Tyren Jones Suspended for Conduct Not to the Standard of the Program

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Look, kids in general (whether from a bad home or not) tend to not understand the depth and value of great opportunities in their lives. You see it with rich, middle class and poor. It's a curse of youth. Most kids/young people don't think long term. They think in the here and now. Add that aspect to kids that are treated like royalty because they can do something amazing on the football field and you've got a recipe for some stupid decisions. Coach Saban has said many times that once you get those "great" recruiting classes on campus you have to "un" recruit them so to speak. All the fawning over them is over and the real world is starting to set in. Not everyone can handle it. We've seen a many of them come through T-Town that had great talent that simply could not put the tom foolery of HS behind them. I hope Jones can ultimately do that but as Earle said. Once it becomes public the player is normally on the backend of his "chances".

Youth is wasted on the youth.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Look, kids in general (whether from a bad home or not) tend to not understand the depth and value of great opportunities in their lives. You see it with rich, middle class and poor. It's a curse of youth. Most kids/young people don't think long term. They think in the here and now. Add that aspect to kids that are treated like royalty because they can do something amazing on the football field and you've got a recipe for some stupid decisions. Coach Saban has said many times that once you get those "great" recruiting classes on campus you have to "un" recruit them so to speak. All the fawning over them is over and the real world is starting to set in. Not everyone can handle it. We've seen a many of them come through T-Town that had great talent that simply could not put the tom foolery of HS behind them. I hope Jones can ultimately do that but as Earle said. Once it becomes public the player is normally on the backend of his "chances".

Youth is wasted on the youth.
I think it`s " Youth is wasted on the young", but same/same. Also, no truer words were ever spoken!

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I'd like to make one point which hasn't been made. There are dozens of disciplinary actions which never see the light of day and about which we know nothing. They're handled strictly in house. When CNS goes public, he's putting the player on the clock. The chances this is something minor are just about nil...
Gulp . . Well, dang. Sure hope this is an instance when the player straightens out. Have liked what I saw of TJ on the field recently last season.

Get "off the clock" and onto the field Tyren!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I can't help but think of Manziel on that one.
Personally, I hope the kid (Jones) has an awakening and gets his ship straight.
Don't waste this opportunity, kid. You may very well regret it the rest of your life.

Roll Tide!
In the long run it could be a multi million dollar mistake.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'd bet that this has something to do with class attendance more than anything else.
If he's missing class to the point of getting suspended indefinitely, I'd bet there are some grade problems as well.

You just don't very often see people who cut class, yet study hard when they're not taking notes.

Also, I don't disagree with the possibility / probability of problems making it to class. Just a hunch, but there might also be issues with what he's doing (or not doing) with the newfound free time.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Phooey. I thought Jones was really dynamic with the ball and I was anxious to see what he could do this year. Maybe there were reasons he wasn't getting in the game very often that didn't have to do with football.

Oh well, whatever it is I hope he gets himself straightened out. Too much talent/competition on this team to be giving them openings.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
To be fair, we kinda are being little too hard on him... Correct me if I'm wrong:
-Clinton-Dix, Jarran Reed, Kenyon Drake, Tim Williams, Brandon Ivory, Malcomn Faciane were suspended indefeinitely at one time... and all returned back to the team.

-Drake has been in trouble several times and now he's a role model citizen.
- I understand we've had several players that were suspended and never returned to the team, but ended up transferring to another schools.
- If you look at the link, http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ama-coach-nick-saban-sec-media-days/12784349/
He said this:

- We don't even know what Jones did to get suspended. For all we know, he could've missed classes, his grades isn't where it should be, Got smart with someone on the staff, Got into fight with players, etc... My point is that I don't think we should be so quick to dismiss players like that.... Sometime it takes them a while to grow up mentally and emotionally.
- Also it seems to me that we always have players suspended in the spring and for opener season every year.....
- Also, I don't know if Harris will get lot of opportunities, but don't count Bo Scarbough, Kenyan Drake and others out... I would expect Bo to get lot of look this spring anyway, since he practiced with us this past December.
His quote is interesting. Makes you thing about Mark Richts tactic when he is kicking players off his team.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
You know, really we have dang few of these for the exposure the team gets.

