Supreme Court Denies AL Request for Stay Re: Gay Marriage

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The thing about that though is driver's licenses are recognized in other states as well as the one in which it's issued. If that weren't the case we'd all have a bit of a problem when we cross state lines (vacation, etc.). Even when you fly into airports across the country, get off the plane and rent a car, you have to have a valid driver's license, right?
When it comes to marriage licenses, what if they weren't recognized in other states? What if you pile your wife and kids into the car to go on vacation and you travel across the country. You all get to a motel and you register for yourself and your family. If your marriage license isn't recognized in that state, they don't recognize that woman as your wife or those kids as your kids. Uh oh..
Your statements about a driver's license are not completely accurate. If you pass through or otherwise visit a state, sure. If you take up residence in a state, nope -- you are generally required to obtain a license from your new state of residence, and you must meet all prerequisites in order to obtain said license. The same can also be said about vehicle registration.

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Your statements about a driver's license are not completely accurate. If you pass through or otherwise visit a state, sure. If you take up residence in a state, nope -- you are generally required to obtain a license from your new state of residence, and you must meet all prerequisites in order to obtain said license.
Agreed, but I wasn't talking about moving to another state, only visiting. I'm well aware of the requirements to get a driver's license in and for the state to which one moves.
As an aside, I recently renewed my Alabama driver's license. During a visit to the license office, I waited in line for an hour, then paid for my new license, had a new picture taken, etc.. I was given a temporary license card and my new license arrived in the mail a couple of weeks later.
When I moved from Georgia to South Carolina, I went to the license office there and completed all the forms for a license transfer. I walked in the door, paid the fee, had my picture taken, etc.. Except they processed everything right there and I left with my new license in a matter of minutes. That was in 1986. The technology in Alabama still hasn't caught up?

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
I be the rich can't wait for polygamy to be allowed, thier tax bill will go down a whole lot.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
So a state-issued license is a human rights issue? Interesting.
The license is a convenience, not a privilege. Live together for a length of time and/or call each other husband/wife/spouse publicly and you establish a legal common law marriage without paying a cent to the state. Under current law you do not NEED a license to marry. And since you are so keen on the constitution and all, the SCOTUS has recognized marriage a right, not merely a privilege as you suggest.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The license is a convenience, not a privilege. Live together for a length of time and/or call each other husband/wife/spouse publicly and you establish a legal common law marriage without paying a cent to the state. Under current law you do not NEED a license to marry. And since you are so keen on the constitution and all, the SCOTUS has recognized marriage a right, not merely a privilege as you suggest.
It's necessary to point out that there are only a few states where this is true, Alabama being one of them...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
The license is a convenience, not a privilege. Wrong.

States have different driving laws. Imagine that.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
The Feds frequently allow states to impose restrictions on rights (see pistol permits and free speech zones). So even if marriage is a right, the question is not can states regulate it but how. If a man and woman seek to marry but are related, the state may refuse even if offspring are not possible. Likewise, if someone seeks to marry a second spouse the state may refuse, even if they are financially capable of supporting such an arrangement. But the courts are starting to find that states may not refuse to recognize a marriage if both parties are of the same sex. I suggest this is mainly because such relationships are no longer taboo the way incest and polygamy still largely are. If the general mood toward these things changes, that slippery slope may indeed be realized.
My guess is that the current question before SCOTUS will go the same way as interracial marriage, though. The precedent is already there for the federal government to override a state's rules on what marriages to recognize.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The problem is that our fore fathers worded the Bill of Rights (ammendment 1-10) very broadly. Basically it comes down to modern interpretation. The States against it have a bonafide agruement with the 10th Ammendment and the Gay Rights Activists have a bonafide arguement with the 9th. The US Supreme Court must define how marriage is recognized and who recognizes it. If they decide that it is the State's decision then so be it, and if it is the federal government's decision then also so be it. I dont care either way, but I do think Grande made this monster by making a controversial decision about an issue that would be resolved one way or the other in the summer nationwide. And the fact that Alabama will fight an unpopular issue, even if its an up hill battle, until they cant anymore. See George Wallace for example. Grande's decision will most likely stand, but really what was the point in causing the political chaos when the Supreme Court was going to make a final ruling (in which Alabama couldnt fight) in 5 to 7 months.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.