Link: DJ Fluker Essay on Recruiting in "The Players Tribune": Marry Your School

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

Did you know Wednesday is a national holiday? That’s right. It’s a day when everything stops, ESPN forgets all about other sports (yes, even the NFL) and TV cameras are propped up at high school gyms across the country waiting to find out where The Next Big Thing will play college football. It’s National Signing Day.

If you’re one of the top recruits in the country set to make your decision, I know what you’re thinking when you’re looking at those hats lined up on the table in front of you. You’re thinking about the campus visits. You’re thinking about how you’re gonna look in each team’s colors, where you’ll have the best chance to play right away and which school is in the best position to win.

And the campus girls. You’re definitely thinking about the girls. But focus, man. You have an important decision to make.

Look, I’m not here to tell you which school to go to. I’m just gonna tell you my story and drop some advice that helped me make what turned out to be the best decision of my life.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Re: DJ Fluker Essay on Recruiting in "The Players Tribune": Marry Your School

Wow!! I wish every HS athlete being recruited by colleges would read this. Outstanding.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

This article made me cry! I loved every word of it!! DJ was a man of few words but WOW does he have a lot of great information to share!! Just posted this for my sister to show my nephew. Thanks for sharing!

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

Well done D.J. Excellent representative for Alabama and excellent advice for recruits.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006

Heart + Talent + Hard Work = D.J. Fluker

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama

Sound advice from a guy that's been through it. Gotta love the fact DJ felt compelled to write this.

10Bama54

1st Team
Sep 16, 2006

Great article and great advice.

RTR

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Great article. I would let all of my college bound athletes read this. Thank you for sharing.

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA

Wonderful article! Thanks to DJ for being so articulate, thanks to Coach Saban and the staff for being excellent at "doing their thing" and thanks to RTR for posting. Roll Tide!

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

One of the best parts:

I was an Academic All-American not because I was smarter than anybody else, but because I was dedicated. You don’t wanna spend a year at juco because you can’t make the grades and have to transfer. When I was getting recruited, the coaches guaranteed my parents I’d graduate, and that’s what made me work so hard.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

That is really awesome. I am sure coach will put that in his recruiting playbook. You cant describe the process any better than he did.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL

What a credit to himself and Alabama. Here is a guy that did it right.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.