Link: Nico Johnson Says Blake Barnett Reminds Him of Ryan Mallett, physically...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

Nico Johnson said Blake Barnett kept looking taller and taller the closer he got.

Johnson was on Alabama's practice field watching some older players work out during a visit to campus in January when he saw Barnett, the Tide's five-star freshman quarterback, off to the side throwing passes to one of Alabama's young wide receivers.

Johnson didn't recognize Barnett until someone told him who he was.

The former Alabama and current Cincinnati Bengals linebacker then watched Barnett throw before approaching the young quarterback to talk later on.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Re: Nico Johnson Says Blake Barnett Reminds Him of Ryan Mallett

After reading the article, Nico's referring to physical similarities -- size, arm strength and overall body type.

He also mentioned being impressed after talking to Barnett. I don't think Johnson believes he's like Mallett in terms of leadership and emotional maturity -- thank goodness.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

After reading the article, Nico's referring to physical similarities -- size, arm strength and overall body type.

He also mentioned being impressed after talking to Barnett. I don't think Johnson believes he's like Mallett in terms of leadership and emotional maturity -- thank goodness.
I certainly hope not. Mallett was too easy to rattle and complained to the refs more than most NBA players.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

I certainly hope not. Mallett was too easy to rattle and complained to the refs more than most NBA players.
"He's so tall," Johnson said of Barnett, who enrolled at Alabama in January. "That's what reminded me a lot of Ryan because he's so tall. When I walked up on him, it was like, dang, he kept getting taller and taller. He also has really long arms. And besides him throwing, that's what reminded me of Ryan Mallett, and he has an arm. He has an arm."

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

This kid is special and is going to shock many with his quick development.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Uh... thanks?
Ryan Mallett is in the NFL, he's attempted more passes than AJ, Gmac, and JPW put together. His arm isn't the issue. If Barnett could throw like him, and run like Tebow, he'd be something special....

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005

Ryan Mallett is in the NFL, he's attempted more passes than AJ, Gmac, and JPW put together. His arm isn't the issue. If Barnett could throw like him, and run like Tebow, he'd be something special....
Agreed. When you start complaining about guys that can play in the NFL, that is a lot better than what we have dealt with in the past.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

Ryan Mallett isn't a guy I'd want a Bama QB compared to. He was petulant, easily rattled and had a long, slow delivery. He's tall and has a strong arm, but at Arkansas he didn't show a lot of qualities I'd want in a QB. I'd rather have AJ or Blake over Mallett any day of the week.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Ryan Mallett isn't a guy I'd want a Bama QB compared to. He was petulant, easily rattled and had a long, slow delivery. He's tall and has a strong arm, but at Arkansas he didn't show a lot of qualities I'd want in a QB. I'd rather have AJ or Blake over Mallett any day of the week.
First off, I agree that I'd prefer AJ or Blake, although we don't know how Mallett would have turned out with guidance by Saban. However, what you want in terms of a college quarterback, aside from leadership qualities, and just basic abilities to play the position seems to come down to three things. A: A strong arm, B: Size, C: Mobility.

If you tell me Alabama has a quarterback with mobility, that has Ryan Mallett's, or Kyle Mettenberger's size/arm I'm not going to find a way to complain about it. Much like if someone is compared to Tebow I won't be like, well he doesn't have an NFL arm, or if you compare someone to Cam Newton I'm going to be like oh so he steals laptops and is paid to play college football? I'm as negative as anyone here I guess, but come on, Nico complimented Barnett...

The thing about Barnett is he seems to be the only QB I can remember, in well ever, that really seems to be able to check all the boxes (at Alabama). He might not have the best arm of any Alabama QB ever, but his arm doesn't seem inferior to recent starting Alabama QBs, he has size that Alabama has rarely encountered, and he has mobility right up there with the most mobile QBs Alabama has recruited. It's the complete package, that doesn't mean it will work out, but the potential is exciting, and you will see more comparisons to non-Alabama QBs, because Alabama just hasn't had someone like him...

