Link: Oregon senator upset Ducks' 2015 class has no in-state signees

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
“It bothers me. It just does for whatever reason,” Courtney said Friday, per The Oregonian. “Are we to believe there’s not one high school senior who plays football in this state good enough for Oregon?”
Uh, yes. That is exactly what you are to believe. Apparently, there was only one high school senior good enough for Oregon State.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
That is pretty amazing. The Ducks have been a top tier program for some time now - it seems more Oregon high schools would have players who would be competitive enough to be recruited. That is strange.

I was reading an article a week or so ago about how much football talent is produced by the state of Georgia in the SE. The article seemed to indicate they led the southeast. It's an interesting component to the whole recruiting aspect, IMHO.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Let's check out 247's list of top 2015 recruits in Oregon. Nine players are on the list. Not a big selection of talent in state. 247 shows Cameron Scarlett as the only in-state player with an offer from Oregon.
Maybe if they took highschool football seriously like the highschools down here then there would not be so much disparity in talent. In grade school kids were already working out and plannung on being in the NFL in my school. Seriously, some of them were way too serious about it, but I think that is why we produce the talent we do.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Another way of looking at this is that California produces more talent than the instate schools can sign. Oregon and other PAC-12 states have gotten used to stocking their rosters with CA talent and cherry picking other states.

It's a similar situation that Oklahoma has with Texas.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
My guess would be political grandstanding for election points. If I was a reporter, I would call him right now and get a quote on whether he thought the Ducks should have passed on the Hawaiian, Marcus Mariota.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Let's check out 247's list of top 2015 recruits in Oregon. Nine players are on the list. Not a big selection of talent in state. 247 shows Cameron Scarlett as the only in-state player with an offer from Oregon.
I decided to looked at Alabama's top kids to see where they wind up, Mississippi St has 7 commits from Alabama for the 2015 class. the Bulldogs have 28 commits in all, which means that kids from Alabama made up 25 % of their signing class. I knew Miss St has always recruited in Alabama, but that is a high amount of Alabama kids in one class.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I decided to looked at Alabama's top kids to see where they wind up, Mississippi St has 7 commits from Alabama for the 2015 class. the Bulldogs have 28 commits in all, which means that kids from Alabama made up 25 % of their signing class. I knew Miss St has always recruited in Alabama, but that is a high amount of Alabama kids in one class.
And how many of those guys would be wearing Crimson and White or Navy and Orange if the home state schools wanted them? Probably all seven.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Oregon should definitely consider placing more importance on recruiting in-state players than recruiting players that will win championships.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
And how many of those guys would be wearing Crimson and White or Navy and Orange if the home state schools wanted them? Probably all seven.
Oh I agree whole heartedly, but my post wasn't about Alabama or auburn recruiting them, my point was that's a lot of Alabama kids committed to one school particularly a SEC West school.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It makes the rise to power of that program even more impressive, IMO. Not only is there a dearth of talent in Oregon, but there isn't much anywhere near them.

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
I haven't looked at their roster to see where they are getting their recruits but Oregon has California to recruit. I would be willing to bet Oregon's percentage of black athletes in-state is so low that have to go out of state for the better athletes.
When Joe Morrison was HC at the Univ of NM 35 years ago, NM had a population of 1.2 million people made up of roughly 1/3 Anglo, 1/3 Hispanic, 1/3 Indian with less than 3% black. Thank God for Texas, Arizona and California. The only in-state student-athlete I can remember we really recruited -that we really wanted- was Jim Everett who went to Purdue for academic reasons. If there are no recruits in your state, you have to go out of state or you suffer the consequences of not even being competitive. Having Joe Lee Dunn and Tommy McMahon coaching the defense is great but you still need athletes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.