Some recruiting stats to drool over.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
If you like comparing stats then you might like these. According to 24/7 and if I understand their data:

Bama had the #1 player at his position from four states, AL, KY, DC and NJ. Auburn had one, from GA. Bama average star = 4.17 and Auburn 3.78. Bama position ranking per state average = 9.7 while Auburn is a whopping 33.7. Bama's lowest ranked player was 28, while Auburn had ten ranked 28 and below, including players ranked 154 and 168.

It does not look even close for the goobs. Also, USC does not have the numbers that their "almost" number one would lead one to believe.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If you like comparing stats then you might like these. According to 24/7 and if I understand their data:

Bama had the #1 player at his position from four states, AL, KY, DC and NJ. Auburn had one, from GA. Bama average star = 4.17 and Auburn 3.78. Bama position ranking per state average = 9.7 while Auburn is a whopping 33.7. Bama's lowest ranked player was 28, while Auburn had ten ranked 28 and below, including players ranked 154 and 168.

It does not look even close for the goobs. Also, USC does not have the numbers that their "almost" number one would lead one to believe.
All that's great except it doesn't mean anything. Bama has had the #1 class the past 4 or 5 years in a row. We haven't made national the championship game the past two years. But guess who did..

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
All of that means nothing to me anymore. We have had more roster talent than AU, OK, OM, and OSU and lost all 4 of those games. In 2 of those losses our Defense was shredded.

Coaching is my concern. Positional/Unit development and Gameday prep/Ingame Adjustments is where we need to improve. We get out coached too much for my liking even in games we do win. Some teams hang with us closer than they should for the disparity in talent.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Hold on.

We've won three out of the last six and were on the cusp of playing for two more. Our program is on the verge an unprecedented run of excellence, even for us. History tells us, however, that nobody wins them all. Our recruiting gives us a chance. Talent and coaching aren't always enough. Sometimes teams just don't mesh.

QUOTE=tusks_n_raider;2585126]All of that means nothing to me anymore. We have had more roster talent than AU, OK, OM, and OSU and lost all 4 of those games. In 2 of those losses our Defense was shredded.

Coaching is my concern. Positional/Unit development and Gameday prep/Ingame Adjustments is where we need to improve. We get out coached too much for my liking even in games we do win. Some teams hang with us closer than they should for the disparity in talent.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
As I said at the beginning, IF YOU LIKE COMPARING STATS. Some people don't like them and say they mean nothing. To each his own.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
As I said at the beginning, IF YOU LIKE COMPARING STATS. Some people don't like them and say theY mean nothing. To each his own.
I wasn't really directing anything at you or your post per say. I'm just frustrated with our coaching staff. The OL and DB play the last 2 seasons has been inexcusably poor and it's just has got under my skin at this point.

To out recruit every school in the nation for 8 seasons, yet we are lucky if we see them reach their full potential 2 times a season. We diddle around with teams we should blow out and we lose to teams we shouldn't. It sounds like complaining I know when we phrase it like 'well we've won 3 out of 6' but the truth is we won 3 out of 4 and have underperformed the last 2 seasons.

I get the 'well you can't win them all' phrase that everyone likes to throw around but have we not been significantly more talented than the 4 teams we have lost to in the last two seasons?

We should have won 4 in a row and 5 out of 6 as insane as it may sound. The recruiting definitely ensures 10-win seasons but the coaching is keeping us from maximizing potential. This past team is one of the closest teams we've had chemistry wise and the staff failed them at the end.

I dunno....I just can't beat my chest about recruiting classes/rankings anymore. I'm in the 'show me what you are going to do with them' phase towards the staff now. It is what it is I guess.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I try to look at it like this: Who has won three of six? Who was one of the first four in the first playoff? Who won back-to-back? Of course I could say who lost three of six? Who was beaten when favored to win the first playoff championship? All these are Bama, the good and the not-so-good.

I love college football and during the off season I delve into stats. Recruiting stats, all-time stats, conference stats and such as that. To me it beats the boob tube.

