ESPN's Olbermann won't host show this week over Penn State tweets

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
ESPN announced in a statement Tuesday that commentator Keith Olbermann will not host his show, Olbermann, for the remainder of the week after he had an exchange with Penn State fans on Twitter on Monday night.
In a series of tweets responding to others, Olbermann called Penn State students "pitiful." Some of the exchange is below:

LINK

ESPN statement:

We are aware of the exchange Keith Olbermann had on Twitter last night regarding Penn State. It was completely inappropriate and does not reflect the views of ESPN. We have discussed it with Keith, who recognizes he was wrong. ESPN and Keith have agreed that he will not host his show for the remainder of this week and will return on Monday. The annual tradition of THON and the efforts of the students of Penn State to fight pediatric cancer should be applauded.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm surprised that anyone would be surprised by anything that guy says.

I'm also having a hard time believing I'm about to say this, but here goes: Keith Olberman is a bigger blowhard, and more egotistical than Tim Brando. And that's saying something.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
ESPN announced in a statement Tuesday that commentator Keith Olbermann will not host his show, Olbermann, for the remainder of the week after he had an exchange with Penn State fans on Twitter on Monday night.
In a series of tweets responding to others, Olbermann called Penn State students "pitiful." Some of the exchange is below:

LINK

ESPN statement:
I used to sorta like him when he first started at ESPN, the first time.

After he left, as well as now, he's just an obnoxious BULLY. He's one of those guys that thinks he
is ALL knowing. I'd just call him a "jerk"! He just has a LEFT way of looking at things.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I have a hard time believing that anyone would put that clown on the air. But, this isn't NS, so I'll quit while I am ahead.

But, that was an interesting read. Never been a fan of anything PSU, but it does make some good points. We will never know the whole truth.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I would really hate to go through life with his attitude. I get the feeling he thinks he is probably the smartest man on earth.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I can't stand Olbermann, but I clicked the link hoping to see some insightful statement about how Penn State fans have enthusiastically supported someone who enabled children to be raped. Instead it was just Olbermann being Olbermann, and acting like a jerk, which undermines the real point here... That what happened at Penn State is disgusting and the support shown for people involved in what happened is also disgusting.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
That is a great read. Thanks for posting. Well-reasoned and documented. Blasted Olbermann for the shallow knee-jerk sanctimony that passes for "journalism" nowadays.

I would really hate to go through life with his attitude. I get the feeling he thinks he is probably the smartest man on earth.
Not only does he think he's the smartest man ever, he believes everyone else is a knuckle-dragging idiot.

Karma is biding her time. Sometimes I wish she didn't take so long, but she always gets there. Eventually.

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
Shame on ESPN and parent company Disney to start with. He should never have been on the air. Unfortunately, I think that they are showing a disturbing pattern of mixing social issues and political correctness with a sports network. I don't tune into to ESPN for that, I tune in to get away from that. They knew what they were getting when they hired him for a second time. My goodness, he couldn't even make it on MSNBC among his like-minded people. Statists always reek of arrogance...

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
When he sticks to sports, he's actually a very talented on-air personality (He and Dan Patrick were great together on SportsCenter). Unfortunately, he does not stick to sports.

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
That was an interesting letter.

I hated all the "Kill Penn State" angst that was percolating throughout the country at the time and it appears that maybe some folks were a little quick to jump to their conclusions if the writer can be believed.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
KO is nothing but a pompous, egomaniacal, misogynist. With his background and the PC to extreme culture that ESPN projects I found it hilarious when they rehired him. With this alllll his proclivities will be dragged out by the legion of folks he ticked off. He will not be back at ESPN.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
ESPN hires controversial anchor. Anchor says controversial (stupid) things. ESPN suspends. We have seen this before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It sounds to me like many Penn State fans are now trying to whitewash what Paterno ignored to protect his football reputation. They are in denial about how absolutely disgusting their program was for year after year after year under Paterno.

I get that many people don't generally like Olberman, but let's not let Penn State fans misdirect that hostility towards Olberman to be used to rehabilitate the disgusting Joe Paterno.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
All of this should come as absolutely no surprise to anyone who has even a passing acquaintance with Keith Olberman and his "style". Guy`s a dip. It is indeed difficult to fathom how he can find entities that will employ him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.