Mitch Gaspard

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I have called for Anthony Grant to be replaced on the basketball board and am pretty sure I will call for Mitch Gaspard's removal in the near future.

The baseball team blows a 9-5 lead in the 7th inning against Houston tonight by giving up 9 runs in the 7th and 8th innings. The pitching ( remember- we have no real pitching coach thanks to Mitch) gives up 8 walks and 6 HIT batters in this game. Just ridiculous.

Microcosm of the past. How about a new coach to go along with the new 45 million dollar stadium?

Sorry for the rant. The basketball game and this put me in a not so great mood.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
lol, I have been calling for his removal since year 2, but he is actually growing on me a little now. :)

rtr

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
We are a football school now. [emoji458]. I do miss the days from the mid to late 90s where our baseball team was a fixture in Omaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
We are a football school now. [emoji458]. I do miss the days from the mid to late 90s where our baseball team was a fixture in Omaha.

Not sure anyone can argue that Vinny, but what if football had to deal with the limited scholarships like baseball has to? There is more parity in college baseball than maybe any other college sport. Hence the reason teams like Kennesaw State can be a college world series participant last year and teams like Troy can be a legit program on a yearly basis. Not knocking other sports by any means but living in the college baseball world is tough due to there being dozens of elite teams and not just a few like football and basketball. It is what it is. Alabama is the 15th winningest college baseball program as of 2012, sorry to lazy to dig deep enough to just went with google's first result. :). Football is 6th overall I believe. Not a major separation there! Just football has won championships while baseball has only been a runner-up.
To get back to the topic at hand, is Gaspard the man to lead us to a championship? Time will tell. I think he will put a team on the field that wins more than loses but not sure that the University of Alabama should have/tolerate that! We should be an Omaha team at least 2-3 times every 5 years in my opinion!
Non of this was intended to flame anyone, so please just take it as an opinion and feel free to submit yours! The baseball board needs some life in it!!!!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Not sure anyone can argue that Vinny, but what if football had to deal with the limited scholarships like baseball has to? There is more parity in college baseball than maybe any other college sport. Hence the reason teams like Kennesaw State can be a college world series participant last year and teams like Troy can be a legit program on a yearly basis. Not knocking other sports by any means but living in the college baseball world is tough due to there being dozens of elite teams and not just a few like football and basketball. It is what it is. Alabama is the 15th winningest college baseball program as of 2012, sorry to lazy to dig deep enough to just went with google's first result. :). Football is 6th overall I believe. Not a major separation there! Just football has won championships while baseball has only been a runner-up.
To get back to the topic at hand, is Gaspard the man to lead us to a championship? Time will tell. I think he will put a team on the field that wins more than loses but not sure that the University of Alabama should have/tolerate that! We should be an Omaha team at least 2-3 times every 5 years in my opinion!
Non of this was intended to flame anyone, so please just take it as an opinion and feel free to submit yours! The baseball board needs some life in it!!!!
I want a good team year in and year out that goes to the tourney and plays good sound baseball. I think being an Omaha team at least 2-3 years every 5 years is unrealistic for any program with the limited schollies and parity in college baseball. I think a more realistic goal would be 1 time in 5 years and make the tourney 4 to 5 out of 5 years and I am hopeful we can make a run at Omaha this year with some luck and good fortune.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I do not think this team will be better than last year's and those guys went 15-14 in the league or something like that. Came one game away from a Super (AT Louisville if I remember right).

That was one of the best overall staffs I ever remember at Bama, and we had Moore, Wass and Smith to give us some pop. This year's story is far from written, but I just don't see any reason to be optimistic that we will do better than we did in 2014.

rtr

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
I want a good team year in and year out that goes to the tourney and plays good sound baseball. I think being an Omaha team at least 2-3 years every 5 years is unrealistic for any program with the limited schollies and parity in college baseball. I think a more realistic goal would be 1 time in 5 years and make the tourney 4 to 5 out of 5 years and I am hopeful we can make a run at Omaha this year with some luck and good fortune.
You are probably correct with the 1 in every 5 years. I got a little carried away...

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Captain Obvious here, but we really need to sweep the weekend series vs. Lipscomb and AA&M. The first 3 SEC series look pretty daunting.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
I was not expecting much this year based on all that we lost last season. Last year's team was pretty good and we really missed a good opportunity in the regional to advance.

Then D1baseball.com came out with us being #20 and I thought maybe I don't know anything.

But I think they missed the boat on this one.

As far as Gaspard goes, I don't think he is in the top half of head baseball coaches in the SEC. He is mediocre which is kinda what our team has become. Good, but not great.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.