The College Game is in the midst a major HUNH shift at the moment. I wonder if that has anything to do with underperforming? It took some traditional teams some time to figure out the wishbone.

Last edited:

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Time to fire Coach Saban because he coaches the DBs.
I don't get some people. Winning a national championship is not an easy thing to do, in fact it is very difficult. When was the last time and how often do teams win back to back national titles? It has been a while and is rather rare. Geesh, talk about being spoiled. Just how many coaches have even won three national titles? CNS has won four and three of the last six. Add in the number of players we have leaving early and that is aheck if an accomplishment.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
The College Game is in the midst a major HUNH shift at the moment. I wonder if that has anything to do with underperforming? It took some traditional teams some time to figure out the wishbone.
That's definitely a piece of the equation/problem I agree. It looks like we are joining the fray on offense which is fine but it's the defensive side that we can't seem to get solved.

On a positive note we did address DB in this class and I am hopeful about that. If we can't find an answer w/ them plus Brown, Jackson, and Humphrey then we are probably going to have to just get use to high scoring affairs.

But I do think we teach faulty technique. It's not enough to just stay on a guys hip...we gotta start looking for the ball in the air. Hopefully the new guys do it instinctively.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I wasn't really directing anything at you or your post per say. I'm just frustrated with our coaching staff. The OL and DB play the last 2 seasons has been inexcusably poor and it's just has got under my skin at this point.

To out recruit every school in the nation for 8 seasons, yet we are lucky if we see them reach their full potential 2 times a season. We diddle around with teams we should blow out and we lose to teams we shouldn't. It sounds like complaining I know when we phrase it like 'well we've won 3 out of 6' but the truth is we won 3 out of 4 and have underperformed the last 2 seasons.

I get the 'well you can't win them all' phrase that everyone likes to throw around but have we not been significantly more talented than the 4 teams we have lost to in the last two seasons?

We should have won 4 in a row and 5 out of 6 as insane as it may sound. The recruiting definitely ensures 10-win seasons but the coaching is keeping us from maximizing potential. This past team is one of the closest teams we've had chemistry wise and the staff failed them at the end.

I dunno....I just can't beat my chest about recruiting classes/rankings anymore. I'm in the 'show me what you are going to do with them' phase towards the staff now. It is what it is I guess.

You have a far too simplified look at recruiting and team building. Only 11 guys play at any given time. Many teams have 11 really good players on both sides of the ball.
Add to that beating Alabama can further a coaches career and propel a team to new heights.

It does very little good to have 4, 5 star runningbacks if only 1 gets to carry the ball. Combine that with the top players leaving early creating inexperience, throw in the passion of a team wanting to win so much they dedicate themselves to one game more than the others and it's very easy to get beaten with the parity in football.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
That's definitely a piece of the equation/problem I agree. It looks like we are joining the fray on offense which is fine but it's the defensive side that we can't seem to get solved.

On a positive note we did address DB in this class and I am hopeful about that. If we can't find an answer w/ them plus Brown, Jackson, and Humphrey then we are probably going to have to just get use to high scoring affairs.

But I do think we teach faulty technique. It's not enough to just stay on a guys hip...we gotta start looking for the ball in the air. Hopefully the new guys do it instinctively.
Coach Saban had talked about this early in the season. He said that running and trying to coach against the no huddle takes time away from teaching proper technique because you don't have time between plays to stop and show a player what he is doing wrong.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

You should take a closer look at the recruiting rankings of the DB and OL units that you are referring to before talking about the horrible coaching.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
various complaints about coaching
I don't really know what to say to you at this point, but you've been at it for a while.

You do realize that Alabama's accomplishments are every bit as far ahead of other programs as their recruiting has been under Nick Saban? You do get that it's not normal to win 3 national championships in four years? You did notice that Alabama won the SEC, in what might have been the toughest college division in my lifetime? I'm not sure what you want, but you seem to have this really convoluted idea that Alabama should never lose, and if they did lose it must be because of some major failure.

