Coach questions grad transfer rule

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
" .... We cannot be perceived as a farm system or Triple-A ball club or anything like that."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...cats-says-fcs-programs-cannot-farm-system-fbs

One poster brought up an interesting thought: Should FCS coaches be allowed to move up to FBS, or would that make FCS a farm system for coaches?

Personally I don't see a problem if the guy has already graduated. Heck, he could have sat out his Jr. year and been gone already.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
A major issue here, although mentioned but not emphasized in the article, is that Eastern Washington's opening opponent this fall is guess who--Oregon...kind of like Jake Coker transferring to Wisconsin this summer...maybe the rule should prohibit a player from transferring to a school that is on the player-losing school's schedule for the upcoming season, regardless of FBS/FCS, Conference, etc.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Not a fan of Bowlsby of the Big 12, but he is correct. It has created a "hired gun" effect. I think if you go back and research the fifth year transfer rule, very few have been done by the student athlete for an academic purpose. The student athlete has to transfer into a graduate program at a university not currently offered at his or her present school. Masoli transferred from Oregon to Ole Miss because he had a desire to pursue a graduate degree in Parks and Recreation? No. He had a desire to pursue football and, given his off the field issues at Oregon, this option presented most favorably to him.

But what did the NCAA expect when they created the rule in the first place? Certainly they were not that stupid or naïve.

I know the FCS coaches don't like the idea that they could be the "farm system" for FBS, but hasn't all of college football become the "farm system" for the NFL?

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So a FCS coach is mad a player transferred to Oregon for his fifth season? Does this same FCS coach get mad when a FBS player decides to transfer to Montana State and can immediately play?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Now let's turn this around:

Does this coach think HE is obligated to stay at a school for the ENTIRE FOUR YEARS he recruited a player? Or is HE eligible to move IMMEDIATELY to Oregon if they hire him as head coach?

See, I can play that game, too.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
I think the coach has a point, also doesnt help his first opponent is Oregon. His qb is a starter, I think he should stay put. I think its ok for a backup like Coker to transfer because he was obviously not going to see the field ahead of Winston.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Adams signed a grant-in-aid agreement with Oregon this week, hoping to take advantage of an NCAA rule that allows athletes who have graduated to switch schools and be immediately eligible to play. Most transfers must sit out a season.
This is a great rule for college as it gives student-athletes an opportunity to earn a chance after completing their undergrad to take move on a better situation if they want to. The coach is thinking about how this rule affects his ability to win game, not how it is an incentive for student-athletes to make meaningful progress toward a degree.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is a great rule for college as it gives student-athletes an opportunity to earn a chance after completing their undergrad to take move on a better situation if they want to. The coach is thinking about how this rule affects his ability to win game, not how it is an incentive for student-athletes to make meaningful progress toward a degree.
I agree with you, but the coach's point is that the players rarely use it for that purpose. That rule is generally used for a player to move to a school which presents better football opportunities and has nothing to do with the graduate programs offered.

That said, I am on the side of the kids here. The kid stays long enough to earn his degree, he has fulfilled his contract. He should be able to advance his career in whatever way best suits him, whether that be for a better education under scholarship, or a better football opportunity.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I agree with you, but the coach's point is that the players rarely use it for that purpose. That rule is generally used for a player to move to a school which presents better football opportunities and has nothing to do with the graduate programs offered.

That said, I am on the side of the kids here. The kid stays long enough to earn his degree, he has fulfilled his contract. He should be able to advance his career in whatever way best suits him, whether that be for a better education under scholarship, or a better football opportunity.
I could not agree more.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.