I think our accountant did my tax return wrong

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
So I called the office. I don't think she was too happy that I wanted to do an amended return over so little money. Her thousands of dollars worth of software as she put it only came back with a $9 difference where as I told her when I entered in everything online it came back with a $13 difference. I guess that made her mad. IDK.

Sorry, the government owes me $9 so I want it. Hehehe.
Did you ask her about the $500 differential between your check stubs and W2? Was there an added taxable benefit that you received from them?

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Did you ask her about the $500 differential between your check stubs and W2? Was there an added taxable benefit that you received from them?

I found out what had happened before I called. I thought I only got paid for 52 weeks, but when I checked my pay stubs, it was 53 weeks. I always thought I got paid for 52 weeks so I was mistaken on that. My W2 was correct.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
$9? I would just forget about it.

Well it isn't so much the fact that it is $9, but that my tax return wasn't done properly. She added stuff from my Morgan Stanley non-taxable account to my return when I didn't earn anything from my MS accounts last year. I didn't give her anything, but the statement from the bank where my savings is, my W2, and the health insurance form so I'm not sure why she added the $31 twice onto my return.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
To change the subject a little. I've got a tenant who worked at one low paying job all year. Just one W-2. He used H&R Block for his tax return. They charged him $145 to do his tax return. They they charged him another $40 to wait and take their fee from his refund. $185 for a simple return. At least he didn't pay them another $50 for a refund advance.:mad:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
To change the subject a little. I've got a tenant who worked at one low paying job all year. Just one W-2. He used H&R Block for his tax return. They charged him $145 to do his tax return. They they charged him another $40 to wait and take their fee from his refund. $185 for a simple return. At least he didn't pay them another $50 for a refund advance.:mad:
That's crazy. I don't think I will be using them next year. I had thought about it because I see their lovely ads on tv all the time. My coworker's wife is a CPA. I'm going to see how much she charges.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
$145 for a simple return is a flatout ripoff.

TurboTax really isn't that difficult to use...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Turbo Tax is great! Been doing my own taxes for years. My return is kinda complicated. If you have to compile the data anyway after that you're just filling in the forms anyway.

My brother and I went to a well known CPA after our parents died and we inherited their business. The CPA was just flat out wrong on a couple of major things.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Turbo Tax is great! Been doing my own taxes for years. My return is kinda complicated. If you have to compile the data anyway after that you're just filling in the forms anyway.

My brother and I went to a well known CPA after our parents died and we inherited their business. The CPA was just flat out wrong on a couple of major things.
I'm kinda afraid to do my own because I used Turbo Tax a few years ago. I didn't add something or do something right because I got a letter from the IRS saying I owed them like $350. I also had to pay the state of Alabama $20 (or so I thought). I had this same accountant do an amended return, and it turns out I didn't owe the IRS, and I didn't owe the state. I screwed up somewhere, but mine isn't complicated. My donations aren't enough to help me any so I just have interest received.

Last edited:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
I'm kinda afraid to do my own because I used Turbo Tax a few years ago. I didn't add something or do something right because I got a letter from the IRS saying I owed them like $350. I also had to pay the state of Alabama $20 (or so I thought). I had this same accountant do an amended return, and it turns out I didn't owe the IRS, and I didn't owe the state. I screwed up somewhere, but mine isn't complicated. My donations aren't enough to help me any so I just have interest received.
Just remember that TurboTax is a tool, not a cure. ;) You do have to pay close attention to the questions.

I usually enter everything run the review, and then wait a week and then review everything again to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Of course, this year that approach messed me up, as Intuit started screwing around with their release model in the middle of the tax season, and after the update/upgrade they started asked a bunch of questions that I had never gotten before. But I got it all sorted out.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
$145 for a simple return is a flatout ripoff.

TurboTax really isn't that difficult to use...

My husband uses turbotax and files ours every year. It is very simple and we know it is being done right. We always file as soon as we can and have our money in the first couple weeks of Feb.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Turbo tax is the way to go for probably 80 - 90% of those who file. Take your time and read through all of the questions. I hated the idea for years of paying to file my taxes but it is SO much simpler to use TurboTax than do it yourself or pay someone else a crazy amount to do it. Truth be told, many of the "paid professionals" are also using a computer programs to do it.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Turbo tax is the way to go for probably 80 - 90% of those who file. Take your time and read through all of the questions. I hated the idea for years of paying to file my taxes but it is SO much simpler to use TurboTax than do it yourself or pay someone else a crazy amount to do it. Truth be told, many of the "paid professionals" are also using a computer programs to do it.
That's true. All the money they get paid to prepare taxes is simply to punch in the numbers you give them. The program does the rest, including adding in the amount you owe. Any 5th grader can punch in those numbers, so yeah, it's a great big rip-off. And this is not just an opinion. I know that it's fact. Believe it or not, you are being charged both by the types of forms and the number of pages in the return.
Imo the best bet for most folks used to be Turbo Tax. But now most folks can do do their returns without buying any expensive programs at all by simply using Tax Act. I'm trying not to sound like a commercial for them, but really, it's that simple, and in many cases, it's free.
(http://www.taxact.com/)

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If you run your own business and / or have an estate you wish to protect, a real CPA more than pays for his / her cost. My CPA has saved me countless dollars over the years, and frankly, my time is worth far more than I pay him to handle my business and personal taxes.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Most of them use the professional version of TurboTax.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Right Reb, IRS and most tax programs allow you do do your taxes free online with them and file. For simple returns.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Ya'll talked me into it. Next year I'm going to try it again on my own. It will be a little tougher because I opened up a new investment account so I will have to pay tax on my earnings, but that should be a 1099-div form so maybe it won't be too difficult to do.

Kinda changing the subject, but I've earned more in a month with my investment account than I have in three years with my savings account. Hehe.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Ya'll talked me into it. Next year I'm going to try it again on my own. It will be a little tougher because I opened up a new investment account so I will have to pay tax on my earnings, but that should be a 1099-div form so maybe it won't be too difficult to do.

Kinda changing the subject, but I've earned more in a month with my investment account than I have in three years with my savings account. Hehe.
Most of the major companies like T Rowe Price, Fidelity etc allow a direct import to Turbo Tax

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
H&R Block online is really easy and costs nowhere near $145.
Also, they remember your crap year after year so you don't have to go digging for old documents.
And I am able to import data from several investment accounts.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.