Interesting passage from The Last Coach by Allen Bara

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I've been reading The Last Coach by Allen Bara and a passage near the end jumped out at me.

The book was published in 2005 and near the end, Bara discusses Bryant's death and the numerous coaches that were tapped to replace him. When Shula was hired, Finebaum made the comment (referring the the largely lackluster performance of the Tide) "It's a biblical thing. Twenty-five years of glory followed by twenty-five years of plagues." Bara follows up with this sentence, "If the plague era began with Bryant's death, then a new golden age should be dawning for the Crimson Tide around 2007."

Turns out he was right!

And yes, I know Stallings won a title and had several great teams. I'm not discounting what he did. Just thought that nugget was interesting, since it's basically come true.

Any way, the book itself is pretty good. If you haven't figured it out yet, it's about Bryan't life.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I've been reading The Last Coach by Allen Bara and a passage near the end jumped out at me.

The book was published in 2005 and near the end, Bara discusses Bryant's death and the numerous coaches that were tapped to replace him. When Shula was hired, Finebaum made the comment (referring the the largely lackluster performance of the Tide) "It's a biblical thing. Twenty-five years of glory followed by twenty-five years of plagues." Bara follows up with this sentence, "If the plague era began with Bryant's death, then a new golden age should be dawning for the Crimson Tide around 2007."

Turns out he was right!

And yes, I know Stallings won a title and had several great teams. I'm not discounting what he did. Just thought that nugget was interesting, since it's basically come true.

Any way, the book itself is pretty good. If you haven't figured it out yet, it's about Bryan't life.
With the very notable exception of Coach Stalling`s tenure, by Alabama standards, the period from Coach Bryant to Coach Saban would be considered "wandering in the wilderness". I feel so fortunate to have been able to fully appreciate all three "golden eras" of Alabama football in what would be considered the modern era.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I truly believe that Coach Saban is going to leave Alabama in such good shape that we're not going to need another "Bryant" or "Saban" to continue the dominance. Now granted, I'm not saying we can hire another Shula or Dubose either. But I believe a "solid" hire will keep us rolling.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
Coach Bryant admitted that he'd allowed the program to slip at the end. I don't think Coach Saban will go out like that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.