News Article: Records: LSU Slapped with Recruiting Sanctions After Prospect Backs Out of Commitment

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Far be it from me to get in the way of anyone's dislike of the NCAA, but according to the article this punishment was handed down by the SEC, NOT the NCAA.

From the article: "The penalties, handed down by the Southeastern Conference and reported by the school Feb. 3, stem from a violation that occurred this fall involving an unnamed recruit."
Is this just the SEC getting out in front of an NCAA violation, or has the SEC set tougher rules than the NCAA here? I had no idea that this was a concern until I read this thread and the links within.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Is this just the SEC getting out in front of an NCAA violation, or has the SEC set tougher rules than the NCAA here? I had no idea that this was a concern until I read this thread and the links within.
I think your are correct. We know how competitive recruiting is today and especially in the SEC. I think it is conference's way of saying "you better be using the FAA for it's intended purpose and this to get a student athlete prepared to enroll at YOUR school and not as a way a gaining an edge in the recruiting game". In other words, coaches better feel pretty darn sure the kid is truly committed to them before they stick the FAA in front them.

Still, I think it is a bad rule. Their nothing binding student athlete to the university or vise versa in the FAA. However, coaches and the universities are assuming the risk of penalties for that additional contact with the player. I don't know if I would want to stick my neck out too far on a decision being made by a 17 or 18 year old.

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I know many are enjoying this because it's a hated rival but this is bad for college football. It is only a matter of time before the shoe is on the other foot and we will be the ones up in arms. Unless there are details we don't know about, it's a bad move by the SEC.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I know many are enjoying this because it's a hated rival but this is bad for college football. It is only a matter of time before the shoe is on the other foot and we will be the ones up in arms. Unless there are details we don't know about, it's a bad move by the SEC.
As I said before, I agree that it's a bad rule. I just hope we don't have any of these agreements with recruits...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Until we know the whole story we have no idea whether this is fair / unfair, good / bad.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Until we know the whole story we have no idea whether this is fair / unfair, good / bad.
I think all the information needs to come out from the start when something of this nature is released to the media. All the speculation and finger pointing going on is unnecessary in my view.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
As I said before, I agree that it's a bad rule. I just hope we don't have any of these agreements with recruits...
We had agreements with recruits because Thompson, Harrison and Barnett all had "signing" ceremonies when they signed them.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think all the information needs to come out from the start when something of this nature is released to the media. All the speculation and finger pointing going on is unnecessary in my view.
I agree, but I'm also unsure as to where this info came from in the first place. If it was released by LSU and not the SEC, then there could be some bias there right out of the gate.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
I agree, but I'm also unsure as to where this info came from in the first place. If it was released by LSU and not the SEC, then there could be some bias there right out of the gate.
I agree. That article in the Advocate is a walking contradiction. First, they say sanctions were levied based on recruiting violations with an unknown player. Next, they detail Womack's story of signing the FAA and the fact that he was not a firm LSU commit. Later on, they state that it is unclear if any other athletes beside Womack and LSU's 4 early enrollees signed FAAs. How can it be unclear if you state that they got in trouble over an unknown player who signed an FAA?

All of the information currently out there on this is from this article which says it is from public records. It only states that LSU declined to comment. Why didn't they provide excerpts from LSU's self reporting document or the notice of sanctions from the SEC office? For a rule that could have serious ramifications, no other media outlet has picked it up to my knowldege.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I agree. That article in the Advocate is a walking contradiction. First, they say sanctions were levied based on recruiting violations with an unknown player. Next, they detail Womack's story of signing the FAA and the fact that he was not a firm LSU commit. Later on, they state that it is unclear if any other athletes beside Womack and LSU's 4 early enrollees signed FAAs. How can it be unclear if you state that they got in trouble over an unknown player who signed an FAA?

All of the information currently out there on this is from this article which says it is from public records. It only states that LSU declined to comment. Why didn't they provide excerpts from LSU's self reporting document or the notice of sanctions from the SEC office? For a rule that could have serious ramifications, no other media outlet has picked it up to my knowldege.
I took the Advocate article to say "The recruit is unnamed, but Matt Womack is the only player we know signed a financial agreement and didn't enroll in January."

There could be another player, but no other recruit announced signing the financial agreement. Therefore, Womack is the most obvious name.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.