Whats the most impactful play from the Nick Saban era?

tidegrandpa

All-American
For me it was beating Arky in 07. We barely lost to Georgia that year in OT but I knew when we came back against Arky and put that big stud running back out, we were coming back. Also the whipping 1st game against Clemson in '08 and C J Spiller was a non factor.

bamafan_bdb

1st Team
Jan 14, 2004
Single plays? Quick list off the top of my head...

Rashad Johnson interception against LSU in OT in 2008
Cody block against UT in 2009
Julio down the sideline against LSU in 2009
Upchurch TD against Auburn in 2009
Dareus interception against Texas in 2010 BCS game
Yeldon screen TD against LSU in 2012
Cooper TD against UGA in 2012
Blake pass to White against LSU in 2014
Blake pass to Cooper against Auburn in 2014

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Never understood the fascination with the 2009 block of a last-second FG by Tennessee. It was no doubt dramatic, but really didn't mean all that much.

Here's why I say that: Tennessee was Auburn-lucky to be in the game at all.
-- They recovered Trent Richardson's only collegiate fumble on our 20 or so, late in the 4th quarter
-- they took that in for a TD against one of the best defenses in the country.
-- they recovered the ensuing onside kick.
-- they then made a coupe of first downs to get into FG position.
-- It was early enough in the season that, if they had made the FG (and I still maintain that,,if Cody hadn't blocked it, it would have been a duck-hook down and left), there was time to re-group.
-- even if by some miracle, UT made the FG, we had the next week off, which would have given time to recover from the emotion.

Point being, I think the drive against the boogs later that season was infinitely more important. If we hadn't made it, we still would have been in the SECCG, but there's no way we would beat that Florida team coming off an emotional loss to our rival the week before. No win against Florida, no Tebow crying, no UTw whining.

In chronological order, I'd put:
-- Matt Caddell's catch a against Arkansas in 2007. Showed what we can do if we buy in.
-- The OL performance in the second half against Clemson in the Georgia Dome at the start of the 2008 season. I was there, and Clemson's DL was turning down hits. They just wanted to go home. Second step in the results that fall out of the Process, if followed.
-- 2009, Julio down the left sideline in Bryant Denny
-- 2009 drive on the farm.
-- 2011 total shutdown in the BCSNCG of an LSU team that the talking heads had anointed the greatest college team of all time
-- 2012 drive against LSU

If I had to pick one single play, it would be Roy Upchurch catching Greg McElroy's pass in the barn, 2009.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
For me it was beating Arky in 07. We barely lost to Georgia that year in OT but I knew when we came back against Arky and put that big stud running back out, we were coming back. Also the whipping 1st game against Clemson in '08 and C J Spiller was a non factor.
i was about to post the same about the winning td catch vs. arky in '07.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Here's a twist on impactful plays. The "kick 6" against the boogs in 2013 had a huge impact on that season. That play and subsequent loss ended the possibility of a 3-peat. We win that game...we beat Missouri and FSU...three in a row. That play did not have a positive impact for that season but it was nevertheless impactful.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I hate to say it but probably the 108 yard FG return. Without that play we would have most likely become the first team to win three national titles in a row.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I'd have to say McElroy to Upchurch vs Auburn in 09... Not just for the fact we beat Auburn AND we kept our BCS Championship on track but more for the fact that we had a gameday coach who would look at the situation and call a play based on the overall setup. I don't think anyone saw that play coming and it was executed perfectly.

Compare that to Yeldon over left guard 3x vs Auburn in 2013...

That was the play that, to me, told me we were set. The Tennessee block(s) could factor here as well but those were a bit more luck than the Iron Bowl play.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This play showed the country Alabama was back.

Another one for consideration could be Kelly Johnson sealed the block on Jarvis Jones to allow TJ the backside to even be able to work his butt off to get the first down on third and five.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I hate to say it but probably the 108 yard FG return. Without that play we would have most likely become the first team to win three national titles in a row.
This is exactly what I thought of.

If we're looking for positive impact, I'd go Rocky Block. Had UT made the field goal, we would have zero undefeated seasons under Saban even if we had gone on to win the title, which is questionable. Not only that, but that was the championship that started our run. If we don't win that championship, who knows how the future would have unfolded.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
To me so much of championships hinge on the belief that they can be won. Lots of teams say with their mouth they are playing for a championship but few truely believe they can. Alabama had a lot of magical moments in 2008, Mt Cody flattened the Clemson running back in the backfield in the 1st quarter in Atlanta and for the first time Alabama fans had a reason to believe they could beat a top ranked team. But later they collapsed against Tebow in the 4th quarter and never showed up against Utah in the sugar bowl. If I were going to pick a play it would have to come against Tebow in the 4th quarter of the 09 SEC title game. That was the first time I saw fear in his eyes, the first time he felt he couldn't pull this out and the first time Alabama really truely KNEW they could be champions. Alabama has won two more and came 1 minute from playing for two more since then but that 2009 team was the team that broke the mental barrier that Alabama can win championships.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
From a positive perspective, to me it was the JP Wilson pass to Julio in the 2008 Georgia blackout game that's in RTR91's video above. As he said, that signified to the rest of the world that Alabama was back and ready to compete on the national stage.

From a negative perspective, it was not the Auburn FG td return. It was the failed conversion of the 3rd and short and subsequent 4th and short late in that game, deep in Auburn territory, that would have led to a game securing score. THAT is what lost that game and ultimately, ended the drive for a 3rd straight NC. I agree we would have clobbered Missouri, but who knows if we would have beaten FSU? I like to think we would have.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I agree with many of those chosen here. I'd like to add the hit and fumble recovery by Eryk Anders vs. Texas, late in the 2nd half, which all but clinched Saban's first championship with Bama. That backup QB was giving us grief in the second half! :)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The reason i said all of it, because there has been so many defining moments throughout the seasons under CNS. We've had so many plays by players over the years, its so amazing... Good and bad win/loss... The loss we've suffered to LSU, Auburn, Ole miss, and then all those profound wins we have had... this season has bene real amazing... Arkansas, LSU, Auburn... There's just so many...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.