Texas assistant's duties questioned by OSU

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
AUSTIN, Texas -- Oklahoma State notified Texas officials on Monday that it wants to take sworn statements from Longhorns coach Charlie Strong and offensive coordinator Shawn Watson about who is calling the plays at Texas.

The move stems from Oklahoma State's breach of contract lawsuit against former Cowboys assistant Joe Wickline, who is now on Strong's staff at Texas.

Oklahoma State is suing Wickline in Oklahoma for nearly $600,000 because it says he made a lateral move to Texas and didn't take a promotion with "play-calling duties" as stated in his previous contract. Wickline tried to countersue in Texas, but his claim was dismissed.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...charlie-strong-regards-assistant-joe-wickline

I think OSU is seriously feeling jilted. Since I am one of those people who think words and rules mean something, I hope OSU wins if the contract was/is broken. It seems a little hard to prove, though.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Re: Assistant's duties questioned

Considering Texas raises a ton of cash and has one of the largest alumni networks in the country, why wouldn't they pay the $600k instead of potentially getting a lot of egg on their face. Considering their budget, $600k isn't a huge amount to make this story go away.

with that said, OSU looks even worse for being so petty. Is $600k worth it to the school that has one of the richest single donors in the country?

neither school will will look good in this. But it is entertaining to follow.

Last edited:

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL

Crybabies. Maybe he preferred living in Austin rather than staying in the cultural desert that is Oklahoma.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Is $600k worth it to the school that has one of the richest single donors in the country?

neither school will will look good in this. But it is entertaining to follow.
It's likely less about the current contract dispute and more about the strength of future contacts that OSU negotiates with its assistants.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK

IMHO this is really pretty simple. Seems to me that Wickline and UT were both familiar with the clause and he either did, or did not, call their offensive plays. As a local resident who has read about this from the start I have always felt that UT was initially trying to cover for Wickline who was hired to call plays but then somehow had that responsibility removed from him. I think UT assumed that once they told OSU that he did in fact call plays that this would go away but it didn't and now UT is in it with him.

Affidavits from UT would have ended all of this long ago if he had, in fact, been calling plays. That UT hasn't done this suggests to me that Wickline has not been calling plays, OSU is in the right, and UT is trying to weigh their options to make this go away quietly. Rednecks, however, never go away quietly, lol.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Based on how UT and Wickline have played this, they are getting what they deserve. Both parties knew about the clause and tried to do an end run to get out of the buyout and now they are being called on it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Alabama sued Mike Groh for $57,000 last February. Link

A year after leaving his job as Alabama's wide receivers coach, Mike Groh was sued by his former employer.

The University of Alabama filed suit against the Chicago Bears assistant for breaching his employment contract. The suit, filed Thursday morning in Tuscaloosa County Circuit Court, states Groh did not pay his buyout to leave UA for the Bears last February.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I expect lot of emphasis on buyout on contracts in the future to prevent situations like this to happen... Too much movement going on within NFL and College ranks.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.