Some recruiting stats to drool over.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I am here in Tennessee, and there has been complete despair because of the dooley years. tenn has had a great reputation for a lot of years. while its not their win and losses so much but, it was time for the tenn fan and booster base to want more of a good thing. I suffered thru the debose era, then the ncaa probation years, and I give a lot of credit to mike shula for bringing back the program to a 10 win season the year after he lost his job. like coach saban said after tuberville was fired, he said it is a thin line between losing 5 or 6 games, and getting fired. basically, telling the fans, and boosters, that coaches are great when they are winning, conference titles,national titles, but, memories slipwhen there are a few average years. just look at Georgia, their fan base is upset all the time, and maybe they should be at times. I only say who they going to get that can do better than mark. I believe a lot of our fan base is on the cusp of hysteria at times. I keep say and thinking the last two years, we are still competitive in the best conference. I acknowledge we have had problems adjusting to the hurry up offense, but, it has taken coaching changes, philosophy changes to get better at that. we have won with pro style offense since saban showed up. this year lane had to take a 5th year qb, to attack other teams. I agree some games it seem our off line did not support our rush game. and some times the coaching got away from our rush a little early. however, we average more yardage, and points on offense than with our signature qbs. the secondary has been ugly the last two years. like others I am so tired seeing our guys never know where the ball was. hopefully with the excellent talent and a full time db coach they can correct this problem. I expect at least a 11 season win this year, and even if they don't giet to theplayoff, I will appreciate the talent, and coaching ability of coaches.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Time to fire Coach Saban because he coaches the DBs.
I don't get some people. Winning a national championship is not an easy thing to do, in fact it is very difficult. When was the last time and how often do teams win back to back national titles? It has been a while and is rather rare. Geesh, talk about being spoiled. Just how many coaches have even won three national titles? CNS has won four and three of the last six. Add in the number of players we have leaving early and that is aheck if an accomplishment.
Good post. Shoot even the best coach to ever live had his droughts. Coach bryant had his run in the early 60's winning in '61, '64, and '65, but the had to wait eight years before his next one, and then another 5 or 6 years after that. Shoot, can you imagine as demanding as out fan base is now if Saban went 8 years without winning a championship? He's gone 2 years now, and I've already seen people questioning what's wrong. It's uncanny.

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
As far as the DBs and OL are concerned, I understand tnr's frustrations perfectly. I'm sick to death of all those long bombs being completed over our DB, and everybody on here is too. I think that is what he's talking about.

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al
Good post. Shoot even the best coach to ever live had his droughts. Coach bryant had his run in the early 60's winning in '61, '64, and '65, but the had to wait eight years before his next one, and then another 5 or 6 years after that. Shoot, can you imagine as demanding as out fan base is now if Saban went 8 years without winning a championship? He's gone 2 years now, and I've already seen people questioning what's wrong. It's uncanny.
You've got to love Alabama fans for our passion. I too want to win it all every year. That's what we expect. The fact is, winning a title at any level is darn hard to do. At my age, I'm grateful for these great moments, and thankful for what we have. On a side note, growing up in the 60's and 70's, I'm still upset about not winning the title in 1962, 1966, 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975, and 1977. Would I ever blame the coaches or the players. Heck no. Things happen. To this day I'm appreciative to every one of them for giving me the greatest memories anyone could ever ask for. I would hope we all can appreciate the great moments Coach Saban and his assistant coaches are giving us each year. I certainly do.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Winning 5 out of 6 is impossible to do- no matter how much talent one team has on it's roster. There is a reason it has never been done. But we came closer than anyone had ever done before. Last years team over achieved. The early entries into the NFL equalizes things much more than some people understand. Only this year did we have some games that were closer than they should have been. Other teams have players too- and Alabama often gets everyone's best shot.
I wasn't really directing anything at you or your post per say. I'm just frustrated with our coaching staff. The OL and DB play the last 2 seasons has been inexcusably poor and it's just has got under my skin at this point.

To out recruit every school in the nation for 8 seasons, yet we are lucky if we see them reach their full potential 2 times a season. We diddle around with teams we should blow out and we lose to teams we shouldn't. It sounds like complaining I know when we phrase it like 'well we've won 3 out of 6' but the truth is we won 3 out of 4 and have underperformed the last 2 seasons.

