Which of our latest recruits will play the most as freshmen?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I will get called out on this but I think we have another Blake starting at QB.

Kiffin has done a lot of things you would not expect from an Alabama offense.

and I think CNS is going to let it be his call.
Yes you will. Not happening unless we have a rash of injuries at QB. I think Deonte Thompson, Ridley and Harris will make good contributions.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yes you will. Not happening unless we have a rash of injuries at QB. .
I'll take your opinion to be worth no more than the one who thinks he may start or play. :smile:

I understand your opinion is "historically accurate," but I'll go with CNS's opinion that he's willing to start a tf.

Way I look at it, if BB is almost as good or equally as good as a veteran, the upsides to starting youth is great for the future.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Daylon Charlot may be a good candidate if he can prove he's a candidate for kick returner.

We really need an infusion of talent in return game. We really haven't had a difference maker there since Javier Arenas.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
I'll take your opinion to be worth no more than the one who thinks he may start or play. :smile:

I understand your opinion is "historically accurate," but I'll go with CNS's opinion that he's willing to start a tf.

Way I look at it, if BB is almost as good or equally as good as a veteran, the upsides to starting youth is great for the future.
Let's look at this from a different perspective...if BB and say Jake Coker are equal (for arguments sake), might it not be better to redshirt BB and play Coker, saving BB for a year, without losing any of his eligibility? Just a question, not a suggestion--only the coaches can make that decision...having said that, I really hope we don't slide back into cheerleading camps (or bashing groups) for this player or that player, like in recent years...I want the best players at all positions to give us the best chance both now and in the future...just my $.02, since Mr. Battle has not put me on the payroll yet...RTR!!!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Let's look at this from a different perspective...if BB and say Jake Coker are equal (for arguments sake), might it not be better to redshirt BB and play Coker, saving BB for a year, without losing any of his eligibility? Just a question, not a suggestion--only the coaches can make that decision...having said that, I really hope we don't slide back into cheerleading camps (or bashing groups) for this player or that player, like in recent years...I want the best players at all positions to give us the best chance both now and in the future...just my $.02, since Mr. Battle has not put me on the payroll yet...RTR!!!
Just going off of this "what if" scenario that BB and J. Coker are about equal. If that is the case, and the true freshman is already as good as the 5th year guy, I'd think his upside and ability to improve during the year may be better than the 5th year guy.

Also, there is the continuity that someone like BB or Cornwell could provide with starting mulitiple years, as oposed to J.Coker can only play one more year.

Again, this assuming J. Coker isn't way ahead of the younger guys. If he is, I'm pretty sure he'll be the starter.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
Just going off of this "what if" scenario that BB and J. Coker are about equal. If that is the case, and the true freshman is already as good as the 5th year guy, I'd think his upside and ability to improve during the year may be better than the 5th year guy.

Also, there is the continuity that someone like BB or Cornwell could provide with starting mulitiple years, as oposed to J.Coker can only play one more year.

Again, this assuming J. Coker isn't way ahead of the younger guys. If he is, I'm pretty sure he'll be the starter.
I see your point...I was thinking that if they were that close, then if BB starts in 2015, that leaves us with another new starter in 2018 or 2019...using JC in 2015 would leave BB for 2016, 2017, and 2018 (assuming 3 and out) or 2019, pushing out the requirement for a new starter until 2020...but, if the Mayans were off by 4 or 5 years, it won't make any difference anyway...

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think you guys are heaping a LOT of expectations on a guy who is a REALLY REALLY good talent, but is still pretty raw in BB. While he may have the physical tools, catching up to the college game (and coach CLK's offense) is an entirely different thing. While I wouldn't put it at a 0% chance, I would put it at less than 1%. (I personally think the only time he see's the field is A-Day) ;)

Also, it would be a bad sign if one of the freshmen OL ended up starting. We are breaking in three new starters, but we played VERY deep last year. So where we will likely get a bunch of guys playing time this year, we shouldn't be starting any freshmen on the line which gives them a chance to develop a bit.

WE should also be deep enough a CB this year that the young guys only have to play in mop up duty. With the return of the guys from last year, and the development of Hump and Brown, our freshmen should get a chance to learn the system without just being thrown out there to the wolves. So they will see playing time, but not a ton unless we're ahead.

I think the most playing time will easily go to Bo. I don't think it will be close. I think he will play special teams, and be a staple. I also think he will be in a lot of packages on offense, whether at HB, TB, WR, or anywhere else they can put him.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
I think you guys are heaping a LOT of expectations on a guy who is a REALLY REALLY good talent, but is still pretty raw in BB. While he may have the physical tools, catching up to the college game (and coach CLK's offense) is an entirely different thing. While I wouldn't put it at a 0% chance, I would put it at less than 1%. (I personally think the only time he see's the field is A-Day) ;)

Also, it would be a bad sign if one of the freshmen OL ended up starting. We are breaking in three new starters, but we played VERY deep last year. So where we will likely get a bunch of guys playing time this year, we shouldn't be starting any freshmen on the line which gives them a chance to develop a bit.

