Game Thread: ****Official Game (and Post Game) Thread - Bama vs. USC****

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Re: ****Official Game Thread - Bama vs. USC****

I really think we've discovered a jewel in the rough with Norris. It's been fun to watch him develop...
Agreed.

I think that is what we need that the mid majors go after, pure shooters. Forget the stars and go after the shooters who will do anything for the team. They make a difference these days IMO.

Sent from my LG G2 4GLTE via Verizon

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I really think we've discovered a jewel in the rough with Norris. It's been fun to watch him develop...
IMO he's playing out of position when he's playing the #4 foward position which seems to be the case a lot the last few days. Love his hustle and he goes to the boards hard too, but he's more of a hybrid player than could go inside or out, but he seems to look most comfortable out around the three point arch.

I mentioned in another thread that he reminds me of Jim Farmer.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Position? He's a Basketball player. As long as he's not taller than Taylor and CAG isn't running a double low post offense he should fit anywhere on the court.

IMO he's playing out of position when he's playing the #4 foward position which seems to be the case a lot the last few days. Love his hustle and he goes to the boards hard too, but he's more of a hybrid player than could go inside or out, but he seems to look most comfortable out around the three point arch.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Position? He's a Basketball player.
Sure, but you don't put a guard on the post with the trees.

He's only 6'5". Seems as though he's playing the post position on offense. He's not a dynamic jumper so IMO his offensive skills seem to fit a shooting guard more.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

Jim was a little shorter and a bit more athletic but I agree that is a fair comparison. I think you could make the argument that Norris has been our mvp the past few games. A few things I like about Norris is that he is not afraid to shoot, he is not afraid to drive to the basket, he fights for rebounds and lose balls. We need a few more players like him that are scrappy, hard-nosed, fighters. At one point early in the second half Norris drove the lane two times. I think he may have dished off to Taylor and Cooper or perhaps one of the times he shot it himself. Regardless, I would like to see more of that from our players. Releford did that very successfully his freshmen year and I've been disappointed that Randolph and Cooper doesn't do that very often. Your chances of scoring, getting an assist, or drawing a foul dramatically increase when you are aggressive in going to the basket.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

He has excellent rebounding skills and has a knack for finishing around the basket. That's all you need. As I edited in my post, as long as Grant isn't running a double-low post offense he's fine.

Sure, but you don't put a guard on the post with the trees.

He's only 6'5". Seems as though he's playing the post position on offense. He's not a dynamic jumper so IMO his offensive skills seem to fit a shooting guard more.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Jim was a little shorter and a bit more athletic but I agree that is a fair comparison. I think you could make the argument that Norris has been our mvp the past few games. A few things I like about Norris is that he is not afraid to shoot, he is not afraid to drive to the basket, he fights for rebounds and lose balls. We need a few more players like him that are scrappy, hard-nosed, fighters. At one point early in the second half Norris drove the lane two times. I think he may have dished off to Taylor and Cooper or perhaps one of the times he shot it himself. Regardless, I would like to see more of that from our players. Releford did that very successfully his freshmen year and I've been disappointed that Randolph and Cooper doesn't do that very often. Your chances of scoring, getting an assist, or drawing a foul dramatically increase when you are aggressive in going to the basket.
Just an old basketballers opinion, but I think Norris is the best pure shooter on the team. I'd like to see him jacking a lot more threes.

Seem's like Farmer was about 6'3" but I don't know if I'd call him more athletic. He played a lot like Norris does but he (and Gottfried) were really our three point aces in those days.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

He has excellent rebounding skills and has a knack for finishing around the basket. That's all you need. As I edited in my post, as long as Grant isn't running a double-low post offense he's fine.
Yes, why I called him a hybrid player. I think as he learns how to play against longer, taller players he'll get better when he goes inside, but if he'll improve his ball handling skills he could really be a great shooting guard too.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

If I've got someone that scored over 3000 pts. in HS, he undoubtedly knows how to fill it up! The Court and basket are the same dimensions in College as in HS. I will find a way to put him on the court. I don't care if I have to go small, he is playing somewhere!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

If I've got someone that scored over 3000 pts. in HS, he undoubtedly knows how to fill it up! The Court and basket are the same dimensions in College as in HS. I will find a way to put him on the court. I don't care if I have to go small, he is playing somewhere!
Yeah, don't disagree with that and maybe that's what CAG is simply doing...getting him on the floor.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

We're fortunate that it was SoCar on the schedule last night. The team had plenty of excuses to, but didn't give up. Gotta love that.

Hale, Kessens, and Tarrant need some miraculous recuperation(s).

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Norris is 6'7" and was a 4 star player. He was in the ESPN top 100. Holds the Alabama HS career rebounding record. He is a basketball player but I saw that he had a hard time manning up against the USC post player on defense.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/11/basketball_a-list_albertvilles.html

We need a few more like him.
Thanks for the correction on RN's height. Thought I saw a graphic the other night that listed him at 6'5".

Still, as you say, he doesn't match up real well (currently) down low with opposing inside players. Hopefully he will continue to improve both his inside and outside game.

He has the potential to be a "Larry Bird" type player in that he could play inside and out and be pretty good at both. I also like his scrappiness and overall ball skills (before someone asks, I'm not saying he'll be another Larry Bird... :wink:).

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Actually, I think Retin may have the best "natural" rebounding skills.....I just wish he was 4 inches taller.... ;)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Actually, I think Retin may have the best "natural" rebounding skills.....I just wish he was 4 inches taller.... ;)
I think he's our purest athlete for sure. Love his elevation on his jumper and he's really improved his accuracy.

The other day some were saying he'd make a great DB for CNS!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Look at Tarrant'so twitter account. Last time he posted a tweet was late November and he hasn't posted since then. I think he's in doghouse because he didn't look happy on bench during thegame. I think he'll be back either this weekend or SEC tournament.
It's beginning to look odd...

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

A few tidbits.

Norris is actually about 6'6'' or so. He was playing center for a while last night with Jimmy on the bench. He was matched up against much bigger players and pretty much held his own for a freshman. He is getting more and more confident and that is making a world of difference. He also can jump pretty well contrary to what some have said. Norris can really elevate when he needs to. He is not Retin by any means, but he can go after the ball. He has the best fundamentals of any player on the team. Unfortunately, there has been a pattern with freshman though they regress after they have been there for a while.

Retin is by far the best point guard we have right now. He is the only one who can attack the rim consistently. He just needed playing time. The 2 possessions where he stole the ball keyed this victory. His defense is very good and his shooting is improving every game. He also can rebound the ball where Tarrant is pretty much just a scorer.

Rebounding is still an issue. We were out rebounded by 10 last night by a team that isn't even average.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Norris has actually been listed at 6'7" consistently since his senior HS season. His height could be exaggerated an inch or so, but the same goes for every other player on the court. He led the team with seven last night, five on the defensive glass and he hasn't done badly the last several games. He's a smart rebounder with pretty good hops. In fact, he may be fundamentally our best rebounder. I'm only mildly concerned about being out-rebounded last night, considering who we had sitting on the bench. There sure was an immediate improvement with Taylor's return...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.