when has CNS ever handled these the wrong way? I had one but but boy was I wrong, the kid turned out great. They either get better or get gone but unlike a lot of places where the cover up begins or others who just don't care & want to make room for the next man up, Coach really cares & is trying to help them I believe.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
You know, really we have dang few of these for the exposure the team gets.

when has CNS ever handled these the wrong way? I had one but but boy was I wrong, the kid turned out great. They either get better or get gone but unlike a lot of places where the cover up begins or others who just don't care & want to make room for the next man up, Coach really cares & is trying to help them I believe.
I commend CNS for genuinely giving these guys a second chance. I think he has a genuine interest in seeing these guys succeed in life that has nothing to do with football. But being a better person and productive citizen.

However, I will not criticize another coach for dismissing a player and sticking by their discipline policy. As much as we criticize other teams and coaches for going light on discipline. I'm definitely not going to get on a coach for sticking by his policies. I know the popular saying is "Everybody deserves a second chance". I don't believe that. Now, I do believe that people ought to extend second chances. But I don't believe they are obligated too. It is an act of grace and mercy. The player is getting something they really don't deserve. That is why I think a player that does get a second chance ought to be overly grateful and immediately correct the error of his ways. Because he didn't deserve to get a second chance. He should have been kicked off the team and someone more deserving given a chance.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I'd like to make one point which hasn't been made. There are dozens of disciplinary actions which never see the light of day and about which we know nothing. They're handled strictly in house. When CNS goes public, he's putting the player on the clock. The chances this is something minor are just about nil...
He had grades issues once; I'm thinking it's probably the same thing again, and he is in danger of maybe even failing. If it were something different (unless extremely major), not sure we would have heard much of anything at all. Like you say, I think this was clearly a warning shot across his bow and if he doesn't heave to and correct the problem he'll never see the field again at Bama. First suspension was pretty mild; this one doesn't seem to be. Maybe because it's just the second time, I don't know - it just seems like the way this has unfolded he is making the same mistake again. But I have no idea and I guess no one outside of the program does either. I hope he makes things right.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In the long run it could be a multi million dollar mistake.
I think I read that most of them are bankrupt within three years of the completion of their NFL careers, anyway. That suggests to me that the money and luxury goods are just unreal to them. Easy come, easy go...

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
I wouldn't say it is "easy come, easy go". There is nothing easy about working for the opportunity for even a brief career in thr NFL. I think it is more ignorance in handling the potential financial rewards that come with it...

It has been my observation that money doesn't change people....or make them jerks....but rather reckless jerks just get enough money to be themselves. Sometimes that means they are separated from their money quickly.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I wouldn't say it is "easy come, easy go". There is nothing easy about working for the opportunity for even a brief career in thr NFL. I think it is more ignorance in handling the potential financial rewards that come with it...

It has been my observation that money doesn't change people....or make them jerks....but rather reckless jerks just get enough money to be themselves. Sometimes that means they are separated from their money quickly.
I recently read a quote from Charles Barkley. Can't remember where, so no link. But it was instructive.

Sir Charles said that money and fame don't change you. They amplify you.

So whatever flaws you had before you got money, you still have afterward. It's just that now you have the means to take them to ridiculous extremes.

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
I guess this is one of the rare occasions that I agree with sir Charles.
He said it well....and he has also done a superb job of amplifying the real Charles Barkley.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Rich people's discretionary money is quite larger than the average joe's. Even after losing $10 MM on gambling Sir Charles is still worth $30 MM.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/nba/charles-barkley-net-worth/
Actually in his most recent interview back in January, Barkley stated his losses to gambling are closer to $30 million. He "took a break" but admits he still "loves" it. He tries to limit his losses on his trips to Vegas to "$200K or less". That $30 million won't last long if he truly does loves gambling. Charles will be 70 years old and doing color commentary on "Celebrity Dodge Ball" on ESPN 3 to pay the bills.

Back to the topic of TJ, I don't think is has much to do with WHAT he did as much as it is the SECOND time in the doghouse. If you have a tendency to show you're becoming a persistent drain on the program as opposed to an asset, then the leash shortens even more. TJ better learn rapidly that there is "a great big world out there beyond your own nose" and stop being about me and start being about "we".

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.