Top 10 SEC offensive and defensive recruits

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
With all of these 5* CB recruits the past 2 years, I wonder if Eddie and Cyrus are in jeopardy of losing their job. Eventually skill and talent wins out.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
With all of these 5* CB recruits the past 2 years, I wonder if Eddie and Cyrus are in jeopardy of losing their job. Eventually skill and talent wins out.
Very doubtful Cyrus loses his job this year. He enters his third year as a starting/contributing CB. His experience in the system alone means he keeps his job.

Eddie could split time with either Sylve or Tony this year. Depends on who makes the move in the spring. None of the freshmen already on campus will play CB, so the only new guy that could jump Eddie would be Marlon.

IOW, Eddie and Cyrus seem destined to remain solid contributors, if not starters.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Agreed on Cyrus ... one of the two cornerbacks in the SEC by year's end. Eddie? Exposed in the two biggest games of the year. Can he recover emotionally as he tries to regain his pre-surgery speed? Maybe. Or maybe he moves to safety.

Very doubtful Cyrus loses his job this year. He enters his third year as a starting/contributing CB. His experience in the system alone means he keeps his job.

Eddie could split time with either Sylve or Tony this year. Depends on who makes the move in the spring. None of the freshmen already on campus will play CB, so the only new guy that could jump Eddie would be Marlon.

IOW, Eddie and Cyrus seem destined to remain solid contributors, if not starters.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Agreed on Cyrus ... one of the two cornerbacks in the SEC by year's end. Eddie? Exposed in the two biggest games of the year. Can he recover emotionally as he tries to regain his pre-surgery speed? Maybe. Or maybe he moves to safety.
Jackson at safety......If he could bring the hammer down over the middle we know he can cover the field and help make up for mistakes..

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Jackson at safety......If he could bring the hammer down over the middle we know he can cover the field and help make up for mistakes..
Maybe safety is indeed his first, best destiny(?). After all, I think most, if not all, of our "highlight" memories of Eddie thus far are of him coming up to make the hit, and are distinctly not of him running in coverage at CB.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Eddie Struggled last year in some of the games i got to see overseas and in person. Could most of that be because he was still coming back from injury sure. However, he wasn't physical and I remember him being stiff armed for a long touchdown run I want to say in the Ohio State game. He might could be a free safety ,but I think he would be a liability in run support. IMO You look at Cyrus career has really taken the Dee Millner path. His first year looked lost a lot ,but showed flashes. This past year improved a lot ,but got beat some too. This year I think he could be a very important player for us and go pretty high in the draft based off how he does this year.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Eddie Struggled last year in some of the games i got to see overseas and in person. Could most of that be because he was still coming back from injury sure. However, he wasn't physical and I remember him being stiff armed for a long touchdown run I want to say in the Ohio State game. He might could be a free safety ,but I think he would be a liability in run support. IMO You look at Cyrus career has really taken the Dee Millner path. His first year looked lost a lot ,but showed flashes. This past year improved a lot ,but got beat some too. This year I think he could be a very important player for us and go pretty high in the draft based off how he does this year.
except for a few meltdowns, Cyrus played lights out in 2014. considering how mediocre he was in 2013, he made leaps and bounds in 2014. Cyrus will be a leader in the secondary in 2015 with the absence of Collins, Perry, and Williams.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
except for a few meltdowns, Cyrus played lights out in 2014. considering how mediocre he was in 2013, he made leaps and bounds in 2014. Cyrus will be a leader in the secondary in 2015 with the absence of Collins, Perry, and Williams.
Agreed SJC. I was watching a replay of either the LSU or MSU game and after Cyrus made a big play Gary Danielson said Cyrus was having a all-American type year. While I'm not sure that was totally accurate Cyrus was by far our best CB and did have a great year. Can't wait to see his development this year.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I would hazard a guess that there are few, if any, CB`s that play at SEC level who can honestly say that they never got beat on a play. As a rule, if a QB at this level is given time to throw, sooner or later any CB is toast. I, too, however, am looking forward watching Cyrus this year.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I would hazard a guess that there are few, if any, CB`s that play at SEC level who can honestly say that they never got beat on a play. As a rule, if a QB at this level is given time to throw, sooner or later any CB is toast. I, too, however, am looking forward watching Cyrus this year.
exactly. for example, against Ohio St, the TD pass from their WR was very well defended by Cyrus, you can't defend it any better unless you had PI, yet the throw was accurately thrown to his man and no one else would have made the catch. moments like those, you just have to salute the opposition for a great play.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
exactly. for example, against Ohio St, the TD pass from their WR was very well defended by Cyrus, you can't defend it any better unless you had PI, yet the throw was accurately thrown to his man and no one else would have made the catch. moments like those, you just have to salute the opposition for a great play.
Yep, Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers could not have thrown that ball any better.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
No Harris on the list? Wut?
Yeah, kinda strange. He is the kind of RB that I'm glad we are going back to. I think Yeldon and Henry are great but I just prefer the running style of a Harris/Ingram type. I too and surprised he didn't make the list but time will tell what the deal is with these guys. I know for a fact that Kentucky's talent pool is much shallower than many places in the south so perhaps people think he is a bit hyped because of the competition he faced. However, he did look good in the Under Armor Game.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'm really looking forward to seeing Kendall Sheffield on the field. For a sub 200lb. guy, he hits like a linebacker! Looked good on the offensive side too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.