Madison AL cops subdue 57 year old man, partially paralyzing him in the process

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...n-left-indian-man-partially-paralyzed-n305471

NBC Article said:
Alabama police officer was arrested on an assault charge Thursday and could be fired for slamming a 57-year-old Indian man to the ground last week, leaving the grandfather partially paralyzed.

Madison Police Chief Larry Muncey said Officer Eric Parker was not justified when he stopped and then threw 57-year-old Sureshbhai Patel — who had traveled to Madison to visit his son only a week before the incident and speaks no English — on Feb. 6.

"I found that Officer Eric Parker's actions did not meet the high standards and expectations of the Madison City Police Department," Muncey said.
Good for you Larry Muncey.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
A despicable act. Glad the guy was fired. Still gonna cost somebody a few million. What the heck is wrong with some of these policemen?

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I have no love for the madison police department. Imo, they are power hungry, authoratative meat heads..whose sole purpose seems to be to increase revenue. However, be advised...there had been 3 calls in to police about a man pearing into homes and my understanding is that when the leo's arrived on scene, he was looking into a home. There's 3 sides to every story. Dude didn't have to pile drive him though!

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
The poor guy is basically a rag doll, which indicates at least possible neurological trauma and paralysis, and these rocket scientists are flipping him over, forcing him into a seated position and trying to make him stand up. That's the worst thing you can do in a situation like that. All three of the officers should be fired for general stupidity, if nothing else. Parker should do some hard time.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I have no love for the madison police department. Imo, they are power hungry, authoratative meat heads..whose sole purpose seems to be to increase revenue. However, be advised...there had been 3 calls in to police about a man pearing into homes and my understanding is that when the leo's arrived on scene, he was looking into a home. There's 3 sides to every story. Dude didn't have to pile drive him though!
Yeah apparently he went for a walk, and he had been looking in garages etc. When I first heard about this yesterday the only thing I could think was that in india there really isn't much potential for privacy in most places. Having worked with people from Asia (China and India mostly) I have found they have a far different position regarding what is personal space and acceptable from a common American standpoint of privacy (NO GET OUT OF MY PRIVACY BUBBLE! 3 FEET MISTER!). No idea if that is what caused him to think looking in windows was ok.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
The poor guy is basically a rag doll, which indicates at least possible neurological trauma and paralysis, and these rocket scientists are flipping him over, forcing him into a seated position and trying to make him stand up. That's the worst thing you can do in a situation like that. All three of the officers should be fired for general stupidity, if nothing else. Parker should do some hard time.
The jaywalking scene from Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle comes to mind. They must have had the Madison PD in mind.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Yeah apparently he went for a walk, and he had been looking in garages etc. When I first heard about this yesterday the only thing I could think was that in india there really isn't much potential for privacy in most places. Having worked with people from Asia (China and India mostly) I have found they have a far different position regarding what is personal space and acceptable from a common American standpoint of privacy (NO GET OUT OF MY PRIVACY BUBBLE! 3 FEET MISTER!). No idea if that is what caused him to think looking in windows was ok.
Having lived in Asia for a short while, I can second that notion. No concept of personal space in some regions. I can't speak to India though.

Here's a different dashboard cam showing the entire encounter. At least at the time that the first patrol car arrives, there is absolutely no indication that the guy was looking in any windows - he's simply walking down the sidewalk. He doesn't follow instructions and repeatedly tries to walk away, but of course, he doesn't understand English.

[video]http://videos.al.com/al/2015/02/entire_video_of_alabama_police.html[/video]

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Having lived in Asia for a short while, I can second that notion. No concept of personal space in some regions. I can't speak to India though.

Here's a different dashboard cam showing the entire encounter. At least at the time that the first patrol car arrives, there is absolutely no indication that the guy was looking in any windows - he's simply walking down the sidewalk. He doesn't follow instructions and repeatedly tries to walk away, but of course, he doesn't understand English.

[video]http://videos.al.com/al/2015/02/entire_video_of_alabama_police.html[/video]
one of my biggest peaves when travelling internationally is landing at the same time as a plane from India or Asia and having to go through customs que with them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.