Auburn Football Players Accused of Harassing Veteran and Service Dog

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
beat me to it. i was going to say mulva.

just for clarity, the player made some lame excuse and a dude called him out on it using the forbidden word
There used to be a TV show called "Men of a Certain Age." If your references are quotes from Seinfeld, Pulp Fiction, Tombstone, etc, then we're both a a certain, particular age.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
There used to be a TV show called "Men of a Certain Age." If your references are quotes from Seinfeld, Pulp Fiction, Tombstone, etc, then we're both a a certain, particular age.
yes, that particular age is staring me in the face every morning when i look in the mirror ;)

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Barners are saying that the players just wanted to pet her dog and she went off on them and made all this up.
Yeah, well, you don't pet service dogs either. I'm sure we've all seen a seeing eye dog that has a big fat sign on it that says, "I am a service dog. Please do not pet me."

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I was surprised to see she suffered PTSD as a result of sexual assault she experienced. I had always been under the impression PTSD was a combat related condition, but evidently I was wrong about that.
What it is is in the name. Traumatic stress... it is relatively common among combat veterans due to the fact that war is an extremely stressful environment, but for instance whether or not you were sexually assaulted as a direct result of military service or not would have no bearing on whether whether or not you got PTSD. Next to warfare, sexual assault is one of the main causes of PTSD.

War changes people in the same way that rape does. My brother honestly doesn't act quite the same after he came back from Afghanistan, I know he killed a bunch of people, I'm not sure how it could not change you to be honest. Same goes for rape, but of course PTSD is a specific response to that sort of trauma.

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
What it is is in the name. Traumatic stress... it is relatively common among combat veterans due to the fact that war is an extremely stressful environment, but for instance whether or not you were sexually assaulted as a direct result of military service or not would have no bearing on whether whether or not you got PTSD. Next to warfare, sexual assault is one of the main causes of PTSD.

War changes people in the same way that rape does. My brother honestly doesn't act quite the same after he came back from Afghanistan, I know he killed a bunch of people, I'm not sure how it could not change you to be honest. Same goes for rape, but of course PTSD is a specific response to that sort of trauma.
I listened to a podcast this morning about how the military prepares you to kill. They don't prepare you for what to do about it. This is an interview with an author who wrote a book on the topic. I found it pretty interesting: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/02/08/podcast-100-the-kill-switch-with-phil-zabriskie/

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Barners are saying that the players just wanted to pet her dog and she went off on them and made all this up.
I'm surprised they didn't skip straight to the "She's a cleat-chaser who was mad because they wouldn't call her back after she slept with them" defense.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Even if it falls further to the side of the Auburn players the right response is to apologize and insist no harm was meant and you have only respect for veterans. Humility goes a long way in repairing a rift.
Yeah, it is hard for someone who's never gone through PTSD to understand how it impacts people. I'll never forget being in a check out line behind a woman who out of the blue turned around and told me "You're standing too close to me step back NOW!". I was caught so off guard my natural reaction was to get defensive. Long story short she had just been raped in a parking lot across town several months ago. Manager was called over. Quite embarrassing for me. I guess it was for her as well but she didn't look at all embarrassed. She looked like she was saving the world from another sexual predator. I was very, very angry. But what do you do? Her circumstances caused her to be that way.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Yeah, it is hard for someone who's never gone through PTSD to understand how it impacts people. I'll never forget being in a check out line behind a woman who out of the blue turned around and told me "You're standing too close to me step back NOW!". I was caught so off guard my natural reaction was to get defensive. Long story short she had just been raped in a parking lot across town several months ago. Manager was called over. Quite embarrassing for me. I guess it was for her as well but she didn't look at all embarrassed. She looked like she was saving the world from another sexual predator. I was very, very angry. But what do you do? Her circumstances caused her to be that way.
When people have disabilities or problems such as this, we should all try to make reasonable accommodations for them. That doesn't mean ALL accommodations. That lady was acting crazy.

The Auburn girl may have been as well. We will never know.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
By the time all is said and done, the two Auburn players will be commended for saving the dog from inhumane treatment by its owner.

I may have been glib above but PTSD can be a severe, debilitating disease and those morons were interfering with a service dog doing its job. Don't you lot dare minimize the impact of PTSD on an individual. It is serious, it is debilitating, and can be life threatening. If you don't think so, just ask yourself why do so many current and former service members commit suicide when they come back Stateside?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.