Tyren Jones Suspended for Conduct Not to the Standard of the Program

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Tyren Jones went to Walton high school in Marietta - it's hardly a rough patch.

Kamara is from Norcross, Drake from Powder Springs and Freitag from Buford. All of those places are suburbs and nothing close to a rough patch.

This, which makes their collective problems all the more confusing. Undoubtedly a coincidence, but an awfully strange one.

It's like they all caught the westbound Lughead Express out of Atlanta.

Last edited:

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Im curious .... what does their neighborhood areas has to do with their suspensions....
Maybe nothing at all, or maybe everything. It depends on what he was suspended for. For example, if a kid is from a rough area of town somewhere, he could have fallen into a peer pressure situation that caused him to do something, maybe with old friends, that was against rules/law or whatever. Or he could simply have broken a team rule and it maybe had nothing to do with anything about where he came from. Wow, you couldn't see that? The person was simply saying that he was from a good area of town. While not guaranteeing that you'll never break the law (or rules) due to where you're from, I think the world has a pretty good history of showing that MOST of the worst acting people come from the toughest environments. That's not to say that you can't have a serial killer from a wealthy, well-to-do family here and there.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Hmmm...sounds like Coach Cochran has someone with too much energy to spend. More stadium's please!

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
He got in trouble last year, correct? IMO, this will be his last. If he screws up again he won't see the field and will end up transferring. He may even be considering that now, but I have no idea since very few know what he did to get the suspension. Some of those who screw up set things right, some do not - I don't think anyone who has done it three times stays in the program and sees the field. Does anyone recall under CNS anyone getting suspended three times and still getting to play?

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
What did I miss?

Do we know enough to be making any judgements or conclusions? This may be an issue that can be resolved by spring practices.
Understand the disappointment and frustration, even agree with it. Don't understand the rush to condemn and send the guy packing.

We just don't know enough of what is going on.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Some kids just will never fit in with what is expected in college. Maybe he is one.
IMHO, self-discipline, responsibility, respect for proper and just authority, and being able to focus outwardly to something larger than yourself (team goals for example) are values that are taught early in life. They generally do not result from coddling, excusing, and ignoring inappropriate behavior. I have no idea how Tyren Jones was raised and I also understand that kids make mistakes. I`m making a generalized statement that may or may not apply to him. I am saying, however, that kids with the aforementioned values are far less likely to make repeated mistakes. I`ve always believed that so much of what we are later in life is fashioned by how we were raised. I think that certainly applies to athletes as well.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
IMHO, self-discipline, responsibility, respect for proper and just authority, and being able to focus outwardly to something larger than yourself (team goals for example) are values that are taught early in life. They generally do not result from coddling, excusing, and ignoring inappropriate behavior. I have no idea how Tyren Jones was raised and I also understand that kids make mistakes. I`m making a generalized statement that may or may not apply to him. I am saying, however, that kids with the aforementioned values are far less likely to make repeated mistakes. I`ve always believed that so much of what we are later in life is fashioned by how we were raised. I think that certainly applies to athletes as well.
How you're raised gives you the toolbox from which to run your life positively. However, a good start to life DOES NOT make you use the tools you're given. No matter how well you're raised, when you are in college you will be making your own decisions and choosing your own path. Additionally, early college is when a lot of mental issues start to manifest themselves, which are entirely separate from the environment you are brought up in (I'm not saying Mr. Jones has mental issues in any way though).

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
How you're raised gives you the toolbox from which to run your life positively. However, a good start to life DOES NOT make you use the tools you're given. No matter how well you're raised, when you are in college you will be making your own decisions and choosing your own path. Additionally, early college is when a lot of mental issues start to manifest themselves, which are entirely separate from the environment you are brought up in (I'm not saying Mr. Jones has mental issues in any way though).
Certainly do agree, there are few if any guarantees in life. I`m also admittedly coming at this from a generational perspective. As I said, having the upbringing that I referred to doesn`t mean no mistakes, but I`ll always believe that the chances of mitigating the damage, and certainly limiting the chances of repeating mistakes, is greatly increased. The chances of success in "choosing your own path" are greatly enhanced with proper and consistent guidance. There is ample evidence, again IMHO, that that is woefully lacking for many of these kids.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm not the one to nitpick or anything like that.. I understand what everyone is trying to say and I respect their opinon... but I honestly believe that it's not always about where you come from. Anyone can come from a rich family and still have a behavior issues. I know a player from my highschool days... he was the best in the state... had offers from Alabama, Auburn and others.. but dude kept getting in trouble... and he came from well off family, lived in decent area and was popular. People do thinges because they wanted attention or don't know how to do things the right way and needed someone to teach them how. We learn through watching and experiencing things the hard way... That's why we need to not pass judgement so quick and ready to dimiss this person... I think given what we have seen from the players over the yeras that were suspended, I think everyone just jumped and assumed that this person did something real bad.

