Stoops reinstates Joe Mixon

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Given the police-athletic department incest in Knoxville, I'd be shocked if Stoops hasn't seen it already. If he has, and it's as bad as it sounds, he'd better have a credible explanation on why Mixon is still around.
I dont believe he is in Knoxville, is he?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Given the police-athletic department incest in Knoxville, I'd be shocked if Stoops hasn't seen it already. If he has, and it's as bad as it sounds, he'd better have a credible explanation on why Mixon is still around.
Totally agree. If the video is highly incriminating and he has seen it I think he will have to resign. Not sure if Stoops would do that but if he did........

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Given our own story with Jonathan Taylor, I throw no rocks.

I'll say I hope, for the sake of all women, young Mr. Mixon learns the proper way to treat them.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Given our own story with Jonathan Taylor, I throw no rocks.

I'll say I hope, for the sake of all women, young Mr. Mixon learns the proper way to treat them.
This is pretty different. Saban dismissed Taylor within a day. Stoops has defended and protected Mixon from the media.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This is pretty different. Saban dismissed Taylor within a day. Stoops has defended and protected Mixon from the media.
When we took Taylor, he was still under indictment for domestic violence. When he landed in Tuscaloosa, he was not yet done with the legal system in Georgia.

Then, before the Georgia stuff was settled, he committed another domestic assault in Tuscaloosa. Yes, for a while, he was defending charges of assault on at least two victims in two different states. Even his attorney admitted the Alabama incident made the Georgia incident more difficult to defend.

True, Saban dismissed Taylor immediately after his second assault. But with the offer of a scholarship, he gave a pretty strong defense of the first incident.

Other than the absence of a video tape, I don't see much difference between this and Mixon.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
When we took Taylor, he was still under indictment for domestic violence. When he landed in Tuscaloosa, he was not yet done with the legal system in Georgia.

Then, before the Georgia stuff was settled, he committed another domestic assault in Tuscaloosa. Yes, for a while, he was defending charges of assault on at least two victims in two different states. Even his attorney admitted the Alabama incident made the Georgia incident more difficult to defend.

True, Saban dismissed Taylor immediately after his second assault. But with the offer of a scholarship, he gave a pretty strong defense of the first incident.

Other than the absence of a video tape, I don't see much difference between this and Mixon.
While I agree with all of this, remember that we don't know what we don't know. Given Saban's history, I am willing to trust that he had solid reasons for his decision to bring Taylor to Alabama.

The problem here is not that Taylor had done something like this before. Every man who lays a hand on a woman is not automatically a villain. In college, most of those incidents are tied to the same thing that most other ugliness in college are tied to - the use of drugs and/or alcohol. So, the problem here isn't that Taylor did this before - it is that he did it a second time. Unfortunately, Saban didn't see that coming. Taylor got Saban to trust him somehow. And I can't believe that Saban is an easy man to con.

But I would rather have a compassionate man as head coach than someone who gives up on players because they are human. It means that the head coach is going to make a few mistakes. But, as long as they are honest mistakes made in an effort to help and mold young men, I can live with that.

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama

I didn't follow the JT situation super close, but didn't the young lady involved later recant her story? Not that it mattered, he was on a zero tolerance policy.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I didn't follow the JT situation super close, but didn't the young lady involved later recant her story? Not that it mattered, he was on a zero tolerance policy.
Wouldn't he still be compliant with the zero tolerance policy if, as you say, the alleged victim recanted her story and the incident never happened?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
While I agree with all of this, remember that we don't know what we don't know. Given Saban's history, I am willing to trust that he had solid reasons for his decision to bring Taylor to Alabama.

The problem here is not that Taylor had done something like this before. Every man who lays a hand on a woman is not automatically a villain. In college, most of those incidents are tied to the same thing that most other ugliness in college are tied to - the use of drugs and/or alcohol. So, the problem here isn't that Taylor did this before - it is that he did it a second time. Unfortunately, Saban didn't see that coming. Taylor got Saban to trust him somehow. And I can't believe that Saban is an easy man to con.

But I would rather have a compassionate man as head coach than someone who gives up on players because they are human. It means that the head coach is going to make a few mistakes. But, as long as they are honest mistakes made in an effort to help and mold young men, I can live with that.
So Stoops did the right thing by reinstating Mixon?

I think we just disagree on this.

I think a man who hits, squeezes, grabs -- insert verb of choice here -- a woman hard enough to cause damage, whether that damage is a KO concussion, broken bones or just bruising, IS a villain. Even if it's a first offense. The only exception is true self-defense -- as in, she's the aggressor and is coming at him with a weapon of some sort. And that is highly unusual.

I also don't see where being drunk or stoned or high is a mitigant. In my experience, being drunk reveals the true person. The alcohol removes the inhibitions, and shows what the person would do if there weren't societal pressures, rules and laws that carry punishment of some kind when broken.

Now, I don't mean that one blow brands a man forever and always. But forgiveness would be a long time coming and hard-earned.

Put this another way: Your daughter's boyfriend gets drunk and punches her lights out. How long before you trust him to be unchaparoned with her (or any woman) again?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So Stoops did the right thing by reinstating Mixon?

I think we just disagree on this.
I didn't say a word about Stoops - I was talking about Saban. I trust Saban's judgment because of his track record. I don't know enough about Stoops to trust him or not in this regard, so I have no opinion about him in general which makes me less likely to give him the same kind of pass that I would Saban.

As for the rest of your post - you are free to judge people based on whatever criteria you choose. I'll do the same.

Sagamore Bill

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma
Totally agree. If the video is highly incriminating and he has seen it I think he will have to resign. Not sure if Stoops would do that but if he did........
A number of local (OKC) sports media were allowed to view the video originally and all said that he should not be allowed in school. IMO, Mixon and the University will continue to appeal this ruling until this next football season has passed. Mixon is a junior, expected to leave early, problem all taken care of...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
A number of local (OKC) sports media were allowed to view the video originally and all said that he should not be allowed in school. IMO, Mixon and the University will continue to appeal this ruling until this next football season has passed. Mixon is a junior, expected to leave early, problem all taken care of...
Unless they appeal to the federal courts, they have no other options.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

The video is huge! Without video it is a he said, she said and it is not always the she that is right.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
How long will it take for SCOTUS to decline to hear the case. Every day/week/month is advantage OU.
Don't know. Mrs. Basket Case is a lawyer, but not a litigator. She says there is a specified time for filing an appeal, but didn't know what it was.

If there is an appeal, I don't know if SCOTUS has a required time frame within which to respond or not. My personal guess is not...they pretty much do whatever they want. But I don't even know that for sure.

Sorry it's not more specific. It's all I have.

Maybe some litigators on the board can fill in the gaps.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.