News Article: Records: LSU Slapped with Recruiting Sanctions After Prospect Backs Out of Commitment

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
The NCAA has made things so complicated and convoluted, that now I'm seeing folks on this site showing sympathy for LSU. Never thought I'd see the day.
We Tidefans(.com) are renowned for our fairness regarding other programs. Especially those with Tigers for mascots. :)

Almost as much as our respect for the NCAA. :biggrin:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The NCAA has made things so complicated and convoluted, that now I'm seeing folks on this site showing sympathy for LSU. Never thought I'd see the day.
I wouldn't say we're showing sympathy for LSU. We're just looking at the rule - based on the article - and seeing how absurd it is and hoping we don't find ourselves in the same boat down the road.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Here's the AJC's Michael Carvell's take on the issue.

I asked UGA’s Mark Richt last week about this: What happened to all the fuss from college coaches about kids signing early financial-aid agreements (FAA) with multiple schools?

It one of the recruiting’s hottest topics back in 2014 for reasons I’ll mention later, but you barely heard a peep about it this past year.

“Yeah, you didn’t hear much about that, and I don’t know if it will become a big issue again or not,” Richt said.

“I think part of what slowed it down a little bit this year (was the NCAA’s warning last April) — that if a kid signs with four schools, he can only go to one; and then the other three are supposedly on the hook for some kind of violation because the kid didn’t go there.”

Maudiemae

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2003
West Palm Beach, Florida
I don't have sympathy for them, I just don't follow what actually happened and whether or not this will mean bad news for others. The article was very unclear. I read it through a link on Facebook and then hurried right over here to see if anybody else understood stuff that I did not.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I'm not a LSU fan but this just doesn't seem right unless they contacted him during what would otherwise be a dead period in recruiting.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
So did LSU have unlimited contact with the recruit or not? From the article:

David Womack, Matt Womack’s father, told The Clarion-Ledger in the fall that LSU coaches were not planning to contact his son on an unlimited basis because Matt wasn’t completely firm on enrolling early or on his commitment to LSU.

“LSU is not using (the FAA) because if Matt was to change his mind they would have to report it,” David Womack told The Clarion-Ledger.

Seems like they knew ahead of time to give the FAA to him and then only contact him during periods when "normal" recruiting contact is allowed. I guess this is what any program should do.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
So did LSU have unlimited contact with the recruit or not? From the article:

David Womack, Matt Womack’s father, told The Clarion-Ledger in the fall that LSU coaches were not planning to contact his son on an unlimited basis because Matt wasn’t completely firm on enrolling early or on his commitment to LSU.

“LSU is not using (the FAA) because if Matt was to change his mind they would have to report it,” David Womack told The Clarion-Ledger.

Seems like they knew ahead of time to give the FAA to him and then only contact him during periods when "normal" recruiting contact is allowed. I guess this is what any program should do.
Something makes me think the violation did not occur with Womack. IIRC, the first article that I read about LSU's sanctions said they were the result of violations with an unknown athlete, then went on to lay out the chain of events with Womack. I'm thinking that LSU did not release the name or the details of the player actually involved and the media just ran with the Womack info because it was already out there and the fact that he signed with Bama.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
That's even better. I love how CNS lives in their heads.
So after reading corn dog boards over the last couple days I've found a couple of popular viewpoints.

Almost all Alabama fans are saying this is crap I don't care who you are.
About half of LSU fans say that is CNS fault and another reason not to hate him.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Something makes me think the violation did not occur with Womack. IIRC, the first article that I read about LSU's sanctions said they were the result of violations with an unknown athlete, then went on to lay out the chain of events with Womack. I'm thinking that LSU did not release the name or the details of the player actually involved and the media just ran with the Womack info because it was already out there and the fact that he signed with Bama.
Thanks; this makes sense. I saw the comment about the unknown athlete but I got lost when Womack's name popped up.

I did get the jist that coaches were aware of the potential issue and could make sure to stay within the standard guidelines like David Womack mentioned.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Something else came up with LSU again, LSU & A&M are being sued by Chavis over contract disputes. So icy down there in the bayou this winter.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I can see the need for the rule. It can give schools getting an FAA in place advantages in recruiting during dead or limited contact periods over schools that don't. Enforcement is a nightmare given you are dealing with some 17-18-19 year olds that can't decide what socks to wear on a given day, much less what university they'll attend. I would hate to seen any school get screwed based on a waffling teenager.

Seems simple to me: Eliminate unlimited contact by coaches (Athletic Department and University Administration allowed) when a FAA is signed or eliminate unlimited contact with the FAA all together or have a early signing period.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Something else came up with LSU again, LSU & A&M are being sued by Chavis over contract disputes. So icy down there in the bayou this winter.
I just saw the Chavis story and it just seems weird. Suing your current employer is always a good idea.

as for the sanctions, I don't know what to think of this. The NCAA just needs to go away forever.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I can see the need for the rule. It can give schools getting an FAA in place advantages in recruiting during dead or limited contact periods over schools that don't. Enforcement is a nightmare given you are dealing with some 17-18-19 year olds that can't decide what socks to wear on a given day, much less what university they'll attend. I would hate to seen any school get screwed based on a waffling teenager.

Seems simple to me: Eliminate unlimited contact by coaches (Athletic Department and University Administration allowed) when a FAA is signed or eliminate unlimited contact with the FAA all together or have a early signing period.
Why are the coaches allowed unlimited contact when they have the FAA in place? I was assuming it was because the kid is getting ready to enroll in school, and they need the additional contact to make all of the necessary arrangements. If that is the case, it wouldn't be right to take that away.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
as for the sanctions, I don't know what to think of this. The NCAA just needs to go away forever.
Far be it from me to get in the way of anyone's dislike of the NCAA, but according to the article this punishment was handed down by the SEC, NOT the NCAA.

From the article: "The penalties, handed down by the Southeastern Conference and reported by the school Feb. 3, stem from a violation that occurred this fall involving an unnamed recruit."

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
LSU has a lot of distractions on their plate, just from the outside looking in it doesn't look too stable in BR, might have some carry over to on the field performance.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Far be it from me to get in the way of anyone's dislike of the NCAA, but according to the article this punishment was handed down by the SEC, NOT the NCAA.

From the article: "The penalties, handed down by the Southeastern Conference and reported by the school Feb. 3, stem from a violation that occurred this fall involving an unnamed recruit."
my mistake.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.