Link: Alabama Walmart employee gets punched in the face, then fired

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Overnight is the time to play bootleg Supermarket Sweep, apparently.

Over a $1,000 worth of merchandise is mere pennies to those who sit on the thrones in Bentonville. I wonder what Sam Walton would do if he saw someone trying to shoplift that much from one of his stores?

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Not sure about other stores. But Brookshires (as does Wal Mart) charges stolen items back to the store location which impacts bonuses. Think about that for a second. What a convenient way to curb bonuses.
Walmart is awful in just about every way. I don't blame folks/families who shop there because every penny counts but I will not do business with them when there are so many better options out there.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Basically these stores have decided they're not going to do anything about shoplifting. They have a "procedure" in place but they don't do any good. It doesn't stop someone from shoplifting nor does it apprehend them.
A set of headphones, a video game or whatever they might have taken, it will generally be small, is not worth the risk of getting into an altercation. Whatever it was, it's not worth getting stabbed, shot or having teeth knocked out and your nose broken.

That's assuming they even took anything. I remember watching what I was almost certain was a kid pocketing a video game. AP saw it on camera and stopped him on his way out. He didn't have a thing.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
A set of headphones, a video game or whatever they might have taken, it will generally be small, is not worth the risk of getting into an altercation. Whatever it was, it's not worth getting stabbed, shot or having teeth knocked out and your nose broken.

That's assuming they even took anything. I remember watching what I was almost certain was a kid pocketing a video game. AP saw it on camera and stopped him on his way out. He didn't have a thing.
Add up things like this across a full calendar year and they become very material to the bottom line of a store location. Word on the street gets to be that your store is an easy grab and I can promise you it will be felt.

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
So what's Wal-mart's policy on shoplifting now? Just let them go?

I'd like one of those Vizio 50" Smart TV's myself.
Thats what they were stealing.

This is from his facebook page right after WalMart fired him.

So my life is full of irony so I worked for Walmart , I say worked because I was fired today.... little over a month ago we were being stolen from by a shoplifter whose M.O. was to fill a shopping cart full of TV's and other merchandise between 1:00a.m and 6 a.m. find the nearest exit door and push out to an awaiting getaway car. In the span of a week he hit us 3 times for roughly about $3500.00 and also pushed out at another walmart located about 5 miles away on several occasions. Well on the fourth occasion the shoplifter filled his buggy with 3 TV's and some other merchandise about $1200.00 worth and pushed out an exit door. I heard the alarm door and took off running (I am still pretty fast) caught up to the guy with the buggy got the buggy away from him (as the getaway car sped off and left him) that contained all our stuff. The shoplifter turned swung hit me on the side of the head and after a little back and forth he was subdued and held until police arrived. I was thanked by numerous police officers who stated they had been searching for this person and he was wanted in a string of robberies. So I saved walmart $1200.00 that day made it possible for not only my store and the store down the rode to now attempt to get restitution for the previous shoplifting but also prevented further robberies. And I was thanked by being terminated lol..... Due to you are not allowed to go out of the store after anyone. I just didn't think about it Alarm went off I went out ... So I am now looking for a job anyone hiring ??

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Add up things like this across a full calendar year and they become very material to the bottom line of a store location. Word on the street gets to be that your store is an easy grab and I can promise you it will be felt.
I sold electronics and appliances at Sears Century Plaza from '03 until we shutdown in '09. We caught folks shoplifting all the time. I'm pretty sure we had the reputation of an "easy grab." We caught quite a few, though. You'd be surprised at how compliant people become when they realize they're nailed. :biggrin2:

Somebody did the math and figured out that potential lawsuits and medical bills cost more.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I sold electronics and appliances at Sears Century Plaza from '03 until we shutdown in '09. We caught folks shoplifting all the time. I'm pretty sure we had the reputation of an "easy grab." We caught quite a few, though. You'd be surprised at how compliant people become when they realize they're nailed. :biggrin2:

Somebody did the math and figured out that potential lawsuits and medical bills cost more.
Yeah. It's a great way to rationalize not doing anything. "The money we could lose would be a lot more than what we're actually losing so let's just be safe and keep losing what we're actually losing. Heck, all we have to do is take it out of the location's bonus program to make up for it. Now, on to the next team building meeting!!!"

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Yeah. It's a great way to rationalize not doing anything. "The money we could lose would be a lot more than what we're actually losing so let's just be safe and keep losing what we're actually losing. Heck, all we have to do is take it out of the location's bonus program to make up for it. Now, on to the next team building meeting!!!"
Not doing anything?
You do the best you can with the options in front of you. What's your suggestion? Physically restrain every shoplifter? :rolleye2:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Not doing anything?

