Former FB Kyle Bennett speaks about Fran and Shula on local radio show.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
its on here just search, Earl has some of his own stories.
it was hard for me, I have been out to dinner with Mike & his wife when he was in Tampa, but their are posters on here that really know what they are posting.
I follow the program religiously and have for many years, but the Shula "abuse" allegations are totally new to me. I would never have suspected it. I always thought he was in way over his head but never thought something like this was possible. I'll have to read up on some old threads.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I follow the program religiously and have for many years, but the Shula "abuse" allegations are totally new to me. I would never have suspected it. I always thought he was in way over his head but never thought something like this was possible. I'll have to read up on some old threads.
I don't remember hearing about outright abuse as much as I remember hearing about neglect and favoritism.

It was an NFL approach of caring about the player only so much as they produced between the lines. But different from the NFL, there was an inner circle of players who were exempt from workouts and other off-field requirements.

And yes, I bought into the clean-cut all-American image. It took a while and several incidents to disabuse me of the ideal. I still shake my head at myself over that.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
"Abuse" is probably too strong a word for the stories I heard, which basically involved a revolving set of standards in which the coach's favorites could do virtually anything they wanted while the rest, including some of our highest character kids, were subject to arbitrary and biting discipline. That, too, sounds like a guy in over his head.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Keeping Bucket Bob as OL coach could certainly be considered abuse of QBs, but mainly, it was incredibly preferential treatment. Brody Croyle could do pretty much anything he wanted--skip workouts, show up late for team meetings, etc.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Keeping Bucket Bob as OL coach could certainly be considered abuse of QBs, but mainly, it was incredibly preferential treatment. Brody Croyle could do pretty much anything he wanted--skip workouts, show up late for team meetings, etc.
This makes me think less of Brody and the coaches. True leaders lead by example. Maybe this if the reason for the "honk if you sacked Brody" bumpersticker.

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
Nobody ever needs to see the Shula press conference. It is too painful to watch.
The Shula introductory press conference was so bad, it was grounds for his immediate dismissal. :biggrin:

I have seen better prepared public speakers in high school English class. I was kind of shocked - not only that he prepared nothing in advance for the event, but also that no one helped him prepare either. (This would have been a good time for Don to offer a little fatherly guidance.) Anyone watching that press conference could see that our program was in deep trouble.

TIDEFAN17

All-American
Mar 20, 2001
Tennessee
I often wonder how Shula's career would have unfolded had Alabama not been his first HC gig. He was clearly unprepared for Alabama, but I wonder if he'd followed the OC to mid-major HC route, would things have turned out differntly?

I think the fact that he hasn't tried to be a head coach since says a lot.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
I was there in school during that time. I consistently heard the same thing from my friends on the team about Justin Smiley. He was just a nasty linemen that played until well after the whistle blowed..every play...every practice..no matter what
Evan Mathis was just as nasty as Smiley and probably a tad stronger. He's still in the league which blows my mind for an O Lineman these days. Wesley Britt was also pretty nasty.

I often wonder if fRan would have stayed, what we would have built at Bama. I bet he sits back in his office chair at Texas State and sees Saban and the empire that he has built and ponders, what the hell was I thinking?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Evan Mathis was just as nasty as Smiley and probably a tad stronger. He's still in the league which blows my mind for an O Lineman these days. Wesley Britt was also pretty nasty.

I often wonder if fRan would have stayed, what we would have built at Bama. I bet he sits back in his office chair at Texas State and sees Saban and the empire that he has built and ponders, what the hell was I thinking?
As much as it hurt during the time, it was all honestly probably for the best. The timing of everything was perfect. And suffering through my entire time in school (1st semester was Dubose's final season. Last semester was Shula's last season. SABAN was hired 2 weeks after I graduated) has made this last 8 years that much sweeter

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
As much as it hurt during the time, it was all honestly probably for the best. The timing of everything was perfect. And suffering through my entire time in school (1st semester was Dubose's final season. Last semester was Shula's last season. SABAN was hired 2 weeks after I graduated) has made this last 8 years that much sweeter
You forgot that Mike Price debacle? I would have forgot that too.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm a 80s baby, and I didn't follow football until shula days.... I would love to hear stories on Shula... what threads can I look so I wont' wastetoo much time looking for it?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.