Espn way too early preseason top 25

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
We have seen what happens when the media is in love with USC. Let's see if they can actually deliver this year.

I agree with our ranking....no higher than 3 for me.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
TCU returns 10 starters on offense. That should scare everyone in the Big 12. Easily understand why Schlabach would have them ranked second.
They are losing a lot on defense and they also lost their DC. Their O will score a lot of points on teams, but their defense looks to take a major step back. However, if their D doesn't miss a beat (Patterson is known for coaching up defensive players well) then TCU will be an extremely hard team to beat next season.

I'm on that bandwagon that TCU was most likely the best team in the country this past year. They manhandled Ole Miss.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
TCU had ONE great year and now they are the team to beat? I look for them to return to their norm, which is losing several games. Since joining the B12 their record is 7-6, 4-8 & 12-1. That looks like Auburn, up and down, up and down. We shall see who is right in about eight months. All the preseason polls I have seen have TCU either 1, 2, 3 or 4. So, I am in the minority.

Last edited:

C Earl

1st Team
Aug 17, 2005
Cahaba Heights
TCU should be a good ball club. I believe they are returning quite a bit, including their QB. Auburn is too low. Jeremy Johnson can be a real weapon for them.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
TCU had ONE great year and now they are the team to beat? I look for them to return to their norm, which is losing several games. Since joining the B12 their record is 7-6, 4-8 & 12-1. That looks like Auburn, up and down, up and down. We shall see who is right in about eight months. All the preseason polls I have seen have TCU either 1, 2, 3 or 4. So, I am in the minority.
One great year? TCU had several good years prior to joining the Big 12. Patterson admits he had to adjust to the Big 12 by getting a more explosive offense. He's done that.

No one has said they are the team to beat. We're just saying they will be a good team next season.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Their entire O is back. They'll score on teams next season and their QB will be in the Heisman discussion all year.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
TCU should be a good ball club. I believe they are returning quite a bit, including their QB. Auburn is too low. Jeremy Johnson can be a real weapon for them.
But look at what auburn has to deal with. If their defense isnt ready then there is a legit chance that they lose to Louisville in game 1. Then having LSU,Arkie,and aTm on the road is going to be a tall order. Then finally to wrap it up with us and UGA is going to be tough. I think most sport's analysts see that Auburn is going to lose 3-5 games unless a miracle happens (which it tends to do, but Luck is dead at the momment). I agree JJ is good, but he is no nick marshall and he has 1 good reciever not two.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Besides OU and Baylor, who is going to challenge them? Also did you forget they won the Rose Bowl in 2010. As for the other years you forget that Gundy, Briles, and Stoops had pretty loaded teams, and its not so suprising for a team to struggle when entering a power 5 conference after losing your best qb of all time in Andy Dalton. So are you also saying Missouri winning the east is going to be a norm as well???

Head coaching record[edit]

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsCoaches[SUP]#[/SUP]AP[SUP]°[/SUP]
TCU Horned Frogs (Western Athletic Conference) (2000)
2000TCU0–1[SUP][n 1][/SUP][SUP][n 1][/SUP][SUP][n 1][/SUP]L Mobile Alabama1821
TCU Horned Frogs (Conference USA) (2001–2004)
2001TCU6–64–3T–5thL Galleryfurniture.com
2002TCU10–26–2T–1stW Liberty2223
2003TCU11–27–12ndL Fort Worth2425
2004TCU5–63–5T–6th
TCU Horned Frogs (Mountain West Conference) (2005–2011)
2005TCU11–18–01stW Houston911
2006TCU11–26–22ndW Poinsettia2122
2007TCU8–54–45thW Texas
2008TCU11–27–12ndW Poinsettia77
2009TCU12–18–01stL Fiesta[SUP][/SUP]66
2010TCU13–08–01stW Rose[SUP][/SUP]22
2011TCU11–27–01stW Poinsettia1314
TCU Horned Frogs (Big 12 Conference) (2012–present)
2012TCU7–64–5T–5thL Buffalo Wild Wings
2013TCU4–82–7T–7th
2014TCU12–18–1T–1stW Peach[SUP][/SUP]33
TCU:132–4582–31
Total:132–45
National championship Conference title Conference division title

