News Article: Records: LSU Slapped with Recruiting Sanctions After Prospect Backs Out of Commitment

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

A recruit’s decision not to enroll at LSU after signing a financial aid agreement has the football program in some hot water.

LSU is banned from signing early enrollee recruits to financial aid agreements for the next two years, and the program will be stripped of 10 percent of its recruiting evaluation days in 2015, according to public records obtained by The Advocate.

The penalties, handed down by the Southeastern Conference and reported by the school on Feb. 3, stem from a violation that occurred this fall involving an unnamed recruit.

The recruit signed a financial aid agreement with LSU intending to enroll early in January, but he decided not to enroll at the school. That makes at least some of LSU’s unlimited contact with the prospect illegal.

LSU officials declined comment.

Matt Womack, an offensive tackle from Mississippi, signed a financial aid agreement with LSU in August intending to enroll at the school in January. Instead, Womack de-committed - as hundreds of prospects do each year - and signed a National Letter of Intent with Alabama in February.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Wait, did I read that right? So, the player signed a financial aid agreement making contact with the recruit legal but, then he de-commits and now that contact that had already happened is retroactively made illegal? As much as I love laughing at LSU, this doesn't seem at all fair for the schools. Did I miss something?

If I was a recruit, I'd love to sign a FAA with Auburn, with no real intention of ever going, then de-commit just to get them in a little trouble!

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
Apparently, the coaches understand that if the player doesn't enroll early, the unlimited contact can be deemed a violation. So, you should be very selective about who you let sign a FAA or monitor the amount of contact for soft commit. According to Womack's father, LSU did not plan on unlimited contact with him because he wasn't sure he was going to enroll early and it was not a firm commitment.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This sounds like a really bad scenario for LSU. Not being able to sign these agreements will hurt their recruiting, but it's also the first scenario I can really think of in which a school can kind of retroactively break the rules. It seems like an issue all schools can run into.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..I love how Coach Saban is able to get in the heads of the Swamp Kittens & Barner Fans head without even trying to..If either school win the SEC or a NC, they can't enjoy their Championships, all they worry about is Alabama & Coach Saban..I love it too..It much be a miserable life that doesn't allow you to enjoy the bounty of your own players endless hours hard work..
That's even better. I love how CNS lives in their heads.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Yup..I love how Coach Saban is able to get in the heads of the Swamp Kittens & Barner Fans head without even trying to..If either school win the SEC or a NC, they can't enjoy their Championships, all they worry about is Alabama & Coach Saban..I love it too..It much be a miserable life that doesn't allow you to enjoy the bounty of your own players endless hours hard work..
THIS....

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I guess I don't understand the story, either. This doesn't seem good for anybody.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
If the NCAA could figure out a process for an early signing date, it would seem like the obvious solution. Why is anyone allowed to sign a financial aid agreement intending to enroll at a school in January if they aren't sure where they intend to go? Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like this stuff is overly complicated.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
If the NCAA could figure out a process for an early signing date, it would seem like the obvious solution. Why is anyone allowed to sign a financial aid agreement intending to enroll at a school in January if they aren't sure where they intend to go? Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like this stuff is overly complicated.
Not wanting to slam recruits but they ought to bear some responsibility too. After all, they did sign a financial aid agreement BEFORE signing on NSD. This whole system needs some attention.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Unless the story left something out, the process needs some fixing. Wonder if the issue is Womack not enrolling in any school in January. He signed his LOI on NSD, so that may be the problem.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Wait, did I read that right? So, the player signed a financial aid agreement making contact with the recruit legal but, then he de-commits and now that contact that had already happened is retroactively made illegal? As much as I love laughing at LSU, this doesn't seem at all fair for the schools. Did I miss something?

If I was a recruit, I'd love to sign a FAA with Auburn, with no real intention of ever going, then de-commit just to get them in a little trouble!
I'm like everyone else. I read it twice. I hope we're not gambling on any recruits. It just seems too risky, when you're dealing with teenagers...

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
The NCAA has made things so complicated and convoluted, that now I'm seeing folks on this site showing sympathy for LSU. Never thought I'd see the day.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.