Stoops reinstates Joe Mixon

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I'm sure I would feel different about this if it was CNS, but after the DGB thing last season, I'm wondering if there ARE any limits to what Stoops will forgive...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...rejoins-oklahoma-football-team-133236456.html
He was only charged with a misdemeanor which seems crazy. There was a video of what happened. Seems this happened in a mall. She pushed him. He turned around than she tried to slap him in the face but got his neck. He should have just walked away but punched her in the face. The police said if it had been a man he would not have been charged at all. Unless its Rhonda Rousey attacking you as a man you should be able to walk away. Than again if its Rhonda Rousey attacking you may better run away fast. Seriously I have been slapped more than once by females each time I walked away and ran if they were really irate. Seems some ladies don't take it to well when you are not faithful.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Heresy from a local radio personality that claims to have seen the footage (local DA will not release it--Freedom of Information Act lawsuit pending):

He turned away from her and she grabbed him and turned him and struck him in the head area. He slung his hand at her (not a closed fist) in immediate retaliation (not a drawn back, deliberate punch). He described it as a bang-bang type of thing. I have no link. It was said on local sports radio so take it with a grain of salt.

If the above is true, though, it sounds like a different situation than how it was originally portrayed and I wouldn't have a problem with the young man having another chance. I think that, as a group, we tend to act like when CNS does this that a golden light engulfs him and angels sing but when it's someone else they are obviously willing to compromise their integrity to get the W's.

JQBama42

Scout Team
Sep 24, 2014
Enid, OK
I remember after members of the local media watched the video last year, a few of them stated how shocked they were by how violent the punch was. The lady suffered a fractured jaw, broken cheek bone, fractured sinus and fractured orbit near her left eye.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
After the recent discussions and flap over CNS offering a scholarship to Jonathan Taylor; I am not sure I understand your point.
I don't have a problem with a kid getting a second chance, but I trust that CNS has done his due diligence with Taylor. After the shameless DGB waiver request, I can't say the same about Stoops. He effectively lied when he told the NCAA that Green-Beckham was "run off" by the Mizzou staff.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not going to post what I really think - glass houses and all that.

But for those who can infer my meaning, it applies to both cases.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
Heresy from a local radio personality that claims to have seen the footage (local DA will not release it--Freedom of Information Act lawsuit pending):

He turned away from her and she grabbed him and turned him and struck him in the head area. He slung his hand at her (not a closed fist) in immediate retaliation (not a drawn back, deliberate punch). He described it as a bang-bang type of thing. I have no link. It was said on local sports radio so take it with a grain of salt.

If the above is true, though, it sounds like a different situation than how it was originally portrayed and I wouldn't have a problem with the young man having another chance. I think that, as a group, we tend to act like when CNS does this that a golden light engulfs him and angels sing but when it's someone else they are obviously willing to compromise their integrity to get the W's.
As a side note: they sound like a really charming pair.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Not sure if anyone cares about this anymore or not but I saw some news about the Joe Mixon situation on my news feed today. Apparently the court in Oklahoma ruled that the video of RB Joe Mixon punching and knocking out a woman is public record. That was followed by the court then saying they no longer have a copy of the video which was followed by the Norman Assistant City Attorney Rick Knighton saying the city will not release the Mixon video. Anyone else confused yet? The video must be pretty bad if they are still trying to conceal it. If the video ever does see the light of day it could turn into a Ray Rice type situation i.e. further punishment and/or dismissal after the video was made public..

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Not sure if anyone cares about this anymore or not but I saw some news about the Joe Mixon situation on my news feed today. Apparently the court in Oklahoma ruled that the video of RB Joe Mixon punching and knocking out a woman is public record. That was followed by the court then saying they no longer have a copy of the video which was followed by the Norman Assistant City Attorney Rick Knighton saying the city will not release the Mixon video. Anyone else confused yet? The video must be pretty bad if they are still trying to conceal it. If the video ever does see the light of day it could turn into a Ray Rice type situation i.e. further punishment and/or dismissal after the video was made public..
And make Big Mouth Bob and the OU admins look really, really bad.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Used to semi-like Oklahoma football team [antiLonghorns] and respected their long tradition. Respected the way they outplayed us in 2014 Sugar Bowl.

Can't get there lately.

Last edited:

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
I think I would have avoided the "super super kid comment" maybe just said they are giving him a chance, and left it at that.

If the video ever gets leaked to the public, however, this is a moot point and I don't think he ever plays for Oklahoma.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
I don't recall the specifics, but didn't OU kick some students out of school for making some racist remarks. Let's see...making racist remarks vs. punching a girl in the face and breaking her jaw. I guess it helps if you can tote the rock. :rolleyes:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Oklahoma Supreme Court rules Mixon video public because judge viewed it in court

The Oklahoma Supreme Court has ruled state broadcasters are entitled under the Open Records Act to a surveillance video of Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon punching another student.

Justices ruled in favor of the Oklahoma Association of Broadcasters on a technical point, rather than the association's original legal arguments. The Supreme Court found the video is an open record because a judge watched it during a court hearing last year.

The judge had ruled in February that the video was not part of the official court record. In a one-page order Monday, the Supreme Court specifically overturned that ruling and allowed the broadcasters association to proceed in its request for access "in accordance with the Open Records Act."

The broadcasters association in 2014 sued for access to the video on legal grounds. Cleveland County District Judge Thad Balkman last year dismissed the lawsuit, ruling the video was not public because it did not depict an arrest or the cause of the arrest.

The Oklahoma Court of Civil Appeals on Feb. 22 agreed with the judge on that legal ground, ruling the video is not a public arrest record because Mixon surrendered to authorities. However, the Court of Civil Appeal returned the issue to the judge to consider another legal ground.

The Court of Civil Appeals also pointed out the video is part of the court file, since the judge viewed it during a hearing, and that it should be accessible to any member of the public from the court clerk.

The broadcasters association the next day asked the Cleveland County court clerk for a copy of the video but the judge ruled Feb. 25 that it was not part of the court record. "The video was never introduced as an exhibit nor was it a material act and proceeding of the court," the judge wrote. "The surveillance video should remain in the custody of the city of Norman."

The broadcasters association asked the Supreme Court to review both Balkman's ruling that the video was not part of the court record and the Court of Civil Appeals' decision that the video was not a public arrest record.

Justices voted 6-3 to overturn Balkman. One of the dissenting justices said the broadcasters association is attempting to obtain access to the video "via shortcut, bypassing the legal questions that put the video before the trial court in the first place: the interpretation and application of the Open Records Act."

Justices have not ruled on whether the Court of Civil Appeals' ruling is correct.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Will Stoops kick Mixon off the team if the video is made public? Probably so. Similar to the Ray Rice situation..

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Will Stoops kick Mixon off the team if the video is made public? Probably so. Similar to the Ray Rice situation..
If Norman has anything close to the police-athletic department incest going on in Knoxville, I'd be shocked if Stoops hasn't seen it already. If he has, and it's as bad as it sounds, he'd better have a credible explanation on why Mixon is still around.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.