Former FB Kyle Bennett speaks about Fran and Shula on local radio show.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
I don't think things would have worked out well for Croom or that he was the best option, but I never understood the justification for choosing Shula over Croom.
I'm just glad that we didn't have to fire the first black coach in the SEC. Can you imagine how the national media, which was still staunchly anti-Bama at the time, would have spun that?!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The diffrence between Shula and Franchione IMO, is while Shula may have not been a good coach or good person and not qualified, at least he did not use the Alabama football program to further his career and leave his team holding the rope. The hiring and ultimate firing of Croom would have been a disaster for the University.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The diffrence between Shula and Franchione IMO, is while Shula may have not been a good coach or good person and not qualified, at least he did not use the Alabama football program to further his career and leave his team holding the rope. The hiring and ultimate firing of Croom would have been a disaster for the University.
Oh I agree he was a better person than fRAN. That's a low bar, but still.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm just glad that we didn't have to fire the first black coach in the SEC. Can you imagine how the national media, which was still staunchly anti-Bama at the time, would have spun that?!
I have no inside information whatsoever. But I think this is a big reason why Croom didn't get the job. Moore knew that whoever was in the chair was going to have a tough time. Neither Shula nor Croom had been head coaches, so it was more of a crapshoot than is normal when hiring a new HC.

If Croom didn't work out, the combination of scholarship limitations, post-Dubose / Franchione / Price detritus, and the racial angle would have made it difficult to fire him for at least six, maybe eight, years. If Shula didn't work out, it could be (and was) done significantly sooner, before the damage became insurmountable, and we became thenceforth and forevermore relegated to has-been status.

That, and has been reported on this forum by extremely credible posters, Croom thought the job was his for the taking, and by his own admission blew the interview.

Shula may not have been a great hire. But the Croom non-hire might have been a decision up there with Moore's decision to camp out in his car in Miami.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
When you think of the bad press CNS had to endure when he took the Alabama job; can you image the picture the media would have painted of Alabama had it been Croom rather than Shula that CNS replaced.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Are we going to do this again? Shula was not a nice guy at all. This is well documented by highly regarded folks on this message board. You don't treat players the way he did if you're a "nice guy."

He was a bad coach, and a bad person. But, carry on the belief that he was a good guy that answered "mama's call" in her time of need if you must. Frankly, I wish he never would have coached at Alabama, and we could remember him as the QB that led the comebacks against Georgia and Auburn in 1985.
Thanks for the post reminding folks. I was a Big Shula fan until I read detailed reports of abuse & just plain stupidity from Shula. He is Not a nice guy, terrible coach.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
When you think of the bad press CNS had to endure when he took the Alabama job; can you image the picture the media would have painted of Alabama had it been Croom rather than Shula that CNS replaced.
Oh My Goodness. I had not thought of that scenario. The Media would have had the proverbial field day.

ecraj

Scout Team
Jan 24, 2009
Florence, AL
I guess im changing the subject just slightly. We all remember watching in 2007 when Saban was being introduced as the head coach at the Alabama press conference. I remember how well prepared he was and told everyone what his goals were for the team and how he planned to build a great football program, which he has done. Anyway, I can't find any kind of video or transcript of the Price or Mike Schula hire. I've always been curious as to what they said to the press and the fans as to what type of future was planned for the team and how they would make it happend. If anyone knows where I can find either press conference please let me know. Thanks

C Earl

1st Team
Aug 17, 2005
Cahaba Heights
I guess im changing the subject just slightly. We all remember watching in 2007 when Saban was being introduced as the head coach at the Alabama press conference. I remember how well prepared he was and told everyone what his goals were for the team and how he planned to build a great football program, which he has done. Anyway, I can't find any kind of video or transcript of the Price or Mike Schula hire. I've always been curious as to what they said to the press and the fans as to what type of future was planned for the team and how they would make it happend. If anyone knows where I can find either press conference please let me know. Thanks
Nobody ever needs to see the Shula press conference. It is too painful to watch.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
No video, but here's an old thread comparing CMS's and CNS's introductory press conferences.
http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53149

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
All I know is after the Dubose / Fran / Price / Shula debacle, we could have hired a Chinese coach named Win Wan Soon and I would have been happy. Getting CNS was like winning the lottery compared to where we came from prior to his arrival.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Which is probably why he was able to function in the NFL for so long.
Yeah, he talked a bit about JJ and said he's the dude on the field that if you were under the pile you wanted him on your team. Because if you weren't he basically was going to kill you. LOL!
I was there in school during that time. I consistently heard the same thing from my friends on the team about Justin Smiley. He was just a nasty linemen that played until well after the whistle blowed..every play...every practice..no matter what

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Would like to hear more about Shula mistreating players. Any links, etc?

RTR '14
its on here just search, Earl has some of his own stories.
it was hard for me, I have been out to dinner with Mike & his wife when he was in Tampa, but their are posters on here that really know what they are posting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.