You do the best you can with the options in front of you. What's your suggestion? Physically restrain every shoplifter? :rolleye2:
My suggestion is don't punish an employee for trying to keep someone from stealing. Sure, have a policy but good lord don't leave someone out to dry when they are trying to help the company. Yet turn around and expect them to be "loyal" and go "above and beyond" for the company. It sends a very conflicting message.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
A few years ago I was entering a WM in Fayetteville (Hope Mills), NC and two Loss Prevention guys were trying to subdue a shoplifter. They had the guy pinned against the shopping carts and he was a bull. I thought he was going to get away. I couldn't help but stand there and watch. It was quite the spectacle. The shoplifter said "Let me go and I'll never come in here again." That sort of let me know he'd been caught red-handed.

A couple of other male WM employees walked up and a female manager who was also there told the two guys to go help. They didn't. Obviously a smart move on their part.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
As if more reasoning was needed for why Walmart sucks, here's more. Pretty evident why Walmart employees are lazy as hell and show a severe lack of concern for customer satisfaction.
Yes, one can project onto Walmart all the ills of the world, but a breach of company policy will get you "disciplined", and maybe even fired, at most major companies. As was noted earlier, liability is a primary concern, especially given the litigious society that we have these days.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Here's the deal: It's not worth it for any employee to risk their life trying to save Walmart or any other retailer money from shoplifters. You will not be rewarded for your efforts. In fact, just the opposite. You also risk a personal lawsuit against you and which you will have to defend with your own means. That's just how it is. Be smart. Take care of you. Do your job. Go home. Enjoy your family. Live with a clean conscience.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Here's the deal: It's not worth it for any employee to risk their life trying to save Walmart or any other retailer money from shoplifters. You will not be rewarded for your efforts. In fact, just the opposite. You also risk a personal lawsuit against you and which you will have to defend with your own means. That's just how it is. Be smart. Take care of you. Do your job. Go home. Enjoy your family. Live with a clean conscience.
Yep. This is the best advice one could give in this day and age of being an employee. Don't walk out on a limb for the company because they dang sure won't be anyone walking out there with you and they have no problem cutting that limb with you own it. Do your job, your job only and go home. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Yes, one can project onto Walmart all the ills of the world, but a breach of company policy will get you "disciplined", and maybe even fired, at most major companies. As was noted earlier, liability is a primary concern, especially given the litigious society that we have these days.
Discipline him, sure. DM or Store Manager: "While I appreciate what you did and understand where you were coming that was against company policy and not something we condone. You will have retake the LP certification and will not be eligible for a raise or bonus for 6 months."

No, Walmart fired an employee that gave a damn about his (their) store and merchandise. This type of corporate directive makes it abundantly clear on how they want their employees to act and the multiple consumer surveys bear it out as well... they don't want them give damn about the customer, the merchandise, or store.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Discipline him, sure. DM or Store Manager: "While I appreciate what you did and understand where you were coming that was against company policy and not something we condone. You will have retake the LP certification and will not be eligible for a raise or bonus for 6 months."

No, Walmart fired an employee that gave a damn about his (their) store and merchandise. This type of corporate directive makes it abundantly clear on how they want their employees to act and the multiple consumer surveys bear it out as well... they don't want them give damn about the customer, the merchandise, or store.
And they don't...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
And they don't...
And they shouldn't give a damn about the store or the merchandise. Not to the point of putting their life or livelihood in danger. They should do a good job at what they are required to do. That is noble. They should care about the customer to the point possible. That is also noble. There is nothing noble about getting killed, maimed, or fired trying to protect a company that doesn't want you to do that. I'll bet this fellow is a great guy, but this was not a smart move. I've seen too many get caught up in the "cowboy" "fun" of catching people like this. Makes 'em feel good. Not smart, though. Hopefully people will get the message that the Walmarts of the world don't want that kind of help and they will be the ones to end up getting hurt or screwed. I feel bad for the guy. I really do. He thought he was doing the right thing.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
I agree, he would be fired. The rules are well known. I remember a Target employee chased a thief, he got plowed by a car, and Target got sued. Stupid, but true.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah, policy and all that crap. They should have never tied bonuses to theft, encouraged their employees to do something about it, if they were going to react this way. IMO, he has a right to sue the company now if we are going to get all worried about litigation and liability.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Yep. This is the best advice one could give in this day and age of being an employee. Don't walk out on a limb for the company because they dang sure won't be anyone walking out there with you and they have no problem cutting that limb with you own it. Do your job, your job only and go home. Nothing more, nothing less.
This depresses me. Not the story itself so much, but the state of our society where this is the case.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
No doubt. Next thing you know he would have been doing a cashier on the conveyor belt after hours while drinking a bottle of wine he stole from the shelf. :rolleye2:
As a Prattville citizen and a "only when I have to" shopper at Wal-Mart, the selection is very slim.
But Wal Mart has excellent quantity of wine which will eventually improve the "selection". ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.