the gays have started marrying in alabama

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not sure if this was directed at me, but yes, there is a long history of jurisprudence ruling that marriage is a fundamental right that need not be spelled out.
Disregarding other cultures, where the right to marry as one wishes is definitely not guaranteed, marriage as a right evolved in English practice and law. In feudal days, it was very much circumscribed by the rights of the lord of the manor, particularly second marriages...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Disregarding other cultures, where the right to marry as one wishes is definitely not guaranteed, marriage as a right evolved in English practice and law. In feudal days, it was very much circumscribed by the rights of the lord of the manor, particularly second marriages...
there you going redefining our current redefinition

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I know you are an attorney and that caused my statement. There have been studies that prove otherwise. Dealing with fragmenting families is an huge burden on our legal system as well as our social services system. If you don't think this will increase the complexity and overhead on our legal system, that boggles my mind.

http://www.amazon.com/Taxpayer-Costs-Divorce-Unwed-Childbearing/dp/193176414X

I agree with the first sentence completely. Absolutely, I have seen all kinds of horror stories.

I agree with the second mostly (there are benefits to having both a male and female role model in the family for a child), but a divorce situation is always tough on the child.

The third I couldn't disagree more. Maybe you meant to phrase it like this. All types of parents love their children. That I could agree with, but there are some really selfish monster parents out there that show no love for their children, and that crosses all spectrums.
Thanks for posting a link that is worthless unless I want to shell out $5 to buy a book by an author who promotes taking money out of public schools. No thanks. There are no customer reviews for this book either. So, did you read it? What is the authors methodology?

Here is the bottom line regarding divorces...if the parents, gay or straight, wouldn't act like complete jerks when they get divorced, their children wouldn't suffer. I know several people who are divorced but remain very close to the former spouse and his/her family. Their children are happy and very well adjusted. The majority of children who suffer horrifically are those whose parents are selfish and put no consideration into what is best for their children. They pit one parent against the other and tell their children horrible things about the other parent. Scorned former spouses are some of the most despicable people on the planet. I don't do divorces for this very reason. I can't stand to deal with vile, selfish, and inconsiderate people. It's these people who put a burden on the system. GAY or STRAIGHT.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Thanks for posting a link that is worthless unless I want to shell out $5 to buy a book by an author who promotes taking money out of public schools. No thanks. There are no customer reviews for this book either. So, did you read it? What is the authors methodology?
I apologize for that. I have read excerpts. It appears sound and reasonable from my layman's eye, but I am not a statistical expert. I was just giving an example. There are others if you need me to research it.

Here is the bottom line regarding divorces...if the parents, gay or straight, wouldn't act like complete jerks when they get divorced, their children wouldn't suffer. I know several people who are divorced but remain very close to the former spouse and his/her family. Their children are happy and very well adjusted. The majority of children who suffer horrifically are those whose parents are selfish and put no consideration into what is best for their children. They pit one parent against the other and tell their children horrible things about the other parent. Scorned former spouses are some of the most despicable people on the planet. I don't do divorces for this very reason. I can't stand to deal with vile, selfish, and inconsiderate people. It's these people who put a burden on the system. GAY or STRAIGHT.
No arguments there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.