WE should also be deep enough a CB this year that the young guys only have to play in mop up duty. With the return of the guys from last year, and the development of Hump and Brown, our freshmen should get a chance to learn the system without just being thrown out there to the wolves. So they will see playing time, but not a ton unless we're ahead.

I think the most playing time will easily go to Bo. I don't think it will be close. I think he will play special teams, and be a staple. I also think he will be in a lot of packages on offense, whether at HB, TB, WR, or anywhere else they can put him.
No expectations at all on my part, just what-iffing...besides, CNS started it when he said he would have no problem playing a true freshman if he were the best option...in reality, BB has a lot of catching up to do as far as learning the play book, working with the receivers, etc.

And, the new guys in the backfield lately seem to have spent most of their high school playing time carrying the ball...if that's the case with this bunch, they will have to be able to block before they see any appreciable offensive playing time...if they can't block, maybe they can just play linebacker for a while...

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
The most obvious choices are the ones already on campus.

Yesterday, Saban said he doesn't have a problem playing Barnett if he's the best option. I would like an older guy get the job, but if Blake proves to the coaches, he'll start.

Desherrius Flowers, Chance Warmack and Brandon Kennedy will most likely redshirt.

...thinking his eligibility has expired ;)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
BOL: Five areas where newcomers might help

For the 24 recruits who officially joined the Alabama Crimson Tide on Wednesday, now comes the hard part. What they did over the last three or four years got them to this point. None of that will get them where they would like to go moving forward, however.

For more than a few, reality will present itself in the form of a redshirt year spent on the scout team. For some, though, the opportunity to get on the field in 2015 is just as real. Crazy as it may sound, even a program that has reeled in five straight top-ranked recruiting classes has holes to fill.

With that, here are five areas of the Crimson Tide that could see a newcomer make an impact in the fall.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I hope we can redshirt them all but if I had to pick two, it would be Harris and Ridley(assuming Ridley qualifies. I heard he had some issues. Not sure)
Harris is a very special talent with fantastic moves and speed. He also ran the wildcat a lot in high school.
I wouldn't be surprised if we re-installed that package.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I agree it is just my opinion and is no more worth than the one who thinks he will. However, as you state "historically accurate" has to come into play as part of the validation of the opinion. Has a true freshman QB started in the history of our program? I am pretty sure not. I am not doubting BB's physical talent, it is incredible but having the mind and body (especially mind) to play QB as a true freshman at Alabama with 3 and 4 year guys in front of him make is very unlikely. I think Blake will have a good shot at starting as a RS freshman. Just my opinion.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
A lot of them will contribute. I think it is almost certain that a tailback and WR will make an impact though. My logic for tailback is that Drake will split time as a WR in spread packages. Plus, we have went to a three-headed system since the Ingram-Richardson days...but it has consistently been turned into a two-headed system every year by injuries.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Daylon Charlot may be a good candidate if he can prove he's a candidate for kick returner.

We really need an infusion of talent in return game. We really haven't had a difference maker there since Javier Arenas.

Harris might be that guy. I'm really intrigued by him, besides being blessed with plenty of power and speed, he has phenomenal vision and balance.

I think he's gonna turn out to be special.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Ridley, Scarborough, Harris and possibly Cotton.

I think most of this years youngsters are more likely to play will be on offense. I don't think many play on defense yet.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
And is there ANY chance that Barnett could end up starting from day 1? I mean, if he really impresses in practice will he? Even if Coker or Cornwell look good too but not quite as good as Barnett?

Would Saban start a freshman QB?
IF (and that's a huge two letters), a true freshman is the best, he'll not only play, but start.

Now, the chances of a true freshman being able to:
-- read defenses,
-- get the offense in the right play,
-- command the huddle / lead the offense,
-- take care of the ball (not fumble or throw interceptions),
-- manage the play clock,
-- pass accurately, and
-- execute ball handling and footwork
better than any of the guys currently on campus, are virtually nil.

Recent notable freshman or newcomer QBs (Maziel, Jones, Winston, Newton and a few others), have all been redshirt freshmen or junior college transfers. In the cases of both Manziel and Winston, they were RSFr, and their offensive systems required not nearly as much from their QBs.

If Blake Barnett is better than Coker, Bateman, Cornwell and Morris at all that Alabama's system demands, he deserves to play, and I have no doubt he will.

That is, however, unlikely on the order of winning the PowerBall.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.