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I can understand TCU getting some love, but Baylor? They loose a lot on offense(QB) and they basically don't play defense so I really doubt they're a top 5 team. USCw is too high but will be better. Arkansas could be a really good team but I'm not feeling the love for Tennessee.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I can understand TCU getting some love, but Baylor? They loose a lot on offense(QB) and they basically don't play defense so I really doubt they're a top 5 team. USCw is too high but will be better. Arkansas could be a really good team but I'm not feeling the love for Tennessee.
Arkansas will be on everyone's radar at competing for the west. Tennessee is going to be good, but the question is how good. They get everyone except UGA in a very advantagous spot. For exmple, they have a bye week before they play us wheras we have @UGA, Arkie, and @ aTm right before we play them. Their schedule is full of those kinda things.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Let me quote myself to explain what I DID NOT SAY. I NEVER SAID TCU had not had good seasons in the past. I SPECIFICALLY said their B12 record. 7-6, 4-8 & 12-1.

I get so frustrated with people NOT READING my posts and then making it look like I said TCU NEVER had a bowl win or had a great season.

PLEASE, IF YOU ARE GOING TO QUOTE ME, AT LEAST LET YOUR COMMENTS STICK TO MY QUOTE. I AM TALKING ABOUT THE CURRENT TCU IN THE BIG 12.

7-6. 4-8. 12-1.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Let me quote myself to explain what I DID NOT SAY. I NEVER SAID TCU had not had good seasons in the past. I SPECIFICALLY said their B12 record. 7-6, 4-8 & 12-1.

I get so frustrated with people NOT READING my posts and then making it look like I said TCU NEVER had a bowl win or had a great season.

PLEASE, IF YOU ARE GOING TO QUOTE ME, AT LEAST LET YOUR COMMENTS STICK TO MY QUOTE. I AM TALKING ABOUT THE CURRENT TCU IN THE BIG 12.

7-6. 4-8. 12-1.
Like 81usaf92 said above, does Mizzou going to two straight SEC championship games mean they will normally be the Eastern Division champ? You have to look at the other factors. TCU, under Patterson, has had plenty of success. Their first two season in the Big 12 were difficult.

In 2012, the starting QB Casey Pachall had issues (injuries and drug related). Therefore a true freshman Trevone Boykin had to become the starting QB. Missouri was in a similar situation as James Franklin suffered injuries.

In 2013, Pachall and Boykin shared time as the starter. IIRC, Pachall continued to have issues off the field.

In 2014, Boykin becomes the full time starter, and Patterson revamps his offense to be more like a Big 12 team while keeping his stout defense.

Don't look at a 3 year window when a coach has been at a school for 14 years and has a combine 44 losses (45 if you include the bowl game when Fran left.)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

7-6. 4-8. 12-1.
Alright then, like I said who do YOU have winning the big 12. Because it truly looks like a three way race between tcu, ou, and Baylor. And out of those three it really looks like tcu is the team to beat because briles doesn't have a defense, and bob stoops doesn't have a complete team. After that you have ksu and Texas, and calling for texas right now is like calling for Kentucky to win the east because they have a decent coach.

So why are you so focused on a three span when we are talking about the upcoming year and who's got what presently?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Alright then, like I said who do YOU have winning the big 12. Because it truly looks like a three way race between tcu, ou, and Baylor. And out of those three it really looks like tcu is the team to beat because briles doesn't have a defense, and bob stoops doesn't have a complete team. After that you have ksu and Texas, and calling for texas right now is like calling for Kentucky to win the east because they have a decent coach.

So why are you so focused on a three span when we are talking about the upcoming year and who's got what presently?
Well, first I NEVER said TCU didn't beat Wisconsin. I mean, people are putting words in my mouth. I am focused on the three years TCU has played a real conference schedule. Missouri has already played in a real conference, for example, many years. I think I will just agree that TCU will win the national championship. There. Now everyone should be happy.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well, first I NEVER said TCU didn't beat Wisconsin. I mean, people are putting words in my mouth. I am focused on the three years TCU has played a real conference schedule. Missouri has already played in a real conference, for example, many years. I think I will just agree that TCU will win the national championship. There. Now everyone should be happy.
Why don't you follow your own advice and quit putting words in our mouths? No one is saying TCU will be the national champion.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
No one said tcu would win the natty. The question is do you agree with the way too early rankings. If you don't agree with tcu being where they are then just say it, but don't try to compare three years to justify this coming up year or a whole body of work.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.