Gary Patterson Wants All Conference Championship Games Eliminated

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Agree 100%... Pattersn was interviewed on several local DFW stations and not once did he complain about the 4 teams who got in the playoff. He was very consistent with had they beat Baylor, they would have been in the playoff. Said he knew Saturday night OSU was going to get in and told his team win every game next year....Briles on the other hand cried enough to end the Texas drought...
I remember Patterson being interviewed on ESPN shortly after the 4 teams were named and he pretty much said what was said above.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
A four team playoff with two play-in games? Not a bad suggestion, and one that was considered along with everything else right from the start. The problem is that you CAN'T come up with a system that can address every single issue, and once you start "tweaking" the system, where do you stop? Remember the early BCS rankings, when they changed them every year to address last season's issues, and ended up creating new issues every season? There's a difference between one quirky season and an inherent problem with the system, but if you keep changing the system, you'll never find out what the real problems are. This system isn't perfect, but we need to stay with it for long enough to find out how it really works.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
A four team playoff with two play-in games? Not a bad suggestion, and one that was considered along with everything else right from the start. The problem is that you CAN'T come up with a system that can address every single issue, and once you start "tweaking" the system, where do you stop? Remember the early BCS rankings, when they changed them every year to address last season's issues, and ended up creating new issues every season? There's a difference between one quirky season and an inherent problem with the system, but if you keep changing the system, you'll never find out what the real problems are. This system isn't perfect, but we need to stay with it for long enough to find out how it really works.
Just like a good science experiment, you can only change one variable at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Just like a good science experiment, you can only change one variable at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would like to change about 13 of them right now but that will never happen as long as they keep the drama and ratings up.

Bob Minton

1st Team
Dec 4, 2011
I agree, I saw a couple interviews with him after the season. I was very impressed that he really didn't whine. Now, I'm sure he's politicking because right now he doesn't have a level playing field, but that's the Big 12's fault. Interesting thought about championship games. I always have dread the SEC one because Bama is usually in a position to lose more than they are to gain but that's a small sample size.

No one should take this as Patterson' whining about being left out of the playoff. He never did that. Art Briles was the one that turned into a newborn.

NCTide

Scout Team
Nov 30, 2014
What else is he gonna say? He's gotta protect his team's interests, and he can't force the league into a Conference Championship Game. Any coach would say the same.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I know this has been said before and would not be a popular option, but having conference champions only does clearly define and makes the selection process simple. You can make a strong case (with possibly the exception of 2011) that if you are not good enough to win your own conference championship you are not good enough to be included in the playoff system. A 12 game season is retained and only two teams play 15 games. The bowls can still be used to host the playoffs. The selection committee could be done away with and the rankings could be done with some BCS type model to seed the conference champions 1-8. To me the big benefit is that it defines inclusion without the element of any human bias.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
It makes no sense for the rest of college football to make changes to accommodate one conference. The only thing that does make sense is for the one conference to make the changes needed to get in line with everyone else.

jef0071

Suspended
Dec 19, 2005
Hewitt, Texas, United States
briles had every reason to be ....ed, and he was more ....ed at the big 12 commissioner than he was anyone else...the big 12 screwed baylor....neither baylor nor tcu had a right to be in that playoff

No one should take this as Patterson' whining about being left out of the playoff. He never did that. Art Briles was the one that turned into a newborn.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
It makes no sense for the rest of college football to make changes to accommodate one conference. The only thing that does make sense is for the one conference to make the changes needed to get in line with everyone else.
This. If we really want to get to a 8-team playoff (or more), the conference championship game is the first elimination.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
briles had every reason to be ....ed, and he was more ....ed at the big 12 commissioner than he was anyone else...the big 12 screwed baylor....neither baylor nor tcu had a right to be in that playoff
So Art Briles had "every reason" to be mad even though neither team had a right to be in the playoff? Please explain.

HSV_1969

Scout Team
Feb 28, 2011
I think I would prefer 8, 10 team conferences that play each other over the course of the season. Conference champions go to the playoffs. No whining, no beauty pageant, no politics.
This sounds great, but it certainly won't guarantee the best 8 teams. Think back to the 2011 season. LSU and Bama are ranked 1 & 2, yet come from the same conference. In the scenario you propose of "8 conferences, and only the champs get in an 8 team playoff"; a scenario is almost certainly going to happen where one or two of the 8 conferences aren't particularly competitive. So going back to 2011 model, likely a 2 or 3 loss champion from one or two of the conferences (maybe ranked around 18-20 in the polls) is going to get in over the consensus #2 team in the country. I get the simplicity, but I don't like the format.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.