UA athletic Dept Posts $33m Profit

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Their 80+ mil new(er) arena is probably a good chunk of that. An arena less than 5 yrs old that seats less than the one they opened a few years before our Memorial Coliseum. Go figure.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
They broke down Alabama's revenue and expenses by category. Not so with Auburn's. I really wonder why? They did kind of list expenses in the text of an article but nowhere was there detailed info (ex-coaches salaries) like there was for UA. They DID list $1.1 Million as an "other" expense (slush fund?). C'mon now, AL.com; all Auburn wants is equal treatment. Let's see a spreadsheet. Pat Dye and Wayne Hall, Tiny Tot still on the payroll? You can tell us;)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Amazing. Does anyone know or recall what the profit was the year before. I would be interested in the % of year over year..

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
According to the documents obtained by AL.com, Alabama's athletics department generated 33,050,145 more than it spent in 2013-13. That's up from the $27.2 million surplus in 2012-13 and continued the trend of surpluses in recent years. It hasn't operated at a loss in the last 10 years, according to documents obtained through public records requests.

The athletics department transferred $9.1 million back to the university last year after contributing $5.9 million a year earlier.
I'll let you do the math.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
So basically Bama could have charged zero for tickets to all seven home games and still broke even. Bama is in incredibly great shape financially.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Beating the Barn in football and finances.
Auburn insists in trying to match Alabama in football, even if the revenue doesn't justify it. It's another reason the rivalry is unhealthy, that money has to come from somewhere else and I'm sure a fair bit of it ends up coming from the pockets of taxpayers.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
It kind of reminds me of the arms race between the USA and Russia. We broke their bank by out spending them on arms.
The barn will do anything to keep up with Bama but they never will.Maybe we should offer them a title loan at about 100% interest.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
It kind of reminds me of the arms race between the USA and Russia. We broke their bank by out spending them on arms.
The barn will do anything to keep up with Bama but they never will.Maybe we should offer them a title loan at about 100% interest.
Title loan? Oh, I can't pass this up. The first title was tainted with probation. The second title was tainted with buying Cam. I don't think Title Max will touch it :biggrin:

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I remember when CNS was hired there were some who criticized the amount of his contract. The hiring of CNS has proven to be a great investment. I wonder how much of the Barn's deficit is hush money. I just hope they aren't paying for Gus' gum and his wife's hairspray.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
They should take this profit and share the wealth with TP members when it comes time to pay for the season tickets by May [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Coach Saban deserves all the credit in the world, but the person who really deserves credit is Coach Mal Moore. He may go down as the best athletic director in school history. What a legacy!

Bama in Quebec

1st Team
Aug 10, 2013
Quebec city
These numbers are just sick to me ! I'm the director of finance for the Laval University sports center and the varsity teams in Quebec city, Canada. Laval University has by far the biggest football program in Canada. We have the best facilities and the biggest crowd. Believe me guys, we're making profit but we're so far away from you in term of revenues and profit. It's an other world to me !!! The average of operating budget in Canada for a college football team is about 1,5 millions. At Laval University, we're at 3 millions. The other canadian universities with a football program look at us and say : the operating budget at Laval University is so huge. That's why they win so many championships !!! Next time, I'm going to tell them to look at your figures !!!

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
Coach Saban deserves all the credit in the world, but the person who really deserves credit is Coach Mal Moore. He may go down as the best athletic director in school history. What a legacy!
I think a lot of the credit should go to the student athletes at the University.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.