Rule Change Proposal: Ineligible Man Downfield Decreased to One Yard

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Speaking as a former O-Lineman it really shouldn't matter in terms of your blocking assignment and execution. (So long as it was a legal assignment) In reality the proposed 1-yd rule probably will be enforced at about the 3-yd mark anyway because from an officials perspective 1-yd is almost impossible to distinguish from the LOS in live real time action.

I like the proposal.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Speaking as a former O-Lineman it really shouldn't matter in terms of your blocking assignment and execution. (So long as it was a legal assignment) In reality the proposed 1-yd rule probably will be enforced at about the 3-yd mark anyway because from an officials perspective 1-yd is almost impossible to distinguish from the LOS in live real time action.

I like the proposal.
I think it's less about the one yard versus three yards, and more about the detail that even at one yard the OL must be engaged in a block. That part is easy to pick up from a ref. If an OL leaves the LOS to go downfield after and LB like some are being taught now, it will be easy to flag. Let's the LB and S get back to using the run/pass keys they are taught.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Last night, Andy Stabples of SI praised the rule change on Twitter. Of course, some fans made comments about particular coaches just making the rules for the committee (aka Auburn fans blaming Saban). Someone sent him this picture as a great example of the need for the rule. How can a defense defend this?

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Last night, Andy Stabples of SI praised the rule change on Twitter. Of course, some fans made comments about particular coaches just making the rules for the committee (aka Auburn fans blaming Saban). Someone sent him this picture as a great example of the need for the rule. How can a defense defend this?

Wow! The left tackle is 5 yds downfield.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
Something tells me this rule will be enforced differently across the league. Maybe it's just a gut feeling, but the SEC always seems to enforce these types of rules to the nine while other conferences will be slower to adjust.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Something tells me this rule will be enforced differently across the league. Maybe it's just a gut feeling, but the SEC always seems to enforce these types of rules to the nine while other conferences will be slower to adjust.
I wonder if it will keep offensive lineman from blocking each other. [emoji6]

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I hope the rule changes, but I'm dubious.

The al.com article says the Oversight Committee meets March 5. Anybody know if their decision is final, or are there subsequent approvals?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.