Vince Lombardi lost, Bear Bryant lost, every one loses and every team eventually gets beat up, has some weaknesses, etc... I don't know what reality you are in, but you are embodying the spoiled, entitled, and ignorant Alabama fan. You want to talk about not living up to potential? Look at Florida, who barely trailed Alabama in recruiting for the past few years yet was extremely far behind on the field. Look at Miami, which is constantly stocked with NFL talent but hasn't been a contender in over a decade. Look at Mack Brown at Texas, who could recruit a top ten class without leaving his office, yet lost 21 games over his last four seasons. Heck, look at LSU, who has been neck in neck in terms of talent and recruiting, but has lost 6 more games over the past 3 seasons.

You don't seem to grasp what struggling is, what bad coaching looks like, you don't seem to understand what it means to truly under-perform. Let me give you a hint, winning the SECCG is not under-performing. Being in the title hunt is not under-performing...

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Vince Lombardi lost, Bear Bryant lost, every one loses and every team eventually gets beat up, has some weaknesses, etc...
It is worth noting that no one in the history of the game has won more games in a 7 year period than CNS has. It is also worth noting that if CNS had coached under the same criteria for winning a NC as Coach Bryant did, he would have 5 NC's in 7 years, because we finished the regular season #1 in 2008 and last year. Since the inception of the SECCG, the BCS, and now the Playoff system, the path is much harder now than it has ever been to win a NC, and CNS is still winning at a historic level.

Some of you guys are going to be in for a rude awakening when CNS hangs up that straw hat I'm afraid. I'm going to enjoy and appreciate it as long it lasts.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is an Alabama board, so I'm not going to tell you how to feel about your team, but I have nothing but respect for what Coach Saban and his staff has done since he arrived. You have beed in the national championship hunt up until the last week of the season in all but two of his years at Alabama, and one of those was his first season there. That is crazy good - CRAZY GOOD. You have also won three championships in that period coming out of the SEC during a period in which the SEC was, by far, the best conference in college football. That is even more amazing.

I am not going to promise you that you will win another national championship. There is just too much involved that is outside of your control. Even when you are great, you need a lucky break or two. In your three championship seasons, you got breaks that saved you. In the years in which you didn't win it all, you didn't get those breaks. You can't predict that stuff. But you want a coach who will put your team in a position to take advantage of those breaks if they come, and Saban does that better than any coach in the game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Great post!

Heard that the Goobers are bragging about "winning the state" in recruiting. They have signed 3 straight Mr. Footballs, but I think they fail to realize our target is not necessarily the state of Alabama anymore.

It is true that we don't get everybody we want. But they got two guys from the state this year: Kerron Johnson and Darrell Williams who we probably get if we really would have wanted them.

I know for a fact, having talked to an assitant coach at Madison Academy, that KJ went to Auburn because CNS basically said he wouldn't play running back at Bama. Also, heard that DW's dream was to play at Bama, but apparently, he wasn't high enough on our board.

So while the Barners brag about "winning the state" we just go out and "win the nation."

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I wonder how we Bama fans get our reputation as spoiled. When you call out our staff during this run you just plain look ignorant (wish I could use stronger language). I want to win the NC every year but to call out coaching when you don't is amazing :rolleye2:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Great post!

Heard that the Goobers are bragging about "winning the state" in recruiting. They have signed 3 straight Mr. Footballs, but I think they fail to realize our target is not necessarily the state of Alabama anymore.

It is true that we don't get everybody we want. But they got two guys from the state this year: Kerron Johnson and Darrell Williams who we probably get if we really would have wanted them.

I know for a fact, having talked to an assitant coach at Madison Academy, that KJ went to Auburn because CNS basically said he wouldn't play running back at Bama. Also, heard that DW's dream was to play at Bama, but apparently, he wasn't high enough on our board.

So while the Barners brag about "winning the state" we just go out and "win the nation."
player ranking (by position) in the state:
AL - 1, 3, 5,6, 10
AU - 2, 4, 7,8,9

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.