Number change - Ronnie Clark changing to #5 - position change sticking?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Guess this means he is going to stick at RB since Cy Jones already has #5 on defense or he's not planning to play at all on defense this year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Here's the full roster

Ronnie is listed as a DB/RB. Going to say he'll practice at both in the spring to add some depth at running back before Harris arrives. It's what he did for the Arkansas game after Drake's injury.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I thought there were doing some 7 on 7 drills on their own, along with 4th quarter conditioning and lifting weight as well. .... No?
honestly don't know, but I always thought the early enrollees didn't go through anything until they'd finished their first round of the 4th quarter program. Even then, the coaches can't participate so it would be hard for them to have gained a lot of confidence in the EE's now.

I did see in Landon Collins draft comments that Hootie was slotted as the Money for the dime package and a reference to playing S later.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The new guys have essentially been on campus for two months without a coach-led practice. Don't think we should read this number change to mean anything about those guys being able to learn the defense and impress the coaches.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
found an article from last summer that said he'd bulked up to over 225 due to the strength program. According to his HS coach, 'Bama wanted him to stay under 218 to play FS, so that didn't happen. at 225 I could see him more as an RB as well, or even an LB, but LB would be out for this year also since Jones wears #5 on defense.

has anyone heard about how he's coming along after his injury last year?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
found an article from last summer that said he'd bulked up to over 225 due to the strength program. According to his HS coach, 'Bama wanted him to stay under 218 to play FS, so that didn't happen. at 225 I could see him more as an RB as well, or even an LB, but LB would be out for this year also since Jones wears #5 on defense.

Curious - where did you find the article? He's listed at 215 on the updated spring roster.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

Landon Collins came in at the Combine around 228 lbs. I wouldn't read too much into weight gain/loss. too early to tell where Clark will end up at.

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Landon Collins came in at the Combine around 228 lbs. I wouldn't read too much into weight gain/loss. too early to tell where Clark will end up at.
and Collins was an SS not an FS. I wasn't reading into it at all, that's what his HS coach said Bama told them the plan was IF he stayed under a certain weight. Here are the direct quotes from the article and a link (McKeller is his HS coach):

"Clark was issued No. 1 to wear at Alabama this summer, but there's another number that's much more crucial to his playing career. According to McKeller, that number is 218. That's the magic number which will determine where he lines up for the Tide.
"They've told him 'Ronnie we want you to play free safety for us but we want you to stay at 218 pounds or less' and that was the deal," McKeller said. "They were all behind him 100 percent at safety if he could do that.""

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/07/what_position_does_alabama_hav.html

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I believe there is going to be an open tryout for a position I call "Fowler". It's a combination of RB/TE/FB/Whatever.

Qualifications are that you be large, strong, nasty running the ball yet have the hands and acrobatic athletisism of lynn swann, You have to enjoy de-cleating people on lead blocks or from the H-Back spot and have little to no interest in "stats" but have every interest in winning and getting to the NFL

I think Bo Scarborough and Ronnie Clark and possibly DeSherrius Flowers will get a look to see who can cut it.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I believe there is going to be an open tryout for a position I call "Fowler". It's a combination of RB/TE/FB/Whatever.

Qualifications are that you be large, strong, nasty running the ball yet have the hands and acrobatic athletisism of lynn swann, You have to enjoy de-cleating people on lead blocks or from the H-Back spot and have little to no interest in "stats" but have every interest in winning and getting to the NFL

I think Bo Scarborough and Ronnie Clark and possibly DeSherrius Flowers will get a look to see who can cut it.
Methinks Bo will be carrying the ball, not blocking for someone else who is.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

I like the idea, but I do not think we will have another Jalston Fowler for a few years. Bo I think would need atleast a year to grow into that position, and we do not know that he does not value stats. Someone once mentioned that Tebow would have made a pretty good TE but he liked the attention of thje QB more. Not that I am saying that Bo would be that way, but he is the biggest player on his team from highschool. Hard to make that stepdown.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Nudie's recruiting profile from Rivals lists him at 6' and 240. Bo is listed at 6'2 and 235 on the team site. He doesn't really have to "grow" into the position.

He can play the Nudie role because of his size and athleticism. Matter of fact, he can be a better Nudie because of his athletic abilities.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.