WVU gets two years probation from violations that occurred while already on probation

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Re: W Virginia gets two years probation while already on probation

Update - Alabama was just given 3 years probation for the WVU violation and will lose 10 scholarships and vacant all wins from last year.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- The NCAA placed West Virginia's athletic department on two years' probation Wednesday for recruiting violations involving illegal text messages and phone calls in 14 sports.

The football team was stripped of one scholarship for the 2013-14 academic year.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-gets-2-years-probation-recruiting-violations

Oh, that had to hurt, I'm sure.
Who's in charge of this investigation, Hans Blix?

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

This was ALL under Athletic Director Oliver Luck's watch. How can he be promoted to an NCAA position when an athletic program does this while he's in charge?

hailwvu

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 3, 2013
Morgantown, WV

How do you give up a scholarship from two years ago?
WVU self reported most, if not all, of the violations and self-instituted penalties back then. Those penalties have just now been accepted by the NCAA as part of the punishment.

Also, just to clarify the thread title: WVU is not already on probation while receiving this 2 year probation.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

WVU self reported most, if not all, of the violations and self-instituted penalties back then. Those penalties have just now been accepted by the NCAA as part of the punishment.

Also, just to clarify the thread title: WVU is not already on probation while receiving this 2 year probation.
The NCAA said the violations occurred while the school was on two years' probation from a previous infractions case involving out-of-season coaching and the use of non-coaching staff to work with players.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

So, if they were Alabama their probation would be extended and they should suffer stiffer penalties, right?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

hailwvu

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 3, 2013
Morgantown, WV

The NCAA said the violations occurred while the school was on two years' probation from a previous infractions case involving out-of-season coaching and the use of non-coaching staff to work with players.
the previous probation, from the Rich-Rod era (you're welcome) has already ended. the thread title is misleading; it implies that the current probation has been handed down while WVU is currently on probation, which is not the case at all. WVU is not currently on probation when this new 2 year probation was handed down this week.

TLDR: WVU put on 2 years probation while not currently on probation; violations did occur while on probation, most of them attributed to the women's gymnastics program

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

the previous probation, from the Rich-Rod era (you're welcome) has already ended. the thread title is misleading; it implies that the current probation has been handed down while WVU is currently on probation, which is not the case at all. WVU is not currently on probation when this new 2 year probation was handed down this week.

TLDR: WVU put on 2 years probation while not currently on probation; violations did occur while on probation, most of them attributed to the women's gymnastics program
Your statement confuses me. WV had violations occur while already on probation. Right or wrong? Yes or no?

B

BroadwayJoe777

This probation feat by West Virginia could only be bested by AuBARN.....:)

hailwvu

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 3, 2013
Morgantown, WV

Your statement confuses me. WV had violations occur while already on probation. Right or wrong? Yes or no?
yes, that's correct. violations occurred in the past while on probation. probation ends. time passes. wvu gets put on new probation.

wvu did not get put on probation while currently (already) on probation.

an accurate thread title would be along the lines of: "wvu gets two years probation for violations that occurred while serving a previous probation"

Last edited:

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

yes, that's correct. violations occurred in the past while on probation. probation ends. time passes. wvu gets put on new probation.

an accurate thread title would be along the lines of: "wvu gets two years probation for violations that occurred while serving a previous probation"

If I beat some one up and the judge puts me on probation for 6 months, and the next day I beat someone else up I shouldn't go to jail for violating my probation if I can prolong sentencing until after my probation is up?

hailwvu

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 3, 2013
Morgantown, WV

If I beat some one up and the judge puts me on probation for 6 months, and the next day I beat someone else up I shouldn't go to jail for violating my probation if I can prolong sentencing until after my probation is up?
sure, i wouldnt argue that at all. one would think that if you screw up while already in trouble for previously screwing up that the penalties would be more severe. dont disagree with you there.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Yes, I see what you mean now. Another case of "I wish I could have re-said that." :redface:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.