Last edited:

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

If Barnett throws anything like Mallett did while at Arky, we'll all be happy.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL

Nico is a pro & know QB's so we appreciate his input. I never watched BB play & really looking forward to it.
i just caution that let Kiffin do his job & the Best will play.

We fans tend to put a lot on these kids & we have seen a lot of them struggle.

Like Coach said he has to change them from the HS Super Star to a player that buys into the process. From what I saw that Coach Kiffin can do last year, it makes the future look bright.

Has a date been set for A Day yet?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Nico is a pro & know QB's so we appreciate his input. I never watched BB play & really looking forward to it.
i just caution that let Kiffin do his job & the Best will play.

We fans tend to put a lot on these kids & we have seen a lot of them struggle.

Like Coach said he has to change them from the HS Super Star to a player that buys into the process. From what I saw that Coach Kiffin can do last year, it makes the future look bright.

Not to quibble, but CLK had the ultimate in a player who had already bought into the process thoroughly and molded him. This year's project is going to be far different...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Did some of you even click the link to read the comparison? Nico made the comparison solely on physical traits, not mental or leadership ability.

In the 2010 game, Mallet had 128 yards passing in the first quarter alone. He had 250 yards at halftime. He had 313 at the end of the drive in the third quarter when Arkansas went up 20-7. He finished the game with 357 yards passing. He was the not the reason for the loss. Thankfully, Bobby Petrino didn't realize how good of a running back Kniles Davis was until a few weeks later. Also, Saban and Smart finally started blitzing to put pressure on him.

Here's another comparison for folks. I'm sure some won't be satisfied with it, either.

Pro-Player Comparison: Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers

Blake Barnett is rated as a pro-style quarterback in composite rankings, but he could easily land on the dual-threat list. His ability to sustain plays and do damage downfield as a runner are key reasons why Alabama fans are so compelled by his potential.

"Coach (Lane) Kiffin and Coach (Nick) Saban were very fond about the idea of their quarterback being able to run the ball several times in each game," Barnett told Bleacher Report this summer. "It's something they were looking for and it made sense as a fit for me."

Barnett gained 1,174 yards and 20 touchdowns on the ground as an upperclassman. He's a long-striding runner who picks up steam in a hurry, much like Kaepernick.

Barnett doesn't flash the rifle that Kaepernick currently boasts, but he could approach that level of velocity through physical development, and he threw for a career-high 3,392 yards in 2014. Accuracy can be a shortcoming for both quarterbacks, but their balanced skill sets and desirable size create an intriguing combination.
April 18

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Did some of you even click the link to read the comparison? Nico made the comparison solely on physical traits, not mental or leadership ability.

In the 2010 game, Mallet had 128 yards passing in the first quarter alone. He had 250 yards at halftime. He had 313 at the end of the drive in the third quarter when Arkansas went up 20-7. He finished the game with 357 yards passing. He was the not the reason for the loss. Thankfully, Bobby Petrino didn't realize how good of a running back Kniles Davis was until a few weeks later. Also, Saban and Smart finally started blitzing to put pressure on him.

Here's another comparison for folks. I'm sure some won't be satisfied with it, either.

April 18
It's odd how people take things. I never assumed he meant anything but physical, but, after so many people stretched for the unfavorable aspect, I stuck that last word on. It's obvious, with no playing time yet, that it would be impossible to see if any of the other comparisons offered fit...

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999

That's a compliment in my book. I think Nico's comments were only comparing physical attributes, not overall player qualities. Spring ball should be interesting and if BB can squeeze his way into the #2 position than in 2016 it is go time! With Coker and countless others able to play next year there is no rush getting this guy prepared for the future.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL

Not to quibble, but CLK had the ultimate in a player who had already bought into the process thoroughly and molded him. This year's project is going to be far different...
Yes I agree absolutely however one could look at Coker & may assume the it's owed to me status. I don't know, but we have seen some real strong talent not buy in quickly. I hope he does, I hope they all do but how a 17-18 year old is going to react is a huge challenge in my view.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.