Maybe nothing at all, or maybe everything. It depends on what he was suspended for. For example, if a kid is from a rough area of town somewhere, he could have fallen into a peer pressure situation that caused him to do something, maybe with old friends, that was against rules/law or whatever. Or he could simply have broken a team rule and it maybe had nothing to do with anything about where he came from. Wow, you couldn't see that? The person was simply saying that he was from a good area of town. While not guaranteeing that you'll never break the law (or rules) due to where you're from, I think the world has a pretty good history of showing that MOST of the worst acting people come from the toughest environments. That's not to say that you can't have a serial killer from a wealthy, well-to-do family here and there.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Tyren, if you're reading this, this is/was the opportunity that you had/have before you. Wake up.

From al.com:
2014 Alabama leading rushers ...where they'll be in spring

Derrick Henry (172-990) ... spring practice

T.J. Yeldon (194-979) ... preparing for NFL draft

Blake Sims (83-350) ... preparing for NFL draft

Tyren Jones (36-224) ... suspended indefinitely

Altee Tenpenny (26-136) ... transferred

Kenyan Drake (22-112) ... spring practice after breaking leg Oct. 4 at Ole Miss

This should also wake up the "We have too many running backs" crowd. Thank goodness we have Flowers and Scarbrough in for the spring, so we can have some bodies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'd like to make one point which hasn't been made. There are dozens of disciplinary actions which never see the light of day and about which we know nothing. They're handled strictly in house. When CNS goes public, he's putting the player on the clock. The chances this is something minor are just about nil...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'd like to make one point which hasn't been made. There are dozens of disciplinary actions which never see the light of day and about which we know nothing. They're handled strictly in house. When CNS goes public, he's putting the player on the clock. The chances this is something minor are just about nil...
Saw some media members allude to this yesterday. One made the comment an early off-season issue usually goes under wraps for as long as possible so UA's decision to go public with it makes it seem worse than the usual minor off season issue.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I'm not the one to nitpick or anything like that.. I understand what everyone is trying to say and I respect their opinon... but I honestly believe that it's not always about where you come from. Anyone can come from a rich family and still have a behavior issues. I know a player from my highschool days... he was the best in the state... had offers from Alabama, Auburn and others.. but dude kept getting in trouble... and he came from well off family, lived in decent area and was popular. People do thinges because they wanted attention or don't know how to do things the right way and needed someone to teach them how. We learn through watching and experiencing things the hard way... That's why we need to not pass judgement so quick and ready to dimiss this person... I think given what we have seen from the players over the yeras that were suspended, I think everyone just jumped and assumed that this person did something real bad.
Um, I was only alluding to the fact that where you're from could have an impact on your behavior. Turns out I was starting to bark up the wrong tree for the individuals listed, as far as neighborhood. But the environment (which has a broad definition) that you grow up in most definitely has a bearing on how many folks act, think, feel, talk, etc. Maybe not all, but many.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I'm not saying this is nothing, because it wouldn't be public if it was nothing, but "suspended indefinitely" in the middle of February is about the least meaningful time in the season to be suspended.

Let's wait until he misses some of spring practice to get too concerned about this one.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I would love to see him back next year and with a serious attitude adjustment. I've seen him in a couple of scrimmages that he made me question why we weren't seeing him ahead of Henry or Drake. He probably wasn't playing because he is a malcontent.

BTW, you can make it back from the doghouse, Drake is now on the team leadership council. Wonder of all wonders.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I'm not the one to nitpick or anything like that.. I understand what everyone is trying to say and I respect their opinon... but I honestly believe that it's not always about where you come from. Anyone can come from a rich family and still have a behavior issues. .
I can't help but think of Manziel on that one.
Personally, I hope the kid (Jones) has an awakening and gets his ship straight.
Don't waste this opportunity, kid. You may very well regret it the rest of your life.

Roll Tide!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.