his talent that was not given much chance in high school. How much he has improved over the last year will determine if he can hang in this competition.

I think Barnett is a more polished product that we have been getting in the past but probably needs a year in the weight room to survive playing in the SEC.

We will probably see attrition in this area before fall.
Huh? Cornwell has a rocket arm; maybe Coker's is as strong or marginally stronger, but no one else is coming close. And Barnett is lots of things, but polished isn't one of them.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm Assuming Coker leads by the time A-Day rolls around. If that's the case my guess is that, between Bateman and Cornwell, whichever one trails the other will transfer.

I know I'm in the minority, but I still think Mr. Bateman will make some noise this spring.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm Assuming Coker leads by the time A-Day rolls around. If that's the case my guess is that, between Bateman and Cornwell, whichever one trails the other will transfer.

I know I'm in the minority, but I still think Mr. Bateman will make some noise this spring.
I think Bateman will surface as well. That being said, the front runner is Jacob and he has a big lead at this point.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I said in another thread, one orboth could transfer depending on Barnett's development.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Cornwell came in cocky..had to get that out of him. Barnett's in the same boat right now...

but whatever..I don't care as long as they can play

Really? I can see that Barnett is confident, not really cocky. He seems like a normal teenager. Unless there is something else behind the scenes.

I just saw his interview and he is well spoken. Reminds me of Greg McElroy, great interviewing skills.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
How come all the QBs won't stay? Next year, as in a full year from today, Bateman or Cornwell will have the lead, Barnett will need a little while to bulk up some and gain some speed:awareness levels. I think Bateman will lead Cornwell, but Cornwell will stay because you never know bro, always one play away from being the man. This is 2016's season. I think Bateman will be a Jr (RS) and Cornwell a So(RS) and Barnett will be Fs(RS). That's a healthy group of QBs all a few plays away from starting any game?

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Yes, The way I look at it, The battle will go down between Cornwell and Barnett next year in 2016. I don't think one will transfer. Like other here on the board said, I don't care as long they can play. We'll know more about Cornwell this spring... Barnett probably will push guys for no.1, no.2 and no. 3 spots...

but Wmack is right, Cornwell came in cocky.. and I think Barnett is about to go through that too...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.