I get the 'well you can't win them all' phrase that everyone likes to throw around but have we not been significantly more talented than the 4 teams we have lost to in the last two seasons?

We should have won 4 in a row and 5 out of 6 as insane as it may sound. The recruiting definitely ensures 10-win seasons but the coaching is keeping us from maximizing potential. This past team is one of the closest teams we've had chemistry wise and the staff failed them at the end.

I dunno....I just can't beat my chest about recruiting classes/rankings anymore. I'm in the 'show me what you are going to do with them' phase towards the staff now. It is what it is I guess.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I wasn't really directing anything at you or your post per say. I'm just frustrated with our coaching staff. The OL and DB play the last 2 seasons has been inexcusably poor and it's just has got under my skin at this point.

To out recruit every school in the nation for 8 seasons, yet we are lucky if we see them reach their full potential 2 times a season. We diddle around with teams we should blow out and we lose to teams we shouldn't. It sounds like complaining I know when we phrase it like 'well we've won 3 out of 6' but the truth is we won 3 out of 4 and have underperformed the last 2 seasons.

I get the 'well you can't win them all' phrase that everyone likes to throw around but have we not been significantly more talented than the 4 teams we have lost to in the last two seasons?

We should have won 4 in a row and 5 out of 6 as insane as it may sound. The recruiting definitely ensures 10-win seasons but the coaching is keeping us from maximizing potential. This past team is one of the closest teams we've had chemistry wise and the staff failed them at the end.

I dunno....I just can't beat my chest about recruiting classes/rankings anymore. I'm in the 'show me what you are going to do with them' phase towards the staff now. It is what it is I guess.
OK, which coaches do you think should be gone. It's obvious that no one would want CNS, CKS or CLK gone and we have lost several already this off season. Just wondering what coaches does that leave that are not 'coaching them up'?

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I try to look at it like this: Who has won three of six? Who was one of the first four in the first playoff? Who won back-to-back? Of course I could say who lost three of six? Who was beaten when favored to win the first playoff championship? All these are Bama, the good and the not-so-good.

I love college football and during the off season I delve into stats. Recruiting stats, all-time stats, conference stats and such as that. To me it beats the boob tube.

The College Game is in the midst a major HUNH shift at the moment. I wonder if that has anything to do with underperforming? It took some traditional teams some time to figure out the wishbone.
I think part of it has to do with not so much Bama under performing as it does the teams we play coming in with a chip on their shoulder and over performing. Lots has to do with teams playing a power house named Bama. It's easier to get up for a team if you are the under dog than it is for Bama to get up for teams when we are always favored.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think one issue is people hear #1 ranked recruiting class and imagine it as having some massive weight. It doesn't, and it's not like basketball either where a coach can hypothetically fill his lineup up with only top ranked recruits.

When you look at Alabama and you see a 3.9 or what ever and you go wow, that's awesome and it is, but you go a few spots down and you see 3.6. By rankings, sure Alabama is #1, but to really imagine that the .3 is this massive on field advantage is to just misunderstand recruiting. If you went by star ratings last year, Florida, Ohio State, and LSU would have had a negligible difference in terms of players they put on the field.

It's kind of like one kid making a 98 on a test and another kid making a 95 and pretending one did so much better than the other. It's great to make the best grade in the class, but that doesn't automatically mean you are twice as smart as everyone else.

Last edited:

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
So. Much. Angst.

Would I like our DBs to look for the ball? Heck yeah.
Would I like our OL to play like a few years ago? Of course
Would I like to win the lottery every night for the next week?

Just because a group of football nerds say the collective potential of our twenty-plus 18 year olds is better than the collective potential of EVERY OTHER SCHOOL, that doesn't mean that they will become or even can become better than anyone else's group. We are so very spoiled right now, and as a graduate in Dec 2001, I refuse to forget that. Even our current success is not sustainable forever, so I'm just going to enjoy it.

That doesn't mean I'm not going to yell at the TV when a DB gets burned on a bad read or gets flagged for contact without looking for the ball, of course.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.