Link: DJ Fluker Essay on Recruiting in "The Players Tribune": Marry Your School

tidegrandpa

All-American
Re: DJ Fluker Essay on Recruiting in "The Players Tribune": Marry Your School

"You could say Alabama worked out pretty well for me. I won two SEC titles, three BCS Championships and was first-team All-SEC and first-team All-American, and my on-field accomplishments made me a first-round pick in the NFL Draft."
Nuff said
:biga2:

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

That essay should be framed and hung on the wall of every HS football locker room! Great advice -- not because DJ came to Alabama, but on how to choose the school with the best fit for the individual player.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL

There were several times I saw him jumping up and down on the field he was so fire up. I knew I wouldn't want to be in front of him when he was so pumped up.

If only all our players would give us 4 to 5 years of playing together. That's a big difference in experience. He was raw early on but could have made the jump a year earlier, though that 4th year made him a top pick in the draft.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

Great read, and thanks for posting. One line confused me:

"I went to a game in Tuscaloosa to experience what it would be like to be a part of that team and that history, and they did it up. I ran out of that tunnel with the team —against LSU, no less — and it was electrifying. Fans were screaming, my name was up on the jumbotron, it was crazy. I felt like I was a part of something bigger than a football team, like I made it to the NFL already. The whole stadium had an attitude about it. Everyone had a swagger. I felt like it was my time."

I don't know a lot about recruiting regulations, but I do remember that situations in which other kids have been shown on the Jumbotron turned out to be recruiting violations. I thought schools couldn't advertise the presence of a recruit. I'm probably missing something obvious, but I was just curious and wanted to ask those who know more about this. Is it because it was his name and not his image, are there loopholes, or am I just an idiot? Wait, don't answer that last part...

I don't want to sound like a nervous-Nellie, but let's face it, I am one.

Edit: also, I want to re-iterate. I LOVED that article. DJ made me proud that we share our alma mater.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.