No Big Bang? Quantum equation predicts universe has no beginning.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
http://phys.org/news/2015-02-big-quantum-equation-universe.html

Not sure whether to contemplate, laugh, or just shrug. I remember having a conversation a little while back with a physicist about the location of the supposed singularity and the origination of the original mass. I was showing him an article where another physicist was trying to explain that every point is the center because everything is expanding away from everything else (I never could understand the force vectors involved in that line of thinking). This will throw him for a loop.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Bohmian trajectories, gravitons, quantum fluid, dark energy, big bang, geodesics, quantum gravity, singularity

These equations could also be used to describe what happens when you're on the can.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Bohmian trajectories, gravitons, quantum fluid, dark energy, big bang, geodesics, quantum gravity, singularity

These equations could also be used to describe what happens when you're on the can.
Is that how the balloon we are all sitting on got full of gas?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
http://phys.org/news/2015-02-big-quantum-equation-universe.html

Not sure whether to contemplate, laugh, or just shrug. I remember having a conversation a little while back with a physicist about the location of the supposed singularity and the origination of the original mass. I was showing him an article where another physicist was trying to explain that every point is the center because everything is expanding away from everything else (I never could understand the force vectors involved in that line of thinking). This will throw him for a loop.
see this is exactly what is fantastic about science. After models are built, tests are done, things are debated we will throw out the old antiquated theory and move on to a much better one or we'll find out that the new theory is inadequate and the old still provides us with the best possible answer, or we'll postulate a new theory even better than the prvious.

what we don't do is just say "it's magic"

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
see this is exactly what is fantastic about science. After models are built, tests are done, things are debated we will throw out the old antiquated theory and move on to a much better one or we'll find out that the new theory is inadequate and the old still provides us with the best possible answer, or we'll postulate a new theory even better than the prvious.

what we don't do is just say "it's magic"
I don't disagree. If there is a problem for me it is when theories start being presented as fact.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't disagree. If there is a problem for me it is when theories start being presented as fact.

Yep. Up until this little discovery or change in theory you'd have "science" people argue you down if you suggested there was no big bang. The arrogance of Bill Nye comes to mind. But what you don't see is when the theories change, these dbags stepping forward and admitting how wrong they were. All they do is take the new theory and argue it as fact like the old theory that was just proven wrong. What do you call that?

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
If there is anything that blows my mind, it is either the size of the universe, or thinking about the origin of the universe. Maybe y'all are smarter than me but if I dwell on either question for too long, my jaw just begins to drop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Yep. Up until this little discovery or change in theory you'd have "science" people argue you down if you suggested there was no big bang. The arrogance of Bill Nye comes to mind. But what you don't see is when the theories change, these dbags stepping forward and admitting how wrong they were. All they do is take the new theory and argue it as fact like the old theory that was just proven wrong. What do you call that?

​Climate change?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
If there is anything that blows my mind, it is either the size of the universe, or thinking about the origin of the universe. Maybe y'all are smarter than me but if I dwell on either question for too long, my jaw just begins to drop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
I've asked the question before, ''How deep is 'space'?'', but have yet to receive an answer. But of course no one has ever been to ''the end'' of space so how could we ever answer it?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Is this a case where "theory" was really a uh, theory. Not like the "You really don't understand what theory means in the science field" lingo that comes from folks when the unclean say "That's why they call it a theory because it can't be proven as fact." Or is this a different kind of "theory" in the science field?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Is this a case where "theory" was really a uh, theory. Not like the "You really don't understand what theory means in the science field" lingo that comes from folks when the unclean say "That's why they call it a theory because it can't be proven as fact." Or is this a different kind of "theory" in the science field?
this is the scientific method working

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.