Should ISP's offer privacy to its users?

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Just renewed my contract for my internet, faster speeds and lower price yay. But I was reading the contract, for a change, and got to one of the final paragraph and saw something that really kinda irked me. Of course I signed it -what else am I going to do?

This image was way to large to post here, so I uploaded here. http://m.imgur.com/ZRfAjbz.jpg

Anyways, the quote that interests me is:

you agree that atlas broadband is not to be considered a secure communications medium and that no expectation of privacy is afforded to you or any users...
So obviously running an ISP, you'll have to include this kinda stuff I'm sure, legal reasons and you never know what your customers may be into. However, the blatant lack of privacy is pretty scary, and I'm curious if there is anyone who believes an ISP could or even should offer some kind of privacy for their users.

I'll hang up and take your answers off air.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Re: Should ISP's offer privacy to it's users?

Just renewed my contract for my internet, faster speeds and lower price yay. But I was reading the contract, for a change, and got to one of the final paragraph and saw something that really kinda irked me. Of course I signed it -what else am I going to do?

This image was way to large to post here, so I uploaded here. http://m.imgur.com/ZRfAjbz.jpg

Anyways, the quote that interests me is:

So obviously running an ISP, you'll have to include this kinda stuff I'm sure, legal reasons and you never know what your customers may be into. However, the blatant lack of privacy is pretty scary, and I'm curious if there is anyone who believes an ISP could or even should offer some kind of privacy for their users.

I'll hang up and take your answers off air.

I use one now... its called a vpn... Google my ip addresss says I am in Virginia. I pay for it with a filehosting service I use to store my files. Its part of the deal. So how safe am I. If the goverment wants to find me they will. But for joe blow hacker I just feel a bit safer not broadcasting my personal IP address , even when I am sending email it uses the vpn address. and I can change it to one of 3 countries

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com

The only level of privacy they could offer would be to state what they would/would not do with your information...other than that, they can't guarantee protection against the FBI, NSA, Russians, Chinese, Iranians, etc. I imagine that is why that statement is there...

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

VPNs are hot right now. And I understand a standard question would be something along the lines of nothing to fear nothing to hide, if you aren't doing anything wrong, what's it matter?

That thought process is what will get us in trouble one day. Someone said it here earlier, frog>pot>slowly increase temp.

But I'm really curious if someone could create a revolutionary new ISP, perhaps by way of fiber lines, with incredible high speeds and actually decide to go the opposite way in terms of privacy as opposed to most Service Providers in the industry trying to profit off your metadata. I would sign up for that service immediately. A company that provides quality service with a contract designed to actually protect it's users, and actually try to fight for them. Within reason. I mean there's only so much one can do against law enforcement of course. But as far as MPAA, etc. tell em to get lost.

Last edited:

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

I have been noticing an increasing trend of hardware vendors including adware that is increasingly difficult to remove. The only thing that I can figure out for the reasoning is that they are subsidizing the low cost of the laptop with the information they gather from the software they install. There is little reason to believe that your ISP isn't doing the same thing. I have cleaned this junk off of a new HP and a new Dell. Regular spyware stuff defines it as adware, assuming I guess that it was installed by the owner, and it usually gets a free pass by the virus scanners as well. The issue is that most regular joe schmoes have no idea what half of this junk is, as it identifies as being part of the vendors line usually, and if they installed it, its there for a reason right?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

I have been noticing an increasing trend of hardware vendors including adware that is increasingly difficult to remove. The only thing that I can figure out for the reasoning is that they are subsidizing the low cost of the laptop with the information they gather from the software they install. There is little reason to believe that your ISP isn't doing the same thing. I have cleaned this junk off of a new HP and a new Dell. Regular spyware stuff defines it as adware, assuming I guess that it was installed by the owner, and it usually gets a free pass by the virus scanners as well. The issue is that most regular joe schmoes have no idea what half of this junk is, as it identifies as being part of the vendors line usually, and if they installed it, its there for a reason right?
Do what I do. Wipe it and install Linux. :biggrin2:

I hate using Winders as a matter of principle. I can do everything I need on Ubuntu, Mint or Debian.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

Do what I do. Wipe it and install Linux. :biggrin2:

I hate using Winders as a matter of principle. I can do everything I need on Ubuntu, Mint or Debian.
These machines weren't mine so I was doing a favor for family..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Yep. I've got a Toshiba laptop and I cannot remove this hardware/adware called "Strongvault". No matter what I do it will not come off my laptop.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

Odds are what that means is you have another program that you didn't get rid of that is reinstalling it every time. I always make sure to get rid of all the vendor specific installs as well as a few of the other third-party stuff that gets installed on the new machine. Well besides stuff that's obviously drivers that is.

If I was you I would back up my important stuff and do a reinstall but the problem is it's difficult to find just the install media for the Windows operating system without all that crap anymore.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

Yeah, I've got malware bites on my computer. I've run it several times. It says it removes it then when I go back into the computer (after restarting it) it is still installed.
You could try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

I am not a big fan of these free scanners and cleaners, but this one gets a bunch of that kind of stuff off of machines.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

Yeah, I've got malware bites on my computer. I've run it several times. It says it removes it then when I go back into the computer (after restarting it) it is still installed.
Malwarebytes has a forum that lets you post information about a given malware, and within 24 hours they'll reply with directions for removing it. In some cases you may end having to use multiple AV programs (almost all are freeware) to get rid of the auto-reinstall elements of StrongVault.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006

to answer the security question, with a question: What are you willing to pay for that privacy and how difficult do you want your experience? You said you are paying lower prices for faster speeds. Security costs money. Money the ISP will not put up on their own, but will charge you for. Faster speeds plus security/privacy = more money. Security and ease of use are ends of a spectrum on a sliding scale, if you want things easy, it won't be secure, if you want it secure, it won't be easy. Most people just want connected, that's what your ISP is after, those that want to be connected. They don't care about your privacy and their lawyers told them to put that blurb in there, that most people never actually read.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

been using Ubuntu for years and I love it.
Me too for home use and I agree. Not a big fan of the latest default desktop UI though. However, this is somewhat security through obscurity. I have had my share of duties cleaning up after drive by attacks on various Linux systems too. If someone tells you that you don't need any protection on Linux, Apple, BSD, etc. they just mean that they are not targeting you because there isn't as big a market share. Ubuntu's stance on this disagrees based on server market share: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus, but this makes no sense. Most AV and malware targets desktop users to get more penetration and usage, not servers.

Due to my job I am still a majority Windows user. I must stay up to date with software and systems that work well in a corporate environment, and IMO Linux distributions just have not got there yet. I really wish someone would come up with a good single sign on, Active Directory/LDAP/Kerberos, and associated policy type system that truly competes with Windows based systems which have matured over the years.

Back to the ISPs providing privacy. I doubt seriously our current environment is going to allow it. There are too many layers. I had hoped that at some point (perhaps when IPV6 came out) that there would be some sort of second network pop up with more security, a different framework for DNS, and with gateway interfaces to the internet as a whole. It hasn't happened.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I have a Toshiba Laptop I bought about a year ago & I love my Toshiba laptop..It's the best one I've had yet..I was curious as to exactly what "Strongvault" is & does all Toshiba's have it BB????..
Yep. I've got a Toshiba laptop and I cannot remove this hardware/adware called "Strongvault". No matter what I do it will not come off my laptop.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Get your tinfoil hat strapped on real tight and venture here - TOR
You know, if you try to download TOR in any fashion whatsoever, with Comcast as your ISP, you can't. Like almost all, I've accepted the "free" Norton Security Suite, which will prevent your installing it, if you do manage to DL it. It hacked me off, but I use Sandboxie, so, if I want nobody looking over my shoulder, I just run a sandboxed browser window. Even a VPN is really no protection against Comcast. They'll just block you. I used to use VPNs all over Europe. Now, they're almost all blocked...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.