Auburn Football Players Accused of Harassing Veteran and Service Dog

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
My wife had PTSD after her wreck four years ago. Flipping five or so times in a Tahoe that was doing 65+ mph will do that to you.
Man, that had to be terrible. Just your description is stressing. If you are ever in a really bad wreck you will never forget it. I'm sorry, I hope she is ok now.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I am some what surprised that no third party has come out to corroborate the veterans side of the story. We can say its a big cover up but in this day and age of social media it is really hard to cover up incidents in a public setting. What I would hate to see is two young men who are probably animal lovers see a dog, and do what I have seen hundreds of people do, try to be friendly with it. Now most dog owners know you should always ask for permission first before petting someone's dog. If you walk through any park in America you will see people break dog etiquette rules all day long. Seeing two large muscular African American males walking up may have given her some anxiety by it's self. My mom did 27 years in the Army(God rest her soul) so I know it can be tough on females in the military especially raising kids. My dad was also in so I have been around the military my entire life. My 2 brothers and my sister currently serve. I can tell you from experience that just like in the real world you have "all types" in the military you also have "all types". I choose until I hear more information to not crucify these young men even if they are from that cow college. Now if it turns out that they did what she says I will be at the front of the mob screaming for them to be severely punished.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Exactly. But I am surprised at how many people don't know that you aren't supposed to touch service dogs.
Depending on where one lives, it isn't very common to see service dogs. I know I may see one in my area one time per year if that. I'm not sure if it's required or just a courtesy. But isn't the dog supposed to have a "jacket" on that specifies it is a service dog? I believe on the jacket I've seen "Do not pet". If it's not a law or some regulation or something then the owners of the dogs should do it to keep from any confusion happening.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Depending on where one lives, it isn't very common to see service dogs. I know I may see one in my area one time per year if that. I'm not sure if it's required or just a courtesy. But isn't the dog supposed to have a "jacket" on that specifies it is a service dog? I believe on the jacket I've seen "Do not pet". If it's not a law or some regulation or something then the owners of the dogs should do it to keep from any confusion happening.
Now that's interesting. I see many in the course of a year. They are always in the standard harness, not just a leash. I would have thought that the harness would have screamed "service dog," but maybe not...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Now that's interesting. I see many in the course of a year. They are always in the standard harness, not just a leash. I would have thought that the harness would have screamed "service dog," but maybe not...
I can't tell you the last time I've seen someone with one. Not saying they're not in my area but I haven't personally seen many of them. The last time I saw one was in Barnes & Nobles and the dog was in its harness and had his "vest"/"jacket" on him that specified "service dog". That's been at least a year ago maybe even two years ago.

I'm a bit surprised there wasn't more third party accounts of this specific occurrence.

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Some of them go by a different name. (Time for a little education - and humor [and in no way impugning anyone who requires a service dog, or the gallant service dogs themselves]:
Link: "How to Take Your Pet Everywhere")

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
ITAT is the worst website on the planet. Do they even have moderators? A lifetime ban should be issued for most the stuff they are saying about this young woman. I wasn't there and don't know what happened. I agree with a previous poster that the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but the posters over there are just blaming the veteran, and even saying she's not a real veteran. I find new reasons to despise Auburn every day.

I have always tried to look at any situation involving one or more of the Tide's players with balance. We can't let the fact that we are fans blind us to the truth that some of the guys that role through a college program or a professional franchise are terrible human beings. I was glad CNS kicked all of the guys off the team that were involved with assaulting that student several years ago, and I'm not pumped about the signing of Jonathan Taylor. I hope it doesn't come back to bite the team later.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
In Lee county a service dog is one that retrieves a dead possum off the road and a PBR from the frig for the master's dinner.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I can't tell you the last time I've seen someone with one. Not saying they're not in my area but I haven't personally seen many of them. The last time I saw one was in Barnes & Nobles and the dog was in its harness and had his "vest"/"jacket" on him that specified "service dog". That's been at least a year ago maybe even two years ago.

