Game Thread: ****Official Game Thread - Bama vs. Vandy****

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Glad I decided to clean the snow off the cars and shovel my wife's parking spot. [emoji104][emoji104][emoji102][emoji102]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I was convinced that Taylor and Hale should have been on the court around the 5:00 minute mark or later in the game and Vandy took the lead by 6 points around 3:00. Bama needed some size and rebounds; Norris rebounds well but didn't have the size to play the 4 against Vandy.

The game just fell apart the last 5 minutes. Bama missed free throws in the 2nd half including the front end of a one and one as usual.

This game really showed how Bama cannot make any points when the ball gets inside. I have not seen so many times when a player got the ball deep around the basket and the team came up empty. Too many times the players would not take a shot and pass it back out only to see a bad shot taken later but then if they did take the shot it would be a 2 to 3 foot miss or block. Totally frustrating.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
The tale of the tape was Vandy was playing mostly freshman and they look far more prepared and played much better than we did. Meanwhile, we've got sophomores (Hale, Taylor) who have made very little improvement (if not regressed) since they've come on campus. We've got a couple bright spots (Norris, Coleman), but how are any of us to believe they will improve over their careers. We don't have any big-man presence and Grant hasn't recruited a legitimate big since he's been at 'Bama. Last bona fide inside presence was Jaymychal Green, who left years ago and he was a Gottfried guy. Meanwhile, some of our top talents (T. Lacy and Tony Mitchell) left school. The program isn't anywhere where it needs to be with a coach that is making 2-plus million dollars a year. In finishing his sixth season, Grant has led us to exactly one NCAA Tournament game and hasn't been a great conference coach, either. We haven't won any big-time games in recent memory. When is the last time we beat a good team?

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I can't remember when I have been less encouraged by the state of basketball at Alabama. My wife basically cajoled me into going and I haven't missed a home game just because I didn't want to go in 20 years. Anyone who knows me knows I don't miss games unless I have a serious conflict.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
It is the most frustrating thing in the world watching us pass the ball around about half court and not attack the basket.

BigA

Scout Team
Dec 21, 2013
Trussville, Al
The ref's didn't cost us this game. We lost this game because we have no inside game.
This will sound exaggerated, but we may have the worst inside game in the SEC.
This observation is spot on. We lost due to having no inside game. In Grants 6 years we have only had one team capable of pounding the ball inside (JaMychl Green/Mitchell). Our long list of capable inside players that did not materialize (Jacobs, Engstrom, Gueye, Taylor, Kessens). Until we make a commitment to working the ball inside. We will struggle. Bringing the ball down court, passing the ball around the top of the key, then settling for a 3 ph shot will not consistently win in colege BB.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
It is the most frustrating thing in the world watching us pass the ball around about half court and not attack the basket.
This is not the same team that took Wichita to the wire. We look like a completely different team from then till now. It's long past time to make a move. I've heard rumblings, but nothing firm.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The tale of the tape was Vandy was playing mostly freshman and they look far more prepared and played much better than we did. Meanwhile, we've got sophomores (Hale, Taylor) who have made very little improvement (if not regressed) since they've come on campus. We've got a couple bright spots (Norris, Coleman), but how are any of us to believe they will improve over their careers. We don't have any big-man presence and Grant hasn't recruited a legitimate big since he's been at 'Bama. Last bona fide inside presence was Jaymychal Green, who left years ago and he was a Gottfried guy. Meanwhile, some of our top talents (T. Lacy and Tony Mitchell) left school. The program isn't anywhere where it needs to be with a coach that is making 2-plus million dollars a year. In finishing his sixth season, Grant has led us to exactly one NCAA Tournament game and hasn't been a great conference coach, either. We haven't won any big-time games in recent memory. When is the last time we beat a good team?
I can't think of one player who was a decidedly better player his last year in Grant's system. Seems like everyone improves slightly, stays the same, or regresses. I haven't seen any major improvement from players since Grant has been here..

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
There s way too much political correctness on this board. It seems one cannot speak the simple truth about this program and not get their post deleted. Even when they do not single any one person individually. Why so touchy. Maybe I need to review the rules here.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
The "truth" about the program has been related and posted many times. Comment on the game. If you want to comment on rules you need to PM me and we can discuss.

There s way too much political correctness on this board. It seems one cannot speak the simple truth about this program and not get their post deleted. Even when they do not single any one person individually. Why so touchy. Maybe I need to review the rules here.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
From my experience it's not really what you say but how you say it. JMO..

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
If the powers that be can't see that we've got a coach who is just biding his time, knowing that when he gets fired it will be his biggest payday, then they need to go themselves. Tonight was the most embarrassing game so far this year to watch as an Alabama fan. It apparently doesn't bother our coach to lose, and it rolls downhill to his players. As i said in a post last week, i'd be fine with disbanding the entire mens basketball program if we don't have the cajones to do the right thing to get it back on track. I doubt we can entice a high profile coach, but we should be able to lure someone with a proven track record to our program. Does AD BB just not have the energy, or not want to do the right thing?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.