A Couple Huge Deficiencies Many May Be Overlooking

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
How quickly we forget how bad things were here under CMG. A few numbers to refresh our memories:

At Bama
True road games: 28-77
SEC road games: 20-62
SEC regular reason: 83-82
SEC tournament: 7-10
All SEC games: 90-92
All games: 210-131 (0.616 winning %)

AT NC State his overall record is: 85-49 (0.634 winning %) - a marginal improvement

CMG feasted on Mid-major and below teams while here. I'm not saying keep CAG, but please don't bring back CMG. He could recruit well, but any time the game was an X's and O's contest between coaches, he lost. And there's no need to mention his off court... stuff.
Not to mention some of those tournament appearances for CMG came with records Anthony Grant has had while at Bama and only ended up in the NIT.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
This is probably immaterial since CMG isn't on our radar as a replacement. Just shows that we need to spend some $$$$ to get a good coach.

How quickly we forget how bad things were here under CMG. A few numbers to refresh our memories:

At Bama
True road games: 28-77
SEC road games: 20-62
SEC regular reason: 83-82
SEC tournament: 7-10
All SEC games: 90-92
All games: 210-131 (0.616 winning %)

AT NC State his overall record is: 85-49 (0.634 winning %) - a marginal improvement

CMG feasted on Mid-major and below teams while here. I'm not saying keep CAG, but please don't bring back CMG. He could recruit well, but any time the game was an X's and O's contest between coaches, he lost. And there's no need to mention his off court... stuff.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
xCMG is NOT the answer. He had his shot and blew it. Something tells me he has already peaked at NCSU.

Does anyone know if Brad Stevens is ready to get back to college coaching?
If Stevens returns it will be to go to Indiana. A large faction of IU boosters are all in to dump Crean and replace him with Stevens.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Teams tend to take on the personality of the coach. In fact, some of them may have been recruited because of personality affinity.
This is one of the pervading themes I've feared for quite some time before I finally abandoned hope. Players that had bigger personalities than Grant early on were subdued, and he preferred to have an entire team cut directly from his cloth, in my opinion. However - a team, like any other organization - needs a good dynamic of leader/follower, inspirer/responder, etc. It's almost as if Grant was intimidated to have anyone on his team that may have had stronger leaderships skills than he, and the whole has suffered for it for multiple years now.

That's why it's so important to go back beyond the strategy that most fans are jumping to to where the fundamentals lie. These are still kids who want to have fun while playing and must be motivated that way. In short, I believe the entire team could use an "anti-depressant" at this point. Winning would cure a lot, but we lack the essentials to get there. So close as to always seemingly lead Florida with less than 10 minutes left, but so far away as to be psychologically trained to never come out on top.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
I would like to find someone with a personality.....

Heck, I'd hire Dawn Staley.....look what she's done with USCe Chick Basketball....nothing short of amazing.
Getting into women's basketball is a whole other soap box, but I faintly remember regularly battling Georgia for the number 2 spot in the league, at least worrying Coach Summit more than anyone else, making Sweet 16s regularly and the Final 4 run.
I'm unsure how close we got to hiring Staley a couple coaches ago (in the cycle I believe that resulted in the basic promotion of Hudson), but I knew we truly missed the boat if we were ever close.
If you're pondering such a move to the men's team, I'd still say you could do much worse.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
That Q might get you a barn avatar.....

That said, CMG is doing a decent job in the best conference in America.. If he got his personal crap together I'd take him back.... He is on track to get his team in the big dance for the 4th straight season.... When he arrived they had missed the dance the previous 5 seasons.

I'd be delighted with a coach that got us into the dance 4 of 5 years and made it to the sweet 16 once or twice in that period.
This is what I've said ever since the early Gottfried days. Based on our once rich history and the emergence of a program like Florida who was considerably less historically successful than Bama before Donavan, there's no reason to be okay with accept less than this.
Three "Sweet 16 or beyond" seasons per decade and almost regular participation in the tourney is rationale and should be attainable. Florida blew up the notion (and good for them for doing it) that a school could only be a "football school". We've done it to a lesser extent in other (particularly women's) programs. It's basketball's turn.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Beware the ides of no March Madness again, but Grant also might want to beware the ides of February - it was humiliating losses to the Cow College on this date that ended the careers of his two immediate predecessors as 'Bama's basketball coach. Just sayin' (if not prayin')...

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
If Stevens returns it will be to go to Indiana. A large faction of IU boosters are all in to dump Crean and replace him with Stevens.
Looking at IU's current record and upcoming schedule it would appear to me they are looking at around 21-22 wins overall, 11-12 conference wins and a probably NCAA tourney bid. Not sure you can fire Crean after a season like that which was a rebuilding year. I agree that Crean is not what IU needs but he probably is a good enough coach that will win enough games each year that they will have trouble firing him.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Since when have Universities had a problem "firing" winning coaches? It's happened before.

Looking at IU's current record and upcoming schedule it would appear to me they are looking at around 21-22 wins overall, 11-12 conference wins and a probably NCAA tourney bid. Not sure you can fire Crean after a season like that which was a rebuilding year. I agree that Crean is not what IU needs but he probably is a good enough coach that will win enough games each year that they will have trouble firing him.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I have to tell you that Sean loves Tucson and Tucson Loves Sean! Even more than Rich Rod!

Sean Miller…throw enough cash to make it happen.

Won't happen, but he would be my guy if I had Bill Battle's checkbook.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Talent in the Southeast is not what is once was- especially during the time frame you mentioned. Wimp had a steady pipeline from Birmingham during those days. It is virtually non existent now. High school roundball in this state is simply not very good- no where near where it was 25-30 years ago.
Not even close

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Alasippi- I had this conversation with a guy at the State High school finals in Birmingham last year. Watched Mountain Brook win the 6A title with a bunch of white guys none of which were going to pay D1 ball anywhere. He was younger than me and disagreed with my assessment of the talent level. I just had to laugh.
Not even close

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.