I'm a bit surprised there wasn't more third party accounts of this specific occurrence.
Well, color me puzzled. I don't see one each and every time I go to a Costco or Publix, but it's just not that unusual. Very occasionally, I'll see the vest in a blaze orange or yellow, with "SERVICE DOG" on it, but that's the exception. Usually, there's just the harness, with the rigid bracket-style control bar. If you guys are trying to argue me into conceding that they are rare everywhere, you'll get no success. They may be rare where you are and that's your area's loss and mine's advantage over yours...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Well, color me puzzled. I don't see one each and every time I go to a Costco or Publix, but it's just not that unusual. Very occasionally, I'll see the vest in a blaze orange or yellow, with "SERVICE DOG" on it, but that's the exception. Usually, there's just the harness, with the rigid bracket-style control bar. If you guys are trying to argue me into conceding that they are rare everywhere, you'll get no success. They may be rare where you are and that's your area's loss and mine's advantage over yours...
yeah, the bracket bar on the harness is what i usually see. most of the time when i see them in a vest, it is when they are in training. when i rode marta every day, i used to see them in training a lot.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
There are many dogs that are not actually considered "service" dogs but "therapy" dogs and will therefore not have the vest clearly identifying them as such. Therapy animals are used in a variety of ways from providing comfort to the elderly or after a natural disaster or mentally incapacitating occurrence. Just Google service dog. Below is an excerpt from one of the websites. There is one more exception, people use that ruse to garner sympathy and even money, Arab has one but being a small town, it doesn't work anymore plus I think someone threatened them.

But therapy animals also serve in many other ways, including helping people with learning difficulties, helping people with mental and physical therapy, and bringing comfort to people in stressful situations such as those recovering from disaster. Research has shown that contact with a therapy animal helps improve a patient's physical, mental, emotional and social state, which in turn helps them better engage and participate in the process of their treatment and recovery.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
There are many dogs that are not actually considered "service" dogs but "therapy" dogs and will therefore not have the vest clearly identifying them as such. Therapy animals are used in a variety of ways from providing comfort to the elderly or after a natural disaster or mentally incapacitating occurrence. Just Google service dog. Below is an excerpt from one of the websites. There is one more exception, people use that ruse to garner sympathy and even money, Arab has one but being a small town, it doesn't work anymore plus I think someone threatened them.

But therapy animals also serve in many other ways, including helping people with learning difficulties, helping people with mental and physical therapy, and bringing comfort to people in stressful situations such as those recovering from disaster. Research has shown that contact with a therapy animal helps improve a patient's physical, mental, emotional and social state, which in turn helps them better engage and participate in the process of their treatment and recovery.
A couple of years ago my wife was in a physical rehab/nursing home facility recovering from a hospital stay, and on Saturdays the Red Cross brought in a couple of dogs and visited the patients...very well received...as an animal lover (not activist), I enjoyed them myself.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I see dogs in harnesses all the time but never knew they were all service dogs. I just assumed some folks prefer the harness v. collar to maintain control of their dog so it doesn't slip the leash/collar when walking. I could be wrong though.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I think the previous posters comments about the animal possibly being more of a companion type service dog may be the case here. Usually you see the harness with the bar, with those with vision loss. The bar is rigid so the individual can better feel the animal's movements than with a traditional leash. Since this animal may have been more of a companion, it may have been on a traditional leash, possibly sending the wrong signal (that it was a pet) to those encountering them. In no way am I defending anyone that attends that school to the south, but as others have said, there has to be more to this story that what is being told or portrayed by either side.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
It's funny Earle mentioned Publix because that's the place I saw a service dog for the first time in a long time. It was decked in a black jacket with the words, "Do not pet, service dog" on the side. It was rather interesting as I'm like BB and can't recall the last time I saw a service animal either.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.