Gary Patterson Wants All Conference Championship Games Eliminated

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Big surprise!!!

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...cu-playoff-model-conference-championship-game

"I think you would probably make more money on the playoff games in December than you would with the conference championship games," Patterson said. "Other than the SEC, there were a lot of empty seats that I saw at those conference championship games. The teams playing on New Year's would have basically the same amount of time to get ready, and you wouldn't take away from everybody's recruiting or interfere with final exams.'

I will say it ONE LAST TIME.....Gary, if you guys hadn't blown a big lead against Baylor, YOU (and not Ohio State) would have been in the playoff. Win and you're in.

Roll Tide

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
With a 4 team playoff I don't see this happening. I could however see it happening if an 8 team playoff ever happens...

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
The committee is placing a premium on conference champions and are very reliant on the championship games to help prevent 2 teams from the same conference from being in the top 4.

I don't really like the championship games either, but the Big12 needs to move on.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
No one should take this as Patterson' whining about being left out of the playoff. He never did that. Art Briles was the one that turned into a newborn.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Yeah, Gary, the other four Power Five conferences will kibbosh their championship games in return for your handing over the mint that makes Confederate money so they can use it instead of a championship game to continue filling their athletic coffers...

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think I would prefer 8, 10 team conferences that play each other over the course of the season. Conference champions go to the playoffs. No whining, no beauty pageant, no politics.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think I would prefer 8, 10 team conferences that play each other over the course of the season. Conference champions go to the playoffs. No whining, no beauty pageant, no politics.
I said this several months ago and was blasted by nearly everyone. Every conference in the FBS does not deserve to be a participant, for example the MWC, Sun Belt, the new AAC, MAC. ND, Army and BYU would have to join a conference or not be included in the NC game.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
"Other than the SEC, there were a lot of empty seats that I saw at those conference championship games."
He expects us to be sympathetic to that problem?

Crimea River. (Apologies to PDQ Bach.)

I guess it is also our fault a lot of teams can not sell out their allotment of tickets for the bowl games they play in. So, let's start by getting rid of a lot of them, instead.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
No one should take this as Patterson' whining about being left out of the playoff. He never did that. Art Briles was the one that turned into a newborn.
Agree 100%... Pattersn was interviewed on several local DFW stations and not once did he complain about the 4 teams who got in the playoff. He was very consistent with had they beat Baylor, they would have been in the playoff. Said he knew Saturday night OSU was going to get in and told his team win every game next year....Briles on the other hand cried enough to